TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The TPR Cookbook

jamesdillaman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All these strange measurements are confusing me. What on earth is a cup? (I can only think of that DREADFUL video with 2 girls in it when the word is mentioned..)

It's our silly Imperial system of measurement. To translate to those using the Metric system (i.e. the rest of the world): 1 cup = 0.24 liters.

-Doug

I usually just wing it, when I'm making chili, but when I made up this version, my husband made me write it down, so I could make it again. It's our favorite, now.

Halloween Chili

1 pound black beans, cooked (I like to cook dried beans in a slow cooker, but you could use canned, too)

1 lb ground turkey, beef, or 1 cup TVP (add 1 cup water) for vegan version

1 large onion, diced

2 large cloves garlic, diced

3 large carrots, diced

1 1/2 cups green pepper, diced (I like to use chopped frozen pepper, to save time)

1 Tbs vegetable, canola, or olive oil

1 large can crushed tomato

2 cans diced tomato with jalapeno

1 can diced tomato with chiles

3 Tbs chili powder

salt and pepper to taste

Soak and cook black beans, if using dried beans.

Brown turkey or beef.

Saute onion, garlic, carrots, and green pepper in oil, until softened.

Combine all ingredients and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (Or simmer in a slow cooker for several hours.)

^ Your husband is right. We have a couple of things that we make here and just "wing it" when it comes time to make them. But writing it down is a good idea. At some point, I'll post my recipe for chicken pesto pizza and spaghetti sauce here.

And, yes, they're two different recipes...

Eric

These are great! I'll definitely have to give some of these a try.

Last week for Halloween, I made pumpkin muffins using a recipe from Disneyland. I did it without the icing, but they were still delicious!

Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Icing

Pumpkin Muffins:

2 cups pumpkin purée (canned)

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

3 large eggs

3/4 cup canola oil

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. baking soda

3/4 tsp. cinnamon

3/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla until well blended.

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg over the pumpkin mixture and whisk until just blended. Over mixing may result in less tender muffins.

Fold in the raisins until consistently distributed.

Portion mixture into muffin pans and bake at 325 degrees F for 25 minutes.

Insert a toothpick into center of muffin and remove. If toothpick is clean, the muffins are ready. If not, allow muffins to cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until toothpick is clean.

Allow muffins to cool for 30–60 minutes.

Cream Cheese Icing:

1 cup unsalted butter

1 1/2 cups cream cheese

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 cups powdered sugar

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Allow cream cheese and butter to soften at room temperature for about an hour.

Mix cream cheese and butter together until smooth.

Add vanilla extract, powdered sugar and cinnamon, and mix until well blended.

Remove from mixer, and cover and refrigerate until needed.

Fill a pastry bag fitted with a star tip with icing.

Poke a hole into the center of each cooled muffin and squeeze icing directly into the middle of the muffin, finishing with a rosette on the top.

I made this up last year for a Holiday Desert Contest at work and won a prize.

Cinnamon Stars

Cup of sugar

1/4 Cup of Cinnamon (can be changed according to taste)

Bag of Flour Tortillas

Pour sugar and cinnamon into a one gallon ziplock bag.

Thoroughly shake to mix.

With a "star" shaped cookie cutter, cut as many star shapes as you can from each tortilla.

Heat a quart of vegetable oil at a very low temperature in sauce pan. (Please do not turn the heat too high or leave the oil unattended. No fires, this is not Cooking with Joe).

Stop dropping the tortilla stars into the oil and as soon as they puff up remove them, place them in the ziplock bag and shake. Remove stars from bag and place on a serving plate to cool.

When ready to serve, you can pour either honey or chocolate syrup over the top. Or eat plain.

Ohana's Peanut Dipping Sauce

(From AllEarsNet)

Yield: 2 quarts

Ingredients

1 oz. garlic in oil

1 teaspoon Thai curry paste

16 oz. soy sauce

1 1/4 lbs. sugar

14 oz. peanut butter

1 oz. fresh ginger, finely chopped

salt & pepper to taste

chopped green onions & peanuts for garnish

Method:

1. In a medium saucepan, lightly saute' garlic in a small amount of oil.

Stir in curry paste. Add soy sauce and bring to a simmer.

2. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and

continue to stir. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Remove from heat and chill.

4. Serve in bowls for dipping garnished with chopped green onions and

peanuts.

You are now the official best person ever. Does Allears.net have all the disney food? I want to see if I can make a zebra dome from animal kingdom lodge.

a recipe for everywhere it becomes winter the next months. It does not look and sound very tasty but it really is. Green pea-soup.

(My mothers) Green Pea-soup

Ingredients

500gr split peas

1 pork steak a 200gr

2 large potato’s, cleaned, skinned and diced

¼ turnip-rooted celery, cleaned, skin carved off and diced

300 to 500gr. Assorted vegetables, carrot, leek, celery, cauliflower in the amount you like. All dissected into small pieces. (or use a bag of pre-cut soup vegetables from your local supermarket)

Bouillon or broth for about 2 liters of soup (we use bouillon dices, but you can use what you want)

Salt

Pepper

1 large sausage (traditionally you will need a smoked sausage)

(for vegetarians, get rid off the meat and use some more potato)

Wash the split peas and bring to boil in 3 liters of water. Add the whole pork steak, potato dices, vegetables, turnip-rooted celery dices and the bouillon or broth. Add some salt and pepper. Boil for an hour. Then take out the pork steak, chop it up in small pieces and add to the soup again. Boil for another hour.

!While boiling, keep stirring once in a while to prevent burning!

Add the end add some salt and pepper to your liking.

While boiling the soup let the sausage well in hot, but not boiling, water for half an hour. Cut up into small pieces and serve in the soup.

You can serve bread with the soup or as we like, rye bread and bacon.

You can even deep-freeze this soup and it will not affect the taste

erwtensoep.jpg.7cad560bf24af52c7b452a694ca94b01.jpg

I know, it looks like puke. But the taste is great

rookworst.jpg.4ab67c325d4acd8894fa51f01e31020f.jpg

smoked sausage

This is one of my absolute favorite recipes.

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake

Cake:

1 18 1/4-ounce package yellow cake mix

1 egg

8 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

8 tablespoons butter, melted

1 16-ounce box powdered sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Prepare Filling

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter and beat together.

Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spread over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little gooey.

Servings: 6 to 8 servings

Prep Time: 30 min

Cook Time: 40 min

Difficulty: Easy

All these sound awesome! I want to play!

French Grilled Cheese

2 slices of rye bread

2 slices of thin-cut deli ham

1 slice Swiss cheese

Butter

Honey

Dijon mustard

1. Butter both sides of both slices of bread, then liberally coat a frying pan with more butter and melt.

2. Cover one side of one slice of bread with honey and place it, butter side down, into the pan. Add ham, then cheese.

3. Cover one side of the other slice of bread with dijon mustard and place it on top of the cheese, mustard side down. Grill until golden on each side.

4. Repeat as necessary for additional sandwiches.

This thing is like 1,000 calories, but I promise it will be the absolute best hot sandwich you've ever tasted! I won my now-ex-girlfriend over by making these one night and pairing them with hand-made pomme frites with a homemade garlic-pepper sauce, toasted baguette slices with Alfredo dipping sauce, a nice wine and French vanilla ice cream with warm homemade butterscotch caramel rum sauce and chocolate seashells.

^^I got into a "pumped up grilled cheese" phase a while ago, and made some very similar sandwhiches. Ham, provolone, and I'd make a spread out of honey and spicy mustard. So amazing.

^^^And Renee, I saw Paula's Gooey Butter Cake at a Walmart one time. Of course, it was full of random unpronounceable crappy things, but it was tasty. I really have to get around to making her real one.

This sounds crazy, but try it, it's really good! It's sort of a breakfast bread. You can use any flavor of ice cream. Just make sure you don't use low-fat or fat-free ice cream because it won't work.

Ice Cream Bread

1 pint (2 cups) ice cream, softened

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour

Stir together ice cream and flour, stirring just until flour is moistened. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8x4 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.

I just made a vanilla loaf. It's really good! Super fluffy. Sweet and tasty. Thanks for the recipe!

-Nick

You are now the official best person ever. Does Allears.net have all the disney food? I want to see if I can make a zebra dome from animal kingdom lodge.

Well, they do have a LOT of the recipes, including the zebra domes.

http://allears.net/din/rec.htm

I made the 'Ohana bread pudding from the recipe on that website a while back and it turned out great! There are so many other things I need to try on there.

i hope you made your corgi sit and speak before you gave him the scraps

thanks for pointing him out. there were indeed some scraps, and i waited till i was done making everything before handing out any scraps. I would have given them more, but my fiancee made me wait and hand them out equally. i also have a jack russell. can't show preferential treatment.

Renee - I love Gooey Butter Cakes! I always make marble ones though and add some melted chocolate to a bit of the batter and then swirl it through. Those things are heavenly!

Here is a yummy cupcake recipe I recently made for the annual Cupcake Bake-Off I host:

Snickerdoodle Cupcake

(Makes 12 - Preheat oven to 350 degrees)

1 1/2 cups flour - I sifted mine but it wasn't in the recipe

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup buttermilk (I made my own by mixing milk and vinegar)

* I added a bit of nutmeg but it wasn't in the recipe.

Topping - Combine:

1 tbsp sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter and eggs until smooth. Whisk in vanilla extract. Alternatively whisk in flour mixture and buttermilk, mixing thoroughly but not ovemixing.

3. Scoop batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar topping mixture on top of cupcakes. Bake in preheated oven for 20 (to 25) minutes or until golden brown and tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack. Frost when completely cool.

I love buttercream frosting but it is so hard to make at home! I found this to be the best recipe, the dash of salt really helps.

Buttercream Frosting

1 cup butter, softened

3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

1 teaspoon milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon salt

1. I just mix it all together.

Lastly sprinkle with a dusting of cinnamon/sugar mix!

I will be posting more. This is fun!

Renee - I love Gooey Butter Cakes! I always make marble ones though and add some melted chocolate to a bit of the batter and then swirl it through. Those things are heavenly!

I actually have one baking right now! It's been a while since I've made one - hopefully it'll turn out ok!!