TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

I rarely post on here. Here it goes..... WOW ! I have never expected Thorpe Park to come out with something of this scale.

I have spent the past few days staring at the plans on my computer screen in amazement! So pleased that the big boys are returning to the UK. The theming looks brilliant...Thorpe Park actually trying ?

Apparently they have had to scrap plans for adding theming in the lake...probably due to issues like flooding etc.

Yes the layout does seem a tad short but hey size is not everything.. in 1994 a roller coaster opened here in the UK that proved that size is not everything and that a ride can still be world class. That roller coaster continues to be rated amongst the highest ranking coasters... that ride is Nemesis at Alton Towers. I understand why there is negativity about how short or how small a ride is because we don't have many long rides over here.. but Nemesis is the No 7 steel roller coaster and that barely lasts a minute and there are many coasters out there that last a long duration and which offer rather poor ride experiences.

LC12 is going to bring something completely new to the UK and we very rarely get something that breaks the 100' ft mark and a ride that has incredible theming of a European scale! LC12 could see the return of brilliantly themed attractions in the UK. Merlin have been very unpopular due to their Annual Pass and price increasing antics...but I think we know what the perk cuts and price increases were going towards...the amazing B&M beasts opening at three Merlin theme parks! The only concern I have really is that Thorpe can't get enough of depressing themes like major catastrophes or death.... let's hope we have a less depressing theme in 2015!

The ride's height (126'ft) is on par with coasters in America and Europe and the layout interacts with the theming very well..also something that coasters in certain American and European parks do as well so yeah this is a very exciting development for the UK!

Very pleased about this addition.

LC12....BRING IT ON !

Posted screenshots of some of the plans below for those who can't access the planning portal

LOL Agreed with you there Im just worried this theme is a little simlar. Rumour is going about it might be Final Destinatin 5 IP... I hope not...

Heard no such rumour. Doubt they will chose another IP to be honest .

Apparently they have had to scrap plans for adding theming in the lake...probably due to issues like flooding etc.

Almost right, if you read all of the extra materials in the plans, it explains....all they had to do was adjust the location of the crashed plane from in the lake to just out of the lake, this was due to the possibility of contamination to the water.

The second inversion is 100' ft so yeah I think it's pretty safe to say that it will tower over the park . The inversions are all pretty high to be honest. More recreations are on the way and Thorpe Park Mania should have a more accurate recreation soon.

Edit: It appears that there is more theming than we thought. If you look at this screenshot I took there is an overturned car. There must be more bits of theming like this in the plans just waiting to be discovered .

Edited by Rollercoaster5000

I hope these B&M wing walker rides are good, the Layout for Raptor at GardaLand looks kinda dull to me (kinda like everything else from B&M in the past 5 years) but well see how good it is after opening. I love the concept just hope it works out.

But this new ride for Thorpe looks really cool, Raptor looks like it has some nice themeing as well, but I really really like the theme of this one for Thorpe. Hope its good!

Okay I take back everything i said about X-Raptor, some new pictures I saw today of that thing looks pretty awesome. Im sure this project for Thorpe will be similarly, thus similarly awesome!

Great news for Thorpe as they continue to push for the most thrilling rides in the UK. The plans mention an £18m rollercoaster project. I wondre if this is a deal with B&M for LC12 AND the coaser coming in 2015 or just for LC12? There sure is a lot of theming and work to be done to build the coaster over water as well as linking the island to the rest of the park with a bridge etc.

But no, this still doesn't justify the removal of perks from the Merlin Annual Passes! They money raised from that would be a drop in the ocean for an £18m budget.

Just make the ride and experience so amazing that we forget about the removal of perks!

It's a 3 coaster deal for 3 Merlin theme parks; Thorpe Park, Garaland and Heide Park. I'm hoping for air-time in 2015...B&M (mini) hyper coaster ftw...or an Intamin Megalite lol! Tbh though this has made me forget completely about that horrendous water slide opening in the coming season ...wait I've just been reminded again ! Hopefully Storm Surge will only stay for a few years...the sooner they get rid of that monstrosity the better!

Edited by Rollercoaster5000

A three coaster, pan-European deal price wouldn't be mentioned in the plans for this ride. Either LC12 has a projected budget of £18m, or the £18m budget is for both Thorpe coasters.

£18m is a high budget for this ride but I think it's more likely than that figure being spread over two rides.

£18 million is the most thorpe have spent on a roller coaster...which is very impressive. Definitely shows that they are pulling out all the stops to ensure that we do get an immersive and very thrilling ride experience. What is interesting really is the amount of money Merlin have spent on adding new coasters to the UK has increased significantly! For their most recent additions SAW was £12 million, Th13teen was £15 million and now they are spending a whopping £18 million on LC12! I think this means that within the next ten years we could see some world class roller coasters with highly immersive theming in the UK once again due to the higher budgets!

A three coaster, pan-European deal price wouldn't be mentioned in the plans for this ride. Either LC12 has a projected budget of £18m, or the £18m budget is for both Thorpe coasters.

£18m is a high budget for this ride but I think it's more likely than that figure being spread over two rides.

I think you will find that a large percentage of that budget is covering the infilling of the land to create this new Island, this started last year so they could take their time and spread the cost, the approx cost of the new coaster and themeing is probably closer to £14 million......

Yes it is easy to reach Thorpe Park from London. Simply get a train from Waterloo to Staines Station where you hop on the Thorpe Park express bus.

Thanks!

Definately going to do that either sometime this year or early next year, cause I still wont have time to do it in my March trip - It will be my first time to London, I can't WAIT!

I think you will find that a large percentage of that budget is covering the infilling of the land to create this new Island, this started last year so they could take their time and spread the cost, the approx cost of the new coaster and themeing is probably closer to £14 million......

Yes, but it's still an immense figure. Think back to the landscaping required for Nemesis and Oblivion and recall their budgets.

Yes, but it's still an immense figure. Think back to the landscaping required for Nemesis and Oblivion and recall their budgets.

Oblivion cost £12 million, but remember....Inflation/Cost of Steel etc.... Also that Oblivion was a prototype, thus Alton/Tussauds got a good deal on it (think I read somewhere they paid cost price or something like that)

Nemesis cost £10 million, again this was 16 years ago, so the price is probably comparable nowadays.....But in both of these examples, most of the cost in these figures was including Themeing/Groundwork etc....

It costs a lot less to dig a hole in solid earth than it does to fill a section of a lake with solid ground capable of holding a massive steel structure, especially at Thorpe where there is a lot of ground seepage (sp?) (anyone who saw the construction of Collosus can testify to that!)

LC12 is a mammoth project for Merlin, both in terms of size and groundwork required to prepare for the ride.....(also I would imagine a full size plane made out of steel and fiberglass isn't cheap!!!

To avoid disappointment I think we should expect to have bits of theming cut out as that is what always happens at Thorpe Park, but even so it will still be their best themed ride to date. Here's hoping they don't cut out the plane wreckage, will probably be the most impressive bit of theming!

I know people have been saying that it has a short layout but even so...look at the height of the inversions! The first drop and Zero G roll both tower over the park, the corkscrew is very big as well! Really they are getting a large scale ride next year. In terms of theming and height (and ride manufacture/model) this is on par with the US and Europe. I can only imagine what LC15 (or whatever they are going to call it) will be like, and that is meant to have a height up to 160 ft according to the plans! Very pleased that thorpe are breaking the 100 ft mark in 2012 and 2015 ...finally the UK will be getting coasters that are on par with the US and Europe.