TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

^ I'm not really sure where a long coaster (that is any good) would go in the UK. At Thorpe, they keep having to reclaim land to build new things, hence the recent small footprints, Chessington has large green belt issues (and the wrong audience for a big coaster), same story at Legoland. We all know the problems Alton Towers have the second they try to push the envelope.

My ultimate argument against people simply wanting "long" coasters in the UK is that the two longest coasters we have at the moment are The Ultimate and the Big One. Enough said.

Dave

I have to say that i'm actually happy with this!

Thorpe Park/Merlin are bringing something completely new to the UK and it actually makes me want to visit Thorpe next year. (Still haven't been to ride Saw even when I lived 30 mins away for about a year!)

^ I'm not really sure where a long coaster (that is any good) would go in the UK. At Thorpe, they keep having to reclaim land to build new things, hence the recent small footprints, Chessington has large green belt issues (and the wrong audience for a big coaster), same story at Legoland. We all know the problems Alton Towers have the second they try to push the envelope.

My ultimate argument against people simply wanting "long" coasters in the UK is that the two longest coasters we have at the moment are The Ultimate and the Big One. Enough said.

Dave

Not necessarily wanting a super long coaster, but something with a decent ride time would be nice, something along the lines of Scream, Montu, Kumba, that sort of thing.

I have been taking a closer look at the plans for this, just a few bits to note....

The colour of the track will be RAL 7005

The colour of the supports will be RAL 7022

The original MTDP that was submitted has never actually been approved, this has been submitted hoping that it will speed up the process of the original MTDP, so there is still a possibility this may not happen.

Looking at the plans at 400% zoom, the track cross section is standard B&M track, so unless they are keeping something hidden or it is a hidden system, I think this will be a static wingrider and not a 4th Dimension.

It would be interesting to see what B&M would do with the ride concept at a park with less building constraints. Thorpe have been infilling land for years to build new rides and Gardaland seems to be a smallish test ride.

Theory as to why this wing rider and the one at Gardaland don't have long track layouts: Perhaps the friction on wing riders (and even X2) is more than a coaster where the passengers are more "well balanced" over or even under the track. I'm not saying this is the case, just that it seems plausible to me. X2 has a 215 foot drop, yet is 3,600 feet long. I'd say the majority of coasters around that height that passengers ride over the tracks are quite a bit longer (the Arrow and Morgan Hypers). Any thoughts?

Theory as to why this wing rider and the one at Gardaland don't have long track layouts: Perhaps the friction on wing riders (and even X2) is more than a coaster where the passengers are more "well balanced" over or even under the track. I'm not saying this is the case, just that it seems plausible to me. X2 has a 215 foot drop, yet is 3,600 feet long. I'd say the majority of coasters around that height that passengers ride over the tracks are quite a bit longer (the Arrow and Morgan Hypers). Any thoughts?

Don't think it is anything to do with friction on the track, think more along the lines of a wider train having worse aerodynamics than a narrower one, also not having a zero car to guide the air over the train means the air is just smacking into the front which will create more drag.

Without a degree in aerodynamics I can't verify any of this, but I think I am pretty close to explaining it properly

It may be short but man that layout looks sick especially that first drop half loop combo. I like the looks of this one much better then Raptor at Gardaland, I know Gardalands is the prototype so I can kinda understand why it's not big and flashy. If thorpe parks is any indication where B&M is heading with this I'm liking it, maybe by the time one hits the US we'll see more length added on to them.

I think it looks fantastic and if it sticks to the plans will look great.

It is great that after years and years of theme parks in the UK going for "family coasters" we are finally getting one for us to look forward to

This may be short but with 4 inversions etc it should pack a punch.

My guess. How about longer ride = increased speed = more aggressive ride for those sitting on the outside seats, especially near the back.

I know these are new ones by B&Ms, but that was the case with Furius Baco.

Edited by larrygator

Any where I can get hi-res of those shots?

http://ww2.runnymede.gov.uk/home/latest/wklyplanapps/2011/wk06/Plan_lst.htm

Go about 1/3rd of the way down, you can download all of the pdf files and zoom in to your hearts content Don't think these links will hang about though as the page changes weekly, then these links will get buried in another page, so I will try to find the alternate link for them.....

This is really exciting news-this looks like what could very well possibly be the first B&M take on the 4D coaster, perhaps even with the seat rotation. That first drop appears to be the real life equivalent of one I have seen done on RCT coasters for years and looks amazing. Even if this ends up being a standard "Wing Rider" coaster without the rotation, that twist into the first drop element seems as if it would be an exciting variation of the first drop on X2. And that zero-g, as well as the proposed theming make this look like it will be a hit.

What I think could be the giveaway on what they do with the rotating seats will be what direction the trains are facing leaving the station-if they're backwards, I would guess they would have to do some type of maneuver during the ride. There seems to have been a great deal of speculation on how exactly B&M would do the 4D seats, being as that this coaster and Gardaland's Raptor both have a single rail track-my thought is that it would end up being something controlled by sensors communicating with some type of on board system or something controlled on some type of on board computer on the actual train. Whatever the case, I feel as if B&M have more than likely done their homework and have likely been researching the best way to do it for years as I would imagine their take on the 4D coaster has been in the development phase for years now. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out!

I am really hoping this and Raptor are a success, as I would love to see one of these in the USA!

Glad Thorpe has finally made a decent investment once again Hoping for lots of effects during the ride...

Finally isn't the way I would say it It will be 3 years sinds Saw: The Ride when this coaster opens. And I think Saw was a decent investment! A big ride every 3 years is a healthy way to operate a park.

I think this ride will be a great addition to Thorpe Park and I look forward to following the development over the next year. The short layout of coasters is something we are all used to in the UK. Nemesis is a short ride but look how good that is. Stealth and Oblivion are 10 second rides but they still managed to pack a punch. I'd prefer a short ride which is constantly thrilling than a long ride like Pepsi Max where after the first drop I'm bored. Roll on 2012!!!

I didn't like saw, IP and it is the most rough thing I have ever been on. Every season it gets so much worse...

Can imagine that Here we have Typhoon in Bobbejaanland, it's quite rough as wel. Maybe i was lucky to ride Saw in it's opening year only!

And maybe the coaster wheels can play a part in this. If i compare Saw to Anubis: The Ride. They both are quite intense! Still Anubis runs very smooth. Both are Gerstlauer Trains of the same age... But still i think it was a great addition to the park!