TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

This is from screamscape

"is expected to be built on the Thorpe Belle boat which will be moved over to the “Saw Island” area. Sure to please Haunt lovers, Saw Alive will actually be a season long experience, based on the popularity and attendance increases the park has seen from the 2009 Saw themed coaster ride. More than a “haunt”, Saw Alive is described as a “live action horror maze” where the guests are at the mercy of Jigsaw and will feature six iconic scenes from the first six Saw films."

sawmaze1.jpg.1456ead719d3be0f581e8eefcc50cacb.jpg

From the park

Umm, how will this work? Saw is not scary and it never really has been. I mean I heard the maze was pretty good, but based on a video I saw on youtube of hollywoods house it was only the pig mask people scaring. SAW is a good franchise, but I dont know if it will make a good year round house. I kind of think this will give the park issues, because Thorpe park seems to be turning all of its attention to thrills and is offering little in terms of family thrills, like Chessington. Especially if the new secret weapon at Alton Towers is this new super family ride, then Thorpe park will have very little to offer.

The Saw house at Orlando was amazing, you see all of the traps killing people, there can be nothing bad about it!

It was a lso a pretty decent story if you knew what to be looking for.

I highly doubt Thorpes will be run aswell as HHN though, at all.

Thorpe Park is marketing itself as a thrill orientated park. They are trying to appeal to the young adult generation as all the other U.K. parks are aimed at families. Thorpe have seen the gap in the market and instead of competing against other parks as a ''family park'' they have a clear run as the thrill park. It makes scence to me.

I'm all for this, year round haunted mazes are a big win in my book. I just hope it's an upcharge or a fast track is available for it as I can see this thing getting crazy lines.

Here's hoping a lot of effort is put in by Merlin on this!

Remember everyone: If Scottish Steve asks, it's just a "Behind the scenes look at the making of the films".

Thorpe's mazes have been rather lacking in scare factor in previous years i've found.

I honestly don't see them running this all year round with a full host of "actors" in it to scare people. It'll probably be restricted to weekends during school terms when the park isn't that busy (2hour queues instead of 3 hours. ) and then full on from summer till halloween.

The Saw house at Orlando was amazing, you see all of the traps killing people, there can be nothing bad about it!

It was a lso a pretty decent story if you knew what to be looking for.

I highly doubt Thorpes will be run aswell as HHN though, at all.

I'm not a big fan of the Saw flicks, but I liked the maze, too. It's a challenge to maintain a "haunt" all season long, but Grona Lund and Liseberg have been quite successful at it. We'll see what happens at Thorpe.

• 2 months later...

An update hasn't been released on this in a while, so here are 2 pics from the park showing of Saw - Alive!

Saw Alive signage, in the SNOW!

A look over the lake at the Thorpe Belle currently getting a "nice" new paint job. (Bigger version of this photo can be found here: http://twitpic.com/x1ysr/full )

So thats it for Saw Alive right now, no idea how the interior is going but i'm sure its coming along quite nicely.

-Craig

• 4 weeks later...

Thorpe Park have updated their Twitter page with our first look at the inside of Saw: Alive!

Keep checking Thorpe Parks Twitter for more updates before the park opens for the 2010 season on the 18th March!

-Craig

65086073.jpg.ad437a02e86e15c104b2b8cc39c182bf.jpg

Thorpe Belle has taken a good beating by the looks of it but I belive this is now the finished facade!

65085021.jpg.7bf69c10130ea7fb9d02bc38ccae2824.jpg

Big saw blade for a Saw maze? Who would have thought!

65084635.jpg.4090a83a1ae3bdd87a846092a661d1ff.jpg

This is the motor for the 1 billion foot super mega hyper floorless flying looper coming to Thorpe Park in 2011! (Id rather see a pile of dirt! Thats super sexy!)

65083867.jpg.fe5d185d7017cadb13230b0e6b0e57b4.jpg

From inside Saw Alive it seems we have the bathroom from Saw 1. How many people will use the toilet in this room? I expect a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey, although I find this gross and pathetic if anyone is up for £500 I suggest eating lots of asparagus!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100224/tuk-theme-park-is-taking-the-pee-6323e80.html

Thorpe Park in Surrey is eager to introduce a "signature stench" to its horror maze SAW Alive which opens next month.

In a "contest" on Friday, members of the public will be offered a £500 cash prize to produce the most pungent-smelling urine. The smell will then be used alongside other stenches in the maze.

The job of selecting the smelliest sample falls to Thorpe Park's entertainments manager Laura Sinclair. She said: "We want SAW Alive to be as authentic and terrifying as possible to make visitors feel as if they are living in a real-life horror film. "To do this we need to really push the boundaries of what our guests experience from a sensory point of view."

ADMIN EDIT: I have edited the post to include the story. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Edited by jedimaster1227

Seriously? How could the smell of urine possibly be a good feature to include in this maze?

Ugh...

I actually like when haunts use gross, yet familiar smells. HHN has used poo and vomit smells in past houses and it seemed effective at disturbing people. It can add a sense a realism to a house if it is done right and not over used.