TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be called... wait for it...

SAW: The Ride.

Yep.

Saw. As in the films that were bludgeoned to death by sequels.

Saw.

I'm well... um... it sucks. Basically. That's just plain bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j3BiaEoP_w&feature=PlayList&p=D39926BBED9FBC7E&index=3

And apparently www.sawtheride.com/ is going to be the site, but it's not up yet.

Yep, the US get Mystery Mine with a cool theme... we get this.

Haha, this is gonna go down a storm.

All things considered, more so when you think about the demographic of people who mostly visit the park, this could just be a really good idea.

And it's great advertising to annouce it just before the Fright Nights start next weekend.

I love the movies, and I'm not surprised a ride is being built based on the franchise. Love them or hate them the saw films are tremendously popular and licensing a thrill ride based on them is a good move.

Plus, at least you get some theming! Judging from the large building frame going up I can hope the ride will have some show elements, maybe a little bit of a walk through experience before the ride? It will be interesting to watch this develop.

I actually thought a while ago how cool it would be if they based it on something like Saw, since the original renderings were and old saw mill. Especially after last months trailer with the blood and all that.

I am a fan of the movies, I'm not completely sure about basing a ride on them but if they do a great job on the theming/effects I think it could turn out really well. When I first heard the ride was going to be a eurofighter I wasn't really that excitied by it, but now I really can't wait to see how it turns out.

I think this ride will actually be AMAZING! Just look at the website http://www.sawtheride.com/

That actually sends shivers down my spine.

Apparently the ride will have a 15+ age restriction which will be odd for a roller coaster but shows how cool it's going to be. The woman behind it is the woman who created Thorpe's amazing halloween mazes as well. I'm really excited!

The woman behind it is the woman who created Thorpe's amazing halloween mazes as well.

But... those mazes are basically, crap, lol.

And the main problem I have with this (I have a LOT of problems with this, I basically think it's a terrible, terrible idea) is that Thorpe had the chance here to build a ride to FINALLY fill in the 1.2m height restriction gaping hole they have in the park, and now they've gone and shot themselves in the foot in my opinion by making it so that this market of "I don't quite want to do Stealth, lets do this" is now isolated.

Plus, the Saw films were over by 2005.

Actually their still going strong in America. Saw 5 is about to come out this Halloween. I'm not the biggest horror fan, but I've seen 1-3, and I guess they are pretty cool. I can't wait to ride this if I ever go on a Europe trip, since I absolutely LOVED Mystery Mine.

The woman behind it is the woman who created Thorpe's amazing halloween mazes as well.

But... those mazes are basically, crap, lol.

And the main problem I have with this (I have a LOT of problems with this, I basically think it's a terrible, terrible idea) is that Thorpe had the chance here to build a ride to FINALLY fill in the 1.2m height restriction gaping hole they have in the park, and now they've gone and shot themselves in the foot in my opinion by making it so that this market of "I don't quite want to do Stealth, lets do this" is now isolated.

Plus, the Saw films were over by 2005.

Actually, the saw films still make more money than any other horror franchise right now.

Thorpe have the opportunity to work with an actual film studio to create a ride, this is something we have never seen in the UK before and will probably provide one of the best themed coasters Britain has ever had.

The saw labelling will bring in many, many more customers than just a plain 'minetrain' theme would and will give Merlin more money to invest in Thorpes future rides. The park has always said they are aiming for the older 'thrill-seeking' age bracket and this ride suits that down to the ground.

I think this is definitely a perfect investment for the park.

There's a really wild rumor going around that it is going to be based on the Saw films. It's only a rumor but this one sounds feasible in terms of context.

Oh and John Wardley is involved in the ride

Well I'll be frikin doo I was right

so how you like them apples

I kinda like it.

Sure there's a chance that in 10 years the brand might be dead, but hopefully we might get a backstory and a decent idea of a theme for a ride, we haven't had one of them for a while, especially down south.

Ben, i know it's not a fantastic choice to bridge the height restriction gap (and yes se7en is crap) but I think this could be a very interesting addition to the lineup.

Dave "lets wait and see" Wilson

I just really hate things that end in "The Ride".

I second that.

I think the themeing is really good, the advert is good too!

About the age restriction, I think that they should (if possible) build another queue for the younger ones, then everybody would be happy!

Jordan.

'Opening Spring 2009, SAW - The Ride. The world’s first ever horror movie themed rollercoaster will test the nerve of all who dare ride it as they subject themselves to be at the mercy of ‘Jigsaw’.

The ultimate test will be a ‘beyond vertical’ drop of 100° from a height of 100ft, making it the steepest freefall drop in the world. Riders will also endure three inversions adding another dimension to a whole new experience of adrenaline-fuelled terror for thrill seekers'

http://www.sawtheride.com/ (bits and pieces have been added to the site now)

Obviously not a family ride then! Bit freaked out by the theme of this ride but Thorpe park isnt what i call a family park anyway so maybe it will fit in well, will watch and wait and see.

Will people have to prove their age on the gate do you think, hopefully this will mean the themeing is pretty intense!

Has it even been confirmed that there will be an age restriction?

Obviously the ride will have a strong horror theme, but so do the London Dungeons, and Madame Tussauds Chamber of Horrors. I think PART of the Chamber has an age restriction of 12, however the Dungeon does not have an age restriction at all except stating the child must be accompanied by an adult, therefore its at the adults discretion. This leads me to think there is no legal reason kids aren't allowed in there.

In addition to the height restriction keeping out these younger children, I would assume that there will just be many signs stating that the ride has a horror theme which may be unsitable for people of a nervous disposition etc. I really don't think the staff will be ID'ing everyone who looks under 15 (or whichever age you think the minimum might be).

I'd also assume where the horror theme will be strong, its not going to be anywhere near as brutal as the Saw films, just a lot more suggestive, such as shown in the photos on the ride website.