TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

^ If you had checked just one page back, you would of noticed someone had already posted the link to the second clip.

Personally I think these clips a waste of time, I just want to know what it's called & when it is gonna open.

Knowing Thorpe Park, the name will be pointless ....

Also I doubt they will put a single rider queue in !!

Colossus opened to the public once again today after it remained closed for 2 weeks for work to be carried out around the area.

Fine mesh nets have been added everywhere that the train passes over, in an attempt to catch, or slow down falling objects from the ride.

Many feel the new nets are a visual eyesore, and ruin the area completely by blocking views of the ride. It also raises questions whether they'll have to be taken down at times to allow cherry pickers to pass through, etc.

2.jpg.ee5faf99cb2e96c8fcf574fc106f9eea.jpg

3.jpg.6799c395c515e073e8116a6293bc32a8.jpg

4.jpg.1b08163bb266d93f4d06e0cc2ac76399.jpg

5.jpg.c1f11c7aad6cb22d6cddcf4f288bbdaf.jpg

6.jpg.6474ad5656b6768f1c3d43652ac94d6c.jpg

7.jpg.7a781d6c71310842e14f51fb26f197b4.jpg

8.jpg.d8a6d441f4caa38cbfa08cbc68ee2b99.jpg

9.jpg.2774fdb0d982f42b32a0477e979b0996.jpg

Hey it could be worse you could just have a GIANT net hanging from the ride there to catch fallen items! Anyways they don't look that bad, atleast they tried to make it slightly "look" like theming to the lines and sidewalks, and the people complaining will be somewhat happy for these things the next time they are hit by a flying object coming off of a rollercoaster.

I don't think it is that bad but I never knew they had a problem in the first place. Anyway, Colossus has been open and had those nets up for weeks. It didn't only just open today!

Back to the topic, I think they are o.k. but still, you won't get any good views of the ride and they are kind of ugly. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I hate them!

I don't care for the nets either. Can understand the safety logic for installing them, but still don't like them. They take away from the spirit and fun of a coaster flying over the midway.

As for stuff flying off the coaster, that's been going on for decades. Nothing new. Seems like only recently people decided to make a big fuss over the idea and put up these nets. Guess we're stuck with them.

/end rant

Nothing beats opening year for Alpengeist . 3rd day it had to be shut down for like an hour cause my brother lost his shoe on the gravel brake run. The park staff instead of going to the e-stop and hitting it ,then logically sending one person to get it., ended up calling the manager at the front of the park to come back and retrieve the shoe himself..not a supervisor..or area manager but the parks full blown management.

Anyways back on topic...tacky vs safety your choice. I mean sure rides like say Corkscrew at Cedar Point are cool with the corks over the midway but when someones cell phone comes dropping out and whacks you in the head at 30+mph..you'll think "wheres the net to catch these things sheesh!"

I guess these things need to be done, but the location of Colossus over the path was one of my favorite things about it on my one trip to Thorpe Park. I remember when I was walking out of the park saying something about how cool that turn (the last picture there) before the last roll looked just because of how open it was and how you wouldn't see something like that in the US.

On the other hand, I probably would have been pretty upset if someone had dropped their phone or camera on my while I was saying this.

The nets do look tacky I agree. However they certainly do serve a purpose. For example, I hate the nets on nighthawk, but they have stopped a fair amount of change from hitting me (had I not been looking up at the time) So I also understand the reasoning behind adding them. At least they look better than the net under nighthawk's first turn.

Anyways back on topic...tacky vs safety your choice. I mean sure rides

like say Corkscrew at Cedar Point are cool with the corks over the

midway but when someones cell phone comes dropping out and whacks you in

the head at 30+mph..you'll think "wheres the net to catch these things

sheesh!

Not really. I've been going to parks for years and seen hats, suglasses,

and the like fly out. It's all part of the experience. IF you got hit

with something (and that was a big, once in a blue moon, if) you said

"that sucked" and went on with your life. No big deal. Yes that sort of

thing happened, but neither my friends nor I felt unsafe in the

slightest. I don't feel unsafe today.

DarkStitch, I see and respect your viewpoint, but still stand by my feelings.

• 2 weeks later...

This thing has quite a bit going on before the actual lift hill. I can only imagine how the (seemingly extensive) theming will add to that first drop and zero-g roll even more when they finally add that stuff.

I really like what Gerstlauer has been doing with their Euro-Fighters, especially these very themed, very unique ones. They seem to be taking the same elements from ride to ride, but do a better job of "individualizing" each coaster more so than B&M does.