TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

I wonder if merlin didnt own both Thorpe and Alton towers if the race to fit new and exciting rides would be on, it seems that they have nothing to really compete with and have cornered the market as other than a few parks in the UK i think these two are the most well known.

Together the parks offer something different so dont really compete any more.

remember the good old days of nemisis being built....

If Thorpe want to do something different and something that will set pulse rates soaring then they should BUILD A DAMN WOODIE!

From what I have read on other forums, a woodie has previously been considered for Thorpe. The only problem being that the structure is too dense for the land, which may cause some kind of problem with subsidence or something similar due to the increased weight. I don't know how true that all is, but it sounds fairly reasonable to me.

Having said that I have to agree that a woodie there at some point in the future would be fantastic. I still think the Eurofighter will be a good addition to the park, especially looking at the concept art for the station and the amount of effort that appears to be putting into the theming for the ride. Like you say, the thought of the Eurofighter doesn't make me want to get there as soon as I can to ride it like a new flyer would, or a decent woodie.

this is another good idea to be brought to thorpe park, i'm sure i'll be going in 2009.

One thing that is a bit strange though is that of the theme, i know canada creek is meant to be a forest area, but doesn't the ride look like an exact copy of mystery mine at dollywood in terms of scenery

I dont think canada creek is a forest! It is more of a... well ....creek! as in a narrow tidal inlet or bay on a sea coast, especially in a salt marsh...

so i think the idea of a mine works well and if it has gone down well in Dollywood why not replicate it here, i doubt if there are many people who go to Thorpe have been to dollywood to compair the two.

I still think the Eurofighter will be a good addition to the park, especially looking at the concept art for the station and the amount of effort that appears to be putting into the theming for the ride.

Yes it could be amazing, recently though Thorpe Park creations never turn out as good as their concepts; Stealth queline grandstand for one. Also their lack of imagination in choosing names for rides recently. Stealth (yes very stealthy, better than The Edge i suppose), Rush (very lost city), Slammer (another), and Nemesis Inferno (don't get me started).

I have also heard that the project is called "Project Dylan". Considering "project Rita" became reality lets just hope for the best.

Admittedly if this project is executed well it could be one of Thorpe's best themed rides.[/code]

Yes it could be amazing, recently though Thorpe Park creations never turn out as good as their concepts[/code]

Well, with any luck, Merlin will want to make a decent impression with the first Major investment at Thorpe since they took over. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well, with any luck, Merlin will want to make a decent impression with the first Major investment at Thorpe since they took over. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Agreed, Merlin does often produce good results. My only annoyance with Merlin was they stopped the plan for the flyer

Hopefully it turns out well

I have also heard that the project is called "Project Dylan". Considering "project Rita" became reality lets just hope for the best.

Admittedly if this project is executed well it could be one of Thorpe's best themed rides.

Dylan: King of...

... Vertical drops?

A "Flyer" would favor TP to an "Euro-fighter" anyday.. These "Euro's" are being built everywhere and they are not really pushing coasters forward apart from the 97% 1st drop.

A Flyer pushes the boundaries with a unique flying position, but equally a eurofighter pushes the boundaries with a 97 degree drop, so i don't see how a flyer pushes the boundaries any more than a eurofighter.

Don't get me wrong, id love to see a flyer at Thorpe, but i think a eurofighter would be an equally good addition.

• 3 months later...

This week Thorpe Park seems to be having a lot of problems and I thought you might want to see what happened to Rush.

As of today, Rush, Slammer, Stealth and Time Voyagers are unavailable and Rush will remain closed for a month.

Stealth stalling:

Rush 'breaking' on film

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1220389.ece

Although at least staff were aware since Rush was obviously emergency stopped since it stopped quite quickly!

Wow, I knew about Stealth, thought it was just kind of funny

There have been rumours that something happened on Rush for a couple of days on Southparks but there wasn't much info about it. Looks pretty serious. Looks a bit like a giant washer which has split. Oh dear, the Health & Safety brigade will be out for blood after this!

Thorpe Park seems to be slowly going down hill with looking after their rides.

Any type of "Rocket" coaster can stall at the top, TTD did this a couple of years ago. No big deal, it's greal for people who get stuck and can have a roll-back into the station.

Ask for a discount as it's not worth paying £32 per ticket for 1/2 the rides down.

See, this is why I don't get the Intamin hate!!!

The Intamin ride comes back down nice and safely, the S&S ride hurls a four foot piece of metal and people want to build more of their cheap ass rides!!!???

A little bit off-topic, but what is the deal with a roll back?

If you get a roll back is that it? Your ride is over? Or do they let you ride again without queueing up?

How many people have actually experienced one and is it a bit scary?

See, this is why I don't get the Intamin hate!!!

The Intamin ride comes back down nice and safely, the S&S ride hurls a four foot piece of metal and people want to build more of their cheap a$$ rides!!!???

What about that one Intamin ride that chopped a girl's feet off??