TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Actually Robb, us Aussies have been getting a bucketload of problems from our accelerator.

But ultimately all rides will get these sort of "teething" problems, all machinery need to be broken in, and huge steel thrill rides are no different.

Yeah I agree with slick. On our ship and the equipment we use here at the academy, we have many problems with the hydraulic systems. Us engineers have a ton load of work ahead of us when we get new machinary using hydraulics, our lab profesor says its something like a car. You have let all the mechanical parts to sit properly before you get full power and reliability.

What do you expect from Mini KK?

Haha just kidding...

Anyway, It's KK's second season and after opening day weekend I heard its running better so maybe they've got the problems fixed out. This will most likely happen to Stealth as well. It will have a rough opening but, later in the season or even next year it probably will get better.

superman ride of steel sfne has issues with i believe to be wind shut downs as well. the coaster will stop on the lift hill normally a couple times during the day. some times need to be unloaded. it has done this since opening in 2000, god has it really been around 6 seasons now. best thing i have lerned is to see the lift hill wheels on superman, if they are not turning then its broke down.

It's just strange, Stealth suprised me with it's reliability. I remember going down on the saturday after it opened. People told me its been running smoothly for quite a few days, and it actually opened with the park with 2 trains running! I thought "yay, Thorpe Park have finally got a solid reliable ride" because i would've expected all the problems to happen during teh first few days of operating!

Its strange how problems kinda..pop up. I think the same thing happened with Rita though, as i remember it seeming promising on the first few days of opening.

High-maintenance ride at a park with a history of poor maintenance on their rides. I'm really not surprised.

I take it you are talking about Thorpe Park? I think you comment is unfounded , personally I've always found Thorpe Park to be one of the best managed & one of the best park for maintaining it's rides wthin the UK.

Colossus doesn't feel like its maintaned very good. It was running like crap when I rode it last summer. But the rest of the park seemed alright. Both Slammer and Detonator had breakdowns, but they were very short.

I haven't been to any other parks in the UK so I don't really have much to compare it to there...

High-maintenance ride at a park with a history of poor maintenance on their rides. I'm really not surprised.

I take it you are talking about Thorpe Park? I think you comment is unfounded , personally I've always found Thorpe Park to be one of the best managed & one of the best park for maintaining it's rides wthin the UK.

I love Thorpe Park, but honestly, their ride reliability is utterly dreadful. I can't remember the last time I visited the park and at least three major attractions weren't down for the majority of the day.

Slammer has been closed more often than it's been open this year.

Stealth has questionable reliability, but we'll let them off for that.

Colossus has broken down a lot this year, Detonator was down for several days, I visited a few weeks ago and Slammer, Rush, Stealth, Colossus, Tidal Wave and Detonator were down for either much of the day or all day. Tidal Wave opened several weeks after the park (having no lift chain is not a great excuse as far as I'm concerned) and I see Rumba Rapids has been closed for two days now.

I cannot remember the last time I visited and didn't encounter a breakdown. If there are less than three major shutdowns (i.e., an hour or more) that's a good day as far as I'm concerned.

As I say, love the park, but their maintenance is terrible.

All this downtime comes as no shock whatsoever to me. But if it's breaking down that much (I read somewhere it has to be reset after every 2 or 3 launches), then why doesn't TP just close it outright?

XC?? Haha...who knows, though I heard its a bit better now.

could be worse, when son of beast "opened" they kept closing it down, not to reset it, but to RETRACK the entire turn after the first drop. plus if kept valleying at the end of the ride as there was an uphill approache to the brake run.... Every ride has problems the first season. It sounds like this is little stuff, though. I'm confidant thorpe park will work all the kinks and little quirks out by next season.

At the park on the 14th the ride was closed for what must have been at least 45 minutes after a rollback... Park seems to be very cautious with what they do with Stealth at the moment. It closed at least four times in the day though much like everything else in the park! Such a shame considering Stealth was running practically perfectly when it first opened.

^ Sounds kinda like when Dragster first opened, when it would rollback they'd be all "OMG ROLLBACK SHUT IT DOWN AND INSPECT" and now they're just kinda like "meh..." and have it back up within a couple minutes.

I would have thought they already knew that these kind of coaster would have a rollbacks. TTD is only the second rocket coaster at that time, so that could be an excuse for them to be shocked. There is no need to be shocked over a rollback, I mean obviously they knew it was coming....

• 2 weeks later...
All this downtime comes as no shock whatsoever to me. But if it's breaking down that much (I read somewhere it has to be reset after every 2 or 3 launches), then why doesn't TP just close it outright?

XC?? Haha...who knows, though I heard its a bit better now.

sfgadv02? I didn't know you posted here as well.

I know this topic has been dead for a while now, so I'm not sure if there's another one or not, but I have heard that the ride is operating much more smoothly now. For how long that lasts, who knows?

• 2 months later...

Only quick, went Thorpe park today and while walking along the amity cove area there was a stabbing in the KFC restaurant. All happened around 3:30pm police and medical services turned up within minutes and the whole of amity cove (Tidal wave) area was cut off with police crime scene tape. I really cant understand why people would take knives to theme parks. Anyway photos will be up soon.