TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

I really do wish Thorpe got a flyer though... Hmm... Pseudo naming contest anyone? Pretend the ride will be located near Amity Cove or Old Town/Canada Creek... at Amity Cove you have Tidal Wave, Flying Fish, Storm Surge and Storm in a Teacup, as well as a KFC with a ship -and shark wreck built in, and is themed off a town in New England destroyed by a tidal wave, and at Canada Creek, you have Loggers' Leap, Saw, Samurai, Slammer and Rocky Express, and it's themed off of the Canadian Rockies (So why Samurai is there I don't know), just for those who do want to take part but don't know much about Thorpe Park.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, this flyer might be happening after all... There seems to be a fair amount of land near Saw and Loggers' Leap, so could it be possible? Could this be the golden/brown/grey track spotted in Batavia?

Edited by hesukaheadRBLX

If there is a flyer, the chance is that it will be not for 4 years at least. this is because the ghost train was a big investment and the biggest the park has ever made. Samurai is there as it was at Chessington, but it did not fit in with the family thing they were going for, so they moved it to Thorpe Park.

If there is a flyer, the chance is that it will be not for 4 years at least. this is because the ghost train was a big investment and the biggest the park has ever made. Samurai is there as it was at Chessington, but it did not fit in with the family thing they were going for, so they moved it to Thorpe Park.

Your trying to tell me at the UK's Thrill Capital that has had 5 coasters between 2002 and 2012, a coaster every 2 years - will have a gap of 8 years. You have got to be joking. Sure DBGT was a very big investment but they have to invest it has been a Public Relations nightmare I mean it was closed for half of the school holidays. Tussauds owned Chessington and Thorpe Park when Samurai was bought, however it was moved by Merlin.

ANYWAY... I think we've seen enough arguing. Could we please stop this and move back on topic?

Good idea, I have heard that DBGT operated all day today without a single brakedown so if you wish to ride it then around now is a good time!

and that it is probably going to attract a lot more people which means my hopes of a flyer might actually happen!!!

I don't think Merlin would invest in another flying coaster, I am a big fan of the likes of Starry Sky Ripper - it looks incredible however with Air being the only flying coaster in Europe it would be unlikely for another to be added, even if it was added VR would have to be included for it to compete with Galactica but they already have DBGT. A GCI/RMC/GG coaster would be a much better fit or something else thats airtime orientated. Thorpe Park have a lot of types of coaster and this is by far the biggest gap.

Your trying to tell me at the UK's Thrill Capital that has had 5 coasters between 2002 and 2012, a coaster every 2 years - will have a gap of 8 years. You have got to be joking.

No ones joking about that, all Merlin parks seem to be on a plan which includes a major investment every 4 years, and although this changes from time to time due to different factors, they do seem to be sticking to it. It used to be 3 years between but that's now changed. Merlin count DBGT as Thorpe's Major investment which following the plan has come 4 years after The Swarm, so unless things change slightly then they are certainly set to go around 8 years without adding a major coaster with their next coming at around 2020. As i said though, they could potentially change this plan slightly for Thorpe if they wanted to add one before then.

Your trying to tell me at the UK's Thrill Capital that has had 5 coasters between 2002 and 2012, a coaster every 2 years - will have a gap of 8 years. You have got to be joking.

No ones joking about that, all Merlin parks seem to be on a plan which includes a major investment every 4 years, and although this changes from time to time due to different factors, they do seem to be sticking to it. It used to be 3 years between but that's now changed. Merlin count DBGT as Thorpe's Major investment which following the plan has come 4 years after The Swarm, so unless things change slightly then they are certainly set to go around 8 years without adding a major coaster with their next coming at around 2020. As i said though, they could potentially change this plan slightly for Thorpe if they wanted to add one before then.

While this logically makes sense I think that 2018/2019 is a lot more likely because honestly while DBGT is a major investment it just has no rerideability which rollercoasters do have for me and the general public. I mean I went with my friends to Thorpe and they all just said it was good but they would prefer to just go on a coaster as its more exciting. I honestly can't see myself going back onto that incredibly mediocre ride unless the queue is 30 minutes or less.

Investment cycles have nothing to do with "re-rideability" and everything to do with money. Ghost Train cost nearly £30 million, there's no way that's classed as anything other than a very major investment. If Ghost Train doesn't pull in as many guests as expected then we could be waiting even longer for a major investment, like the aftermath of The Swarm

While this logically makes sense I think that 2018/2019 is a lot more likely because honestly while DBGT is a major investment it just has no rerideability which rollercoasters do have for me and the general public. I mean I went with my friends to Thorpe and they all just said it was good but they would prefer to just go on a coaster as its more exciting. I honestly can't see myself going back onto that incredibly mediocre ride unless the queue is 30 minutes or less.

Thank you for someone finally coming to termes with me and a point I made!

Stealth: 2005

(4 year gap)

Saw: 2009

(3 year gap (only so it could be themed to 2012 apocalypse ))

Swarm: 2012

(4 year gap)

DBGT

^Even though you get the point, before you post something like that you probably should know the opening year of the coasters you're posting about. Stealth opened in 2006, not 2005. A few years back the gap between major investments was 3 years, but this was changed to four.

Investment cycles have nothing to do with "re-rideability" and everything to do with money. Ghost Train cost nearly £30 million, there's no way that's classed as anything other than a very major investment. If Ghost Train doesn't pull in as many guests as expected then we could be waiting even longer for a major investment, like the aftermath of The Swarm

Did it? The only source I can find says £13 million.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c1eac800-12e5-11e6-839f-2922947098f0.html?siteedition=intl#axzz4JgdKCO6k

Did anyone else here go the the annual pass event last night. It was a really great event and the atmosphere was on point. I got on three night rides (Samurai, Saw and Colossus), Stealth front row, Nemesis, and Colossus again. As well as that Derren Brown's Ghost Train was open! It was the most confusing thing ever created. It says there are 12 different scenarios, however nobody else had a different one, and the Ride Rater review had the same one as us. If you want to know what happens inside and accurately, read their review, even if you have not been on it. I did not know what was going to happen and for me that took away from the experience. Glad to get on it though, but I don't see where all the money went. I did like the headset though, and some of the motions were fun, and the train was very realistic, and even had AC which sounded like that on an underground train!

Did anyone else here go the the annual pass event last night. It was a really great event and the atmosphere was on point. I got on three night rides (Samurai, Saw and Colossus), Stealth front row, Nemesis, and Colossus again. As well as that Derren Brown's Ghost Train was open! It was the most confusing thing ever created. It says there are 12 different scenarios, however nobody else had a different one, and the Ride Rater review had the same one as us. If you want to know what happens inside and accurately, read their review, even if you have not been on it. I did not know what was going to happen and for me that took away from the experience. Glad to get on it though, but I don't see where all the money went. I did like the headset though, and some of the motions were fun, and the train was very realistic, and even had AC which sounded like that on an underground train!

They only use two different scenarios at the moment. On the first part there is either a homeless man or a lost girl. I heard that the other ones are being added next year (also known as not ready)

Back to my argument about the facts I was given, well I have had a reply from Thorpe Park. It was inconclusive to say the least.

Hi Henry,

Thank you for contacting us here at THORPE PARK Resort.

Our VIP team are trained to deliver key facts and information to our guests on our backstage tours and experiences and this is purely based on information we have been given from higher up authority on resort. We unfortunately don't have any documentation or sheets to be able to provide you to back up this information and I am sorry that I can't help you any further on this occasion.

If you have anymore questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Does anyone have some tips for affordable accomodation near Thorpe?

We plan to make a trip to Thorpe, stay over night at some hotel and then go somewhere to London next day (in second half of october). Is there something you would recommend besides what Thorpe offers on their site?