TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

^After reading that article and the comments I feel like hitting my head against something hard to regain some of the sanity I just lost...

(Not related to what you said, but that the British media decides to turn an ordinary event into a horror story)

And again they mentioned The Smiler wich is totally unrelated to this.

Although, yes, a lot of that is what I said when I was interviewed, I still find it funny how the media can blow up a small event. I especially love the way WALK in the headline is in capital letters as if they expected the people to fall!

Bear with it. By the end of the day, all the rides were working, even tough for half the day Colossus and Stealth were down. I would never visit the park though in August, it would be horrible.

Any particular reason for august being horrible?

Its too hot, and there are the largest crowds of the whole year. You also get more "chav's" then as well, due to offers on boxes of cerial and newspapers like the sun. Go in Easter time or if you can during an off peak time. If you need to visit during a holiday, don't do it during the summer ones, make a trip during a weekend.

Hey, I am looking to hit up this park in October. I read that the Fright Nights can be very busy, but it looks like they are open on Mondays with none of the Fright Night stuff running that day. We are totally fine with skipping the Fright Night stuff if the lines are much smaller. Is there any downside to this, such as rides usually being closed on the Monday or such?

Thanks!

^ That's wise, you don't want any spoilers for this ride!

Yeah, all non spoiler reviews say that the best thing was that they did not know what was going to happen. I was supposed to go on it a few weeks ago, before I accidentally looked at a spoiler or two. However it never opened that day so I will have to keep my head buried in the sand for another year.

Going to the park for the first time next Tuesday. I was going to get the Fast Track for "the big 5". I would like to ride the rides twice. How do these things work? Can I get two sets for myself? Each set cost 30 and the unlimited cost 80. I don't really need more than 2 rides on each so the unlimited is unnecessary since I generally don't ride flats. Any advice on this or anything about the park? How long does the line for X get since that is not on the Fast Track "big 5" package? This is my first European park.

Going to the park for the first time next Tuesday. I was going to get the Fast Track for "the big 5". I would like to ride the rides twice. How do these things work? Can I get two sets for myself? Each set cost 30 and the unlimited cost 80. I don't really need more than 2 rides on each so the unlimited is unnecessary since I generally don't ride flats. Any advice on this or anything about the park? How long does the line for X get since that is not on the Fast Track "big 5" package? This is my first European park.

Aha! Glad you brought this up. There is now a new fastrack that will suit you!

Although not being advertised on their website, there is now an unlimited fastrack for just the Big 5, allowing you to ride all the big five all day without queues. I would recommend this if you are spending a whole day at the park. Regarding X, it has a very slow throughput (10 people per train at 1 dispatch every 1.5 mins) and it is fairly popular for a reason which baffles me. It normally gets queues up to 80 mins on busy summer days (more than some of the big coasters). It is not worth riding, you may as well ride a standard Vekoma roller-skater with your eyes shut, as it is the same thing. However what is worth riding is Slammer. Even with a long queue of up to an hour, it is worth riding as it is an incredible sensation of acceleration and negative G. Also, arrive early, and you can get about three rides in without a queue.

Finally, don't count on DBGT being open.

#itsneveropenwhenIamthere

Is the only way to get the unlimited big 5 at the park or is there a way to get it in advance? I land in LHR at 7:30 have to get checked into hotel and take train to park so hopefully I can get there early.(customs is quick since I'm the pilot and skip the line) Thanks for the tips.

WARNING: Do not visit Thorpe Park with intention of riding the Derren Brown Ghost Train. The ride is experiencing many, many faults and it is not guaranteed to be open during your visit. I advise anyone wishing to go on the ride waits several weeks, if not months until the ride can be deemed reliable.

I visited the park yesterday with the intention of going on Derren Browns Ghost Train. Sadly the ride was closed all day until 3pm. One of the members of staff at the queue lines said told me the ride only opened yesterday at 4pm.

I joined the queue soon after it opened, I had ridden every other roller coaster in the park with the exception of Stealth and X (Which I've never ridden but couldn't be bothered to queue 40 minutes for).

I waited in line for an hour, about 20 minutes in they announced the ride had 'Technical difficulties' and so for the remainder of the 40 minutes I waited, the queue was in a standstill (apart from the few times it moved when people left the queue). After an hour of waiting I gave up because I had a three hour bus and rail journey home, but I managed to squeeze in two rides on Swarm (once in the front-right and once in the rear-right). The front-right seat is amazing at the start of the ride.

Swarm was an incredibly and fun ride. The queue was advertised as being 20 minutes but it was easily less than 5 minutes when I went.

Does anyone have idea about Stealth? According to website, it´s unavailable and it´s been there for a while already. What´s going on with it?

Also, how about Rush, is it better now or still not in a good shape?

I believe they are repairing/replacing the launch cable.

http://themeparkincorporated.co.uk/2016/08/01/stealth-shuts-for-repairs-tpr/

I went to the park for the first time on Tuesday. I really enjoyed my experience and the lady sold me a Fast Track for X for 1 pound because of some reason I didn't quite understand. I thought it was worth that to skip the 40 minute line. Glad I didn't wait in line for it but I knew from advice on here that it wasn't worth the wait. I thought the coaster line up is above average and I like the fast track system because the unlimited option or the a la carte option. I actually went A la carte and saved a couple pounds. Also on X, I was fortunate to be in line near a group of 3 so I could get a partner to ride with because I didn't know I needed a partner until I walked up to the ride and read the sign. This was my first visit to a park outside of North America.

Also, how about Rush, is it better now or still not in a good shape?

Yeah ... not really. As you may have heard from me in a previous trip report ranting about how Rush was running really badly and a picture of it at its full height not even reaching vertical. Well, I went again a couple of weeks back and tried it again. It was mildly better, but still did not give the thrill a S and S swing should deliver. You are better off with force and weightlessness on Vortex.

For everyone who's been on it, do you think it was a bit overhyped or did it meet the expectations perfectly?

There is definitely the potential for it to seem overhyped to those who don't really know what the attraction involves and are perhaps expecting too much from it. Ultimately this type of attraction is in its infancy so I didn't find it to be a mind-blowing experience, however, with that said, I didn't come out disappointed after my first ride. That was probably partly due to not really staying away from spoilers apart from specific details so I was able to manage my expectations and enjoy it for what it is. I definitely found there to be a few disconcerting moments but it was by no means terrifying.

Just immerse yourself as best you can into the experience and hopefully you'll get a successful run-through with all the technical aspects working as they should. With today's announcement from Universal, it's clear we're probably going to see VR find its way to more and more parks and I believe there is a place for it in dedicated attractions where it used to blend real-life environments with virtual elements, especially as the quality of graphics improves and the technology becomes more reliable and durable.

• 4 weeks later...

Should've gone earlier in the year...

Just saw something interesting on the forums - a B&M Flyer... Seeing as this is 2016 and a lot of new elements have been added to Flyers (Loops, 540 degree rolls, raven turns) that produce a much more thrilling ride, could the chances of seeing one at Thorpe be a lot greater? I mean, Air is for those who want a nice, calm ride that can be likened to flying like a bird, but a possible one at Thorpe would maybe appeal to those who want a much more thrilling ride. It'd also really put Thorpe Park out there (not that it hasn't been put out there already, look at Saw, Colossus, Nemesis Inferno and DBGT) amongst the bigger parks such as Six Flags Magic Mountain or SeaWorld Orlando. So, would you say that it could happen?

The next coaster or large flat will be in 2020, should it go to Thorpe Park, seeing as Merlin have recently introduced a new cycle that lasts 4 years. It goes a little like this:

Huge investment

Large investment

Medium investment

Small investment

I saw this rumour earlier today on the following post:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36342&p=400834&hilit=thorpe+park#p400834

It'd be interesting to see if this will ever happen though. I like to dream it up, and the prospect has recently seemed a lot more realistic.

A very interesting fact is that Air was originally designed to go to Thorpe Park, however it would require creating more land on the island, and taking away some land from the main land, which at that point, they did not want to do or could afford. This meant that the B and M flying coaster was moved to Alton Towers and themed to a heroic thing as a juxtaposition to Nemesis. That is how Air came about.