TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

This particular weekend is actually one of the busiest of the year. Schools are out and the event is always slammed as it's close to halloween.

Indeed - it'll be mobbed. At that time of year I've seen "Thorpe Park is Full" signs on the road outside to dissuade people from attempting to enter the parking area.

I'll echo what the others have said, Thorpe is notoriously busy on Fright Nights and definitely reaches capacity regularly on the weekends, so if you can afford it, fastrack is definitely the way to go. The mazes can be very good for UK theme park standard, but I know from reports of last years event that it was very hit and miss.

The only thing I'd say is that I don't find Thorpe Park isn't a very "nice" place when it's busy. Some theme parks have such a great atmosphere when they're busy but Thorpe Park just seems really unpleasant and like it doesn't cope very well, particularly during Fright Nights. This is just my experience though.

Thanks everyone! I'd definitely budget for a fast track if I plan on going. I feel like I should at least go to one theme park while I'm overseas. The coaster collection looks pretty good, and the flats seem unique as well. I'm sure I'll post later when plans become concrete

-Zach

In other news to DBGT, I came across this video of the opening of X :\ No Way out. Firstly I would like to know if anyone else on the planet says "X Colon Backslash No Way Out", or have I been the only person who ignored the :\ in the pronunciation. Also, the ride looks so good there. There is so much theme in and around the ride which makes it look really immersive, which I think would have made the ride so much better. Also, I do not believe it took 3 years to design a Vekoma roller skater, which goes backwards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihIiquOdJ4

In other news, I didn't realise Logger's Leap was closed this season. Bad year to be a flume, eh?

It says area under development on the map where it used to be. With AT's flume removed for SW8, I'm curious if they have similar plans for both flume ride sites.

In other news, I didn't realise Logger's Leap was closed this season. Bad year to be a flume, eh?

My understanding of Loggers Leap being closed is that its getting a refurbishment/retheme not being removed like Altons.

As for it being a bad year to be a flume, I think its more of a case its a bad year to be a ride owned by Merlin.

Yet another damaging day for Merlin, their PR team must be smacking their against a wall right now!

The BBC have even written a story about it...

A theme park has had to apologise to disappointed customers after heavily discounted bank holiday tickets went on sale sooner than advertised.

Thorpe Park had offered a 12p entry price to a limited number of people who logged into its site at 10:00 GMT on Good Friday using a promotional code.

Hundreds of people complained on social media that they were met with a sold out message at the stroke of 10:00 GMT. The Surrey attraction said technical difficulties were to blame. It confirmed later that all 1,871 discounted tickets were sold by 10:00 GMT. Emma Elms described the situation as an "absolute joke" on the theme park's Facebook site. "I uploaded my details at 09:59 to be told they had sold out, absolute joke, if you are going to advertise tickets at a selling time of 10am you should at least stick to that," she said.

Another unhappy customer, Rachel Rose, said the website displayed the sold out sign at 09.57 GMT and she was "absolutely fuming". "Why advertise a selling time of 10am if all of them are sold out prior to that? So disappointed with Thorpe Park today - good luck to you on all of the phone calls and emails you will be receiving from unhappy customers."

Thorpe Park later tweeted: "Due to tech difficulties our sale went live a few minutes sooner than anticipated. "Sorry for any inconvenience caused." The theme park also posted: "We understand everyone's frustration with our technical difficulties today. We are replying to all tweets and thank you for your patience."

Some customers who got one of the 12p tickets also took to Twitter to boast of their success. Entry to the attraction in Chertsey usually costs from £27.99 per person online. In a statement, Thorpe Park said the ticket discount was organised to celebrate the arrival of its new ride Derren Brown's Ghost.

"A problem with an increase in the bandwidth to the website meant the sale went live "two-three minutes earlier than expected. "All tickets were sold and email confirmations sent to the winners of the 1,871 tickets by 10am.

"Sorry to those that were unsuccessful, and congratulations to those who secured a 12p ticket."

Looking at facebook (and after a hot shower to scrub it off) it seems Thorpe Park are asking people to email 12p@thorpe-park.co.uk about what happened. Seems a lot of people emailed expecting some kind of voucher or discount and PR have made people more annoyed by then sending a stock email reply.

Hi (name)

There was a very limited amount of tickets released to celebrate the arrival of our amazing new attraction Derren Brown’s Ghost Train. Knowing how popular it would be, we did extend the bandwidth to the website which was set to changeover at 10am and despite testing in advance, the site worked better than timed trials and went live 2-3 minutes earlier than expected. All tickets were sold and email confirmations sent to the winners of the 1,871 tickets by 10am. We knew demand would be high for the new attraction this year but interest superseded all expectations, the buzz around this new attraction is undeniable. Sorry to those that were unsuccessful, and congratulations to those who secured a 12p ticket.

Thanks,

THORPE PARK Resort

Why wouldn't they just post this directly on their page instead of making people write an email in to get this response? Maybe they just want a laugh at poorly worded angry emails from Facebook commenters?

the buzz around this new attraction is undeniable. Sorry to those that were unsuccessful, and congratulations to those who secured a 12p ticket.

Yeah, that couldn't have been written by a good PR. That's really inflammatory to send to people individually, seems like it has pissed even more people off now

They really have scored an own goal with this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thorpe Park issued the following statement this morning, announcing a delay in the opening of Derren Brown's Ghost Train.

After careful consideration we’re moving the opening date for Derren Brown’s Ghost Train. This attraction is a completely new invention and we are making final tweaks to the remaining elements to get things absolutely perfect. We want you guys to have the full mind-blowing experience from the very first time you ride!

We will post the new opening date here as soon as we can, so check in with our social channels for updates. Please know that this decision was not taken lightly as we know some of you have booked tickets to ride in anticipation of the 6 May opening date, and the last thing we want to do is disappoint you. If your ticket falls on a date before ride opening then please e-mail customer.services@thorpe-park.co.uk and our team will help you out.