TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

It seems like Merlin has lost their magic when it comes to illusions and special effects. I think they're trying to rely on VR too much now, and CGI won't get them any attention because it just isn't the same as real effects. John Wardley was a master at this and it's why the old school dark rides ended up being so good. I won't judge until I actually hear reviews on the ride, but I was hoping for a little more from their "expensive and revolutionary dark ride".

Well that is obviously hands down the greatest name for a ride ever. Merlins creative have once again set the bar at an all time high for naming their attractions..........

Consider any interest in this ride now gone. Have no interest in immersive tunnels what so ever and if the name is anything to go by I can't imagine it will be that good of a ghost train.

I guess so, although David Blaine is at least known worldwide, whereas by the sounds of it, Derren Brown isn't To be honest I don't think he's huge in the UK either. He's well known and most people know who he is, but I'm not sure how many people actually follow him.

Just seems like Merlin is trying to jump on the VR train as quickly as possible... Considering how heavily they over-marketed Thirteen and Nemesis Sub-Terra as psychological experiences, you can bet they'll do it again with this one.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Well that is obviously hands down the greatest name for a ride ever. Merlins creative have once again set the bar at an all time high for naming their attractions..........

Consider any interest in this ride now gone. Have no interest in immersive tunnels what so ever and if the name is anything to go by I can't imagine it will be that good of a ghost train.

Well, I guess it's a better name than "Derron Brown's Immersive 4D Experience."

Well, I guess it's a better name than "Derron Brown's Immersive 4D Experience."

Well that sounds like a sex act that I want no part of.

Just seems like Merlin is trying to jump on the VR train as quickly as possible... Considering how heavily they over-marketed Thirteen and Nemesis Sub-Terra as psychological experiences, you can bet they'll do it again with this one.

I would almost be disappointed in them if they didn't over market things now, its basically a company trademark.

My one hope is that these VR experiences crash and burn faster than a drunk high schooler on prom night.

That said, this seems like it could be a strange little side-attraction, kinda like that Krake haunt at Heide. That was fun but nothing to write home about.

My one hope is that these VR experiences crash and burn faster than a drunk high schooler on prom night.

That said, this seems like it could be a strange little side-attraction, kinda like that Krake haunt at Heide. That was fun but nothing to write home about.

I should think Thorpe Park are rather expecting more than a small live action horror maze for this. The budget rumoured that I heard last year was upwards of £20m!

^ Probably mostly going to the actual train car motion base, if I had to guess. It looks like it'll be a walkthrough attraction with the VR portion being a motion-simulator subway car. Not necessarily a scary haunt, but that style with some cool effects themed to this guy's illusions.

The only reason I'm guessing a motion simulator is because of the suspended subway car in the trailer.

If that's really the budget for this ride, I think I would rather have seen the park go with a Sally ride like Justice League. This could turn into Nemesis Sub Terra 2.0, where people will ride it a few times and get sick of the same cheap gags especially with VR involved. VR is a turn off for a lot of people before even riding.

Sub Terra was my first thought too actually, and for me it all seems a bit too much like style over substance for my tastes. The press release is full of the usual rhetoric about playing with your mind, it being a psychological experience etc, but it all feels very familiar and I'm sort of bored of the whole schtick. The UK is overdue a really good dark ride, and I am not convinced that Derren Brown's Ghost Train is going to remedy this.

The UK is overdue a really good dark ride, and I am not convinced that Derren Brown's Ghost Train is going to remedy this.

I think Valhalla covered the "really good dark ride" quota for the next century.

As a Derren Brown fan I am probably looking forward to this ride a lot more than I am Galactica (Air Revamp) at Alton Towers. Derren Brown's stage shows are brilliant, and I also enjoy his specials on TV, I hope this ride doesn't disappoint (Much like Subterrra previously). Lets reserve judgement until we've given it a go. You never know it could be the greatest ride Thorpe Park has to offer...(tin helmet now firmly on ready for a backlash).

As a Derren Brown fan I am probably looking forward to this ride a lot more than I am Galactica (Air Revamp) at Alton Towers. Derren Brown's stage shows are brilliant, and I also enjoy his specials on TV, I hope this ride doesn't disappoint (Much like Subterrra previously). Lets reserve judgement until we've given it a go. You never know it could be the greatest ride Thorpe Park has to offer...(tin helmet now firmly on ready for a backlash).

Oh no arguments from me, it could be really good, I'm just giving it a bit of the side-eye treatment at the moment because or Merlin's recent track record. The press release hasn't really got me very excited because it's the same kind of stuff they always come out with, but like you say the proof is in the pudding.

If this ends up being a Vekoma Madhouse with very elaborate theming I'm gonna self harm!

Im pretty sure its going to be an immersive tunnel ride like King Kong. To be honest I would have no issue with a Vekoma Madhouse with insane theming even though 13 minutes would be serious excessive for it.

If this ends up being a Vekoma Madhouse with very elaborate theming I'm gonna self harm!

Im pretty sure its going to be an immersive tunnel ride like King Kong. To be honest I would have no issue with a Vekoma Madhouse with insane theming even though 13 minutes would be serious excessive for it.

I like the Mad House rides, too. Wish we had more in the U.S.