TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

^ I think it looks freaking AWESOME! I seriously got chills when I watched the video of it testing.

I can't think of Stealth as mini-Ka because I've never been on Kingda Ka. Keep in mind that Stealth will be pretty much the tallest coaster I've ever ridden. It's 205 feet tall, right? i've been on Magnum which is 205' tall, and SFDL's S:ROS which is 208' tall with a 205' drop. So 205' is pretty much my magic number, lol.

Ohhh I never said it wasn't gona be awesome! Stealth looks prelly damn sweet to me too!! I have never ridden TTD or Kingda Ka either. But I have been on Xcelerator at Knotts Berry Farm and omg what a rush!!! Stealth is pretty much the same ride except no extra turns. But when you get used to looking at Kindga Ka's 420 foot tower and then you see a ride like Stealth you just got to make fun of it!!!

Xcelorator is the other love child of TTD and Kingda Ka

Mike"TTD and Kingda Ka sure have been getting busy"Black

^ I think it looks freaking AWESOME! I seriously got chills when I watched the video of it testing.

I can't think of Stealth as mini-Ka because I've never been on Kingda Ka. Keep in mind that Stealth will be pretty much the tallest coaster I've ever ridden. It's 205 feet tall, right? i've been on Magnum which is 205' tall, and SFDL's S:ROS which is 208' tall with a 205' drop. So 205' is pretty much my magic number, lol.

Pepsi Max The Big One at Blackpool also has a 205' drop.

Magic number indeed.

^ Your welcome. We'll be there in April to ride. We rarely go to coaster openings anymore. For some reason being the "first" on something really isn't that big of a deal to us.

--Robb "We get on everything eventually!" Alvey

Slammer (S&S Fly swat) at Thorpe Park broke down yesterday trapping 41 riders.

It did a very similar thing last year

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4822328.stm

Park closes ride after 41 trapped

The Slammer ride opened in 2005 and rotates 360 degrees

A theme park ride will remain closed until it passes stringent safety checks after it broke down stranding 41 people in freezing weather for nearly an hour.

Emergency services were called to Thorpe Park, Surrey, on Saturday when the Slammer ride came to a "controlled stop" at a 45 degree angle.

People on board were trapped until park staff could lower them to the ground.

A spokeswoman said on Sunday engineers were going over the 100ft-high ride "with a fine-toothed comb".

She said the ride was nearly full, with just seven empty seats.

"It is an incredibly sophisticated and sensitive piece of equipment," she said.

"Any minor issue will automatically result in the failsafe system shutting the ride down.

"It is perfectly safe to ride in the future. All our rides go through three hours of testing by our experienced engineering team before the park is opened each morning."

The Slammer can only be ridden by people over 1.4m (4ft 6in) - about 12 years old.

This ride is so unrealible it's ridiculous!

On the same day one of the shoulder restraints didn't lock and the girl of 12/13 was screaming for the ride to be stopped as it going up into the air. The ride-ops were too busy dreaming to notice and she wen't round with only the lapbar secured.

Considering she was only about 12/13 she must've been petrified and I know people who saw her coming off the ride, and they said she was completely white and crying her eyes out with her friends trying to comfort her.

The ride has been a complete failure for Thorpe in-terms of reliability and it isn't even very comfortable to go on!

Collosus has also been very dodgy at the beginning of this year. The ride is running over 20 seconds slower than it should. And it's barely made it around the course on some runs. Not to mention it's stopped up the lifthill twice in 2 days leaving people stranded up there for over an hour.

On the same day one of the shoulder restraints didn't lock and the girl of 12/13 was screaming for the ride to be stopped as it going up into the air. The ride-ops were too busy dreaming to notice and she wen't round with only the lapbar secured.

Considering she was only about 12/13 she must've been petrified and I know people who saw her coming off the ride, and they said she was completely white and crying her eyes out with her friends trying to comfort her..

Is that really totally possible to have the shoulder restraints not lock but the ride to continue. Had the girl not just imagined the restraints felt loose and decided she'd scream like a tosser?

Slammer's restraints are wierd.

You have the lapbar which comes and locks over you from the side, not infront of you.

Also the shoulder restraints don't have to be down for the ride to test, this is because they are pull-down ones like on some Schwarzkopf coasters. The girl had pulled hers down it didn't lock properly in place and it then rose again and wouldn't stay shut where it was suppsoed to.

Slammer's restraints are wierd

I think you’re missing one of the points of rides.

There designed to make you feel uneasy and feel like you’re going to fall out (It heightens the riders experience). I watched a program a couple of weeks ago and Stan Checketts from S&S was on about the fly swat. He was saying that they had designed the shoulder restraints on the ride to move to give the rider a sense of that they might fall out. I have noticed that they do that. The next time you do the ride pull the restraints down on your shoulders move you shoulders up & down and you will notice that they move. But the lap bar is what was holding the rider in securely (I bet you don’t even need the over shoulders restraints at the end of the day). I am no engineer and sure that there are failsafe on the ride to actually stop rider from falling out. Yes it must have been very upsetting for some of the riders tripped on the ride but I am sure they were safe. It announce me that some people can bad mouth something before they even try to understand what they bad mouthing.

My rant over

Nick “PS, I love the ride its great” Collins

I do get the whole having the open body restraints... I just don't like them! My restraints didn't move at all when I went on it and I would've freaked out if they moved!

Of course the ride is safe and with the lapbar you can't fall out. But for a member of the GP with NO knowledge of the ride at all I can see why was so freaked out.

I know what i'm bad-mouthing. And i've seen the program with the Sky Swat in thankyou very much.

Slammer is an un-realible piece of scrap metal that Thorpe should never have bought.

Uhh.. Guys, i was standing next to the ride when the Restraint Failure happened, she ran off the ride crying her eyes out. And from what i heard, From friends actually on the ride, her shoulder restraint was full up. But the lap bar was secured.

It really is an awesome ride. Some great forces and lots of lovely visuals.

It's just a damn shame it's so unreliable. Thorpe need to sort some things out (training their ops would be a start...)

I do get the whole having the open body restraints... I just don't like them! My restraints didn't move at all when I went on it and I would've freaked out if they moved!

Of course the ride is safe and with the lapbar you can't fall out. But for a member of the GP with NO knowledge of the ride at all I can see why was so freaked out.

I know what i'm bad-mouthing. And i've seen the program with the Sky Swat in thankyou very much.

Slammer is an un-realible piece of scrap metal that Thorpe should never have bought.

Its not unreliable, its just got a whole bunch of safety features that makes it "break down" so often. As for the whole falling out thing, maybe there should be a sign to let guests know that the real restrain is the lap one and that they're not going to die.

Also, I dunno why you think its so crappy, besides you, everyone else I've heard reviews from have said its awsome.

Uhh.. Guys, i was standing next to the ride when the Restraint Failure happened, she ran off the ride crying her eyes out. And from what i heard, From friends actually on the ride, her shoulder restraint was full up. But the lap bar was secured.

If what people are saying is true it didn't fail, it was just never checked properly.

I personally love Slammer. The ride experience it gives is pretty dam wild, and for a so-called "flat" ride, it sure does travel huge distances!

However, just looking at it and the way it was designed creeps me out. Things like all the exposed cables, the flimsy belt drive system hanging off the side of the tower and the numerous pneamatic indicators of which no effort at all has been made to hide.

Not to mention that the restraints have about two inches of give just from feeling loose, even when they are locked.

It feel like a big Knex model- in that the main skeletal structure to make it operate is there, but the body and skin of the actual ride was never put on...

Its really great n' all, but I think I'd feel much happier riding it if Huss had built it!

i have just returned from thorpe park's stealth launch party

it was a great evening and riding stealth at night after a couple of glasses of free wine and lots of free canapes is highly recommended.

i sat at the front the first time, held my hands in the air and laughed throughout - absolutely brilliant.

am i the only one that thinks its weird that the ride is called 'stealth' but is themed as 'amityville speedway? (and then the launch party is themed as a gothic s&m party - albeit a very cool s&m party). i attach a few photos from the evening. sorry i haven't captured many images of the abundant totty (I did get a guy with a circular saw though).

Oh and I've attached them all backwards because the TPR site says to "Attach the photos in the order you want them to appear."

Benjamin

1235520682_stealth-tidalwavehybrid.jpg.8cb6f2ef1aecf20f7b4a6b1caac3ee00.jpg

Walking back to the car park I wonder how a Stealth-Tidal Wave Hybrid water coaster might work.

1931455722_meatthefront.jpg.55bf6f1a43edd8d53130f60d72484a6e.jpg

ME AT THE FRONT, BABY!

1559279105_singleriderq.jpg.b324dc86e48fb2254a6a7b33c7ca7f13.jpg

... and then it was time to try it out. here you can see that for one night only, the single rider queue becomes the 'freeloading media whores queue'...

863767551_circularsaw.jpg.5c1ff785c69272e5a555386c1c9db8e4.jpg

... if this guy had stopped grinding his crotch with a circular saw, then you might have been able to see stealth launching into the night sky...

valkyries.jpg.3e201b4e84d95293020e7b287cbb5911.jpg

... and did I mention that there was a kind of surreal s&m theme to the evening...

pap.jpg.c527eb3d182842b0edcb1019cc638782.jpg

... thorpe park laid on their own paparazzi to pap the paps...

1728131726_stealthtophat.jpg.3be4d4eac9143738a065863ed587267c.jpg

... looks a lot bigger up close (as the actress said to the bishop)...

1055404476_stealthatdusk.jpg.38d3b1d8c147d40fa4000e232387b3d2.jpg

Approaching the party at dusk...