TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Disappointingly, some of the theming was missing:

- No mist in the Nemesis:Inferno tunnel,

- No sound at all in the SAW external queue,

- No shows on Saw. The car went straight past Jigsaw and only a slight pause before going onto the vertical lift.

I still had a great day at the park.

- James

That's a shame about the mist on Inferno it was working the best it has in years at the start of the year, even the mist in the queue line was working.

Glad you had a good time at Thorpe and enjoyed the new X like I did.

-Craig

For me Backwards swarm isn't that special the best bit was the lift hill and the initial roll that felt very strange the rest of the ride felt exactly the same got to agree on the new X/no way out its now much better after all who doesn't like a rave on a coaster

- No shows on Saw. The car went straight past Jigsaw and only a slight pause before going onto the vertical lift.

Just to pick up on this point, they dispatch two trains at a time on Saw, and only the back train sees the Jigsaw scene as it waits for the train in front to clear the block - chances are, you've always been lucky and been in the second train

I was at Thorpe on Saturday, it was fairly busy but a decent day none the less.

There was a couple of things that could've been better though. Firstly none of the effects on The Swarm were working (Fire engine fire & water and the wing dip splash), which is disappointing for a coaster that is only just over a year old. The servers in KFC are awful, fair enough it was busy but they were ridiculously abrupt and rude to everybody, it really surprised me as there has been a definite push for staff to be much more friendly to customers in the past few years, I guess it must be down to them being KFC staff and not Merlin employees.

On a plus note I witnessed my first case of queue-jumping actually being dealt with at a park. Our last ride of the day was Nemesis Inferno, and we had the regular case of a couple of women push past people in the queue to join there friends. Once in the station, the staff made an announcement that they were aware of some queue-jumpers and that they should exit the queue as they would not be riding. As we were waiting in the bay to get on the train it turned out that these women were also waiting to get on the train a few rows back, and the staff held up dispatching the train until they left through the exit. It was really good to see this for once, and what made it funnier was the fact that it was only a ten minute queue anyway, so they queue-jumped for nothing and by the time they left the station it was past closing time so they couldn't re-join the queue properly. So big thumbs up to the Thorpe staff for that.

The servers in KFC are awful, fair enough it was busy but they were ridiculously abrupt and rude to everybody, it really surprised me as there has been a definite push for staff to be much more friendly to customers in the past few years, I guess it must be down to them being KFC staff and not Merlin employees.

Log on to the parks Facebook and tell them your story.

That's the most effective way to get a response, and make the park aware of it.

I'm sure that they already knows about the problem, but the more people that tell them, the better!

Going to Thorpe Park one weekday on the week of the 15th July, so there will probably be a lot of school trips as it's the last school week. Wondering if it's worth getting the £20 Full Thottle fastrack? Or if anyone can offer any general advice, I'd appreciate it. The Ultimate Fastrack for £70 is a ridiculous price!

^I would wait and see just how busy it is when you get there. If you are desperate to do all the coasters then definitely get the YOLO Fastrack as you suggested. A good piece of advice I have is don't eat lunch at the normal time of around 1pm as everywhere will be packed, either eat before then or some time after 2pm.

-Craig

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

So, I just quickly signed up to ask a few questions. I'd usually just go on Yahoo Answers but I'm guessing you all know a lot more about roller coasters and Thorpe Park than the people on that probably do.

I've gone to Thorpe Park a few times since I was younger, but only recently have I actually started to go on the rides.. (sounds strange I know, but I find watching them fascinating). I went with a friend, and she is up to go on anything. We went June last year, and are planning to go next month on the 19th, which is a monday, first question, do you think it'll be packed? Obviously it's gonna be busy but I mean like properly packed.

When we went last year, I decided we should try Detonator first as it looked pretty tame, all it does it go up and down.. I was obviously wrong about that, and have vowed never to go on it again. During the rest of the day, we went on Vortex, Zodiac, Quantum, Logger's Leap, X:\No Way Out, Saw - The Ride, and Colossus. Colossus was the first ever ride that I went on that goes upside down, so I pretty much threw myself in, the deep end there.

I was a nervous wreck queuing for Saw, but I absolutely loved it when I was on it. Colossus, I was also a wreck queuing up for, but I was terrified on it, as well, and I've come to the conclusion that it's because I felt a lot more restrained and safer on Saw, than I did on Colossus. So another question is what are the restraints like on Nemesis Inferno, Stealth and The Swarm? I need to hold on to something or I'll freak. In fact one of the rides that I found the scariest was Logger's Leap, down to the no restraint thing.

Also, what is the difference between a rollercoaster with a car (I don't know if that's the right name for them) like Colossus and Saw, as opposed to one like Nemesis Inferno and The Swarm. Do they feel a lot different?

The last thing that is bothering me is the beginning bit of The Swarm, where it goes up... (I do know what the thing is called but I can't remember the word) how long does it take to get to the top, because I have a fear of heights, and if it goes really slow, I may die... (not literally obviously lol)

Sorry for all of the questions, and you may be wondering why I even bother going to theme parks when I obviously appear to be a bit of a control freak but when I'm there I love them....

Thank you

Hi.

So, I just quickly signed up to ask a few questions. I'd usually just go on Yahoo Answers but I'm guessing you all know a lot more about roller coasters and Thorpe Park than the people on that probably do.

Welcome!

I've gone to Thorpe Park a few times since I was younger, but only recently have I actually started to go on the rides.. (sounds strange I know, but I find watching them fascinating). I went with a friend, and she is up to go on anything. We went June last year, and are planning to go next month on the 19th, which is a monday, first question, do you think it'll be packed? Obviously it's gonna be busy but I mean like properly packed.

The 19th seems to be a Monday (unless my in head calendar is wrong!) so I wouldn't expect it to be packed but i've been totally wrong in the past estimating how busy a park will be!

When we went last year, I decided we should try Detonator first as it looked pretty tame, all it does it go up and down.. I was obviously wrong about that, and have vowed never to go on it again. During the rest of the day, we went on Vortex, Zodiac, Quantum, Logger's Leap, X:\No Way Out, Saw - The Ride, and Colossus. Colossus was the first ever ride that I went on that goes upside down, so I pretty much threw myself in, the deep end there.

To be perfectly honest, drop towers are one of a very few types of rides that always make me nervous before riding. I always do ride them but I always get that strange type of nerves before and as you get pulled up the tower. It's all part of the experience so congrats for braving through it.

Going upside-down on rides is normally one thing where people who have never been on an inverting ride (upside downy parts) before get scared or worried about and normally it's the last thing they think about when on the actual ride so I really wouldn't worry about going upside down, no matter how many times it does so. Collossus inverts the second to most times of any coaster in the world right now so well done for riding it!

I was a nervous wreck queuing for Saw, but I absolutely loved it when I was on it. Colossus, I was also a wreck queuing up for, but I was terrified on it, as well, and I've come to the conclusion that it's because I felt a lot more restrained and safer on Saw, than I did on Colossus. So another question is what are the restraints like on Nemesis Inferno, Stealth and The Swarm? I need to hold on to something or I'll freak. In fact one of the rides that I found the scariest was Logger's Leap, down to the no restraint thing.

Restraints can be a big debating topic in this community and other amusement park groups. As Stan Checketts from S&S (roller coaster company) once said on a TV programme, "You can build a ride with a restraint that covers you all up and holds you nice and comfy so you don't move, but the experience of the ride is lost", so companies are always battling to create smaller and smaller restraint styles that balance holding you safe and secure in a comfortable manner that doesn't make you forget you are on a ride and forget the experience the ride is meant to provide.

All these rides are designed to have safety mechanisms in place to do with the restraints and most restraints have a hand/grab rail that you can hold onto. Inferno has metal bars on each side, Stealth, hold ontot he restraint itself and Swarm have bars either side. You'll be fine.

Also, what is the difference between a rollercoaster with a car (I don't know if that's the right name for them) like Colossus and Saw, as opposed to one like Nemesis Inferno and The Swarm. Do they feel a lot different?

Not sure what you are trying to ask here. Sorry!

The last thing that is bothering me is the beginning bit of The Swarm, where it goes up... (I do know what the thing is called but I can't remember the word) how long does it take to get to the top, because I have a fear of heights, and if it goes really slow, I may die... (not literally obviously lol)

Just look around and enjoy the view as you climb the lift. The first slow inversion on Swarm is a pretty cool sensation so enjoy it! and before you know it you'll hit the brakes and will be wanting to ride again!

Have a great day and to others on this forum, please feel free to correct me if I have given out bad info.

^Thank you

With the bit that you didn't understand I meant what does the difference feel like when your legs are in the car like with Saw, Colossus and Stealth as opposed to ones like Nemesis Inferno and The Swarm where they aren't.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone hear about their Reserve n Ride system?

thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/19-08-2013/Reserve-And-Ride-Trials

Basically it means that you can either use a smart phone or collect a paper ticket, and you don't have to queue for as long. You get a time given to you, and you go to the ride when it is time. It's still trialing at the moment, but it should come into effect soon. Sounds good in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everybody,

I will be visiting Thorpe Park on the 27th of September, and I was wondering if anyone had some information I should know about the park: i.e. ride closures/maintenance, best way to get around the park and hit up all the rides and whether or not I should expect to queue for hours on end. The website doesn't have anything in regards to ride closures and maintenance, so I was wondering if there was anybody who knew and could help me out...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

As its a Fri and its term time again you should have no problem getting round all the rides,as for ride closures they are a bit hit and miss nothing was down last Monday, The biggest queue is normally on colossus so its probably best to do that quite early,its quite a compact park so getting around it isn't much of a problem.hope that helps a bit

^ Additionally, the Swarm is a walk on around 3pm. Everyone goes to it in the morning and forgets about it later in the day because you have to go back round the front of the park to get to it. The pizza hut buffet is the best place to eat! But not during lunch hours.

I will be going to this park in middle october (monday). I've heard its a really busy park even in october so I wonder if its worth getting a fasttrack pass? How long queques can be expected during the peak hours on the main coasters?

If you have any other info you'd like to share for a first time visitor - please do aswell!

I will be going to this park in middle october (monday). I've heard its a really busy park even in october so I wonder if its worth getting a fasttrack pass? How long queques can be expected during the peak hours on the main coasters?

If you have any other info you'd like to share for a first time visitor - please do aswell!

If you are going during Fright Fest you should buy the fast pass. The lines are long during the day, but in the afternoon it just get's insane, even with the maze's open.

If you are going during Fright Fest you should buy the fast pass. The lines are long during the day, but in the afternoon it just get's insane, even with the maze's open.

Thanks for a quick answer. I will not be going during Frightfest, will be there at October 12th. I hope I wont need a fastpass then! (and if I do I assume they sell them in the park aswell, atleast thats what their homepage tell me).

Again, thanks.

Thanks for a quick answer. I will not be going during Frightfest, will be there at October 12th. I hope I wont need a fastpass then! (and if I do I assume they sell them in the park aswell, atleast thats what their homepage tell me).

Again, thanks.

Even if they sell out of the "Ultimate Fastpass" and the smaller fast pass packages you still have all the singles ones available during the day. If they are sold out for 2 o'clock, then you can still by for 2,30 and later. Usually you have an employee at the entrance of the coasters who sells a single fast pass for that particular ride for around 3-4 pounds.