TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Not much change but I found this picture of the new entrance of X. I hope they're going to change the hight restriction and information board as well.

As we can see the ride is still closed so we don't know if the rumors of the trains going forward or re-theme are true.

Old entrance:

Are you ready to ride on a wave of light and sound as you experience the evolution of X:\ No Way Out?

X has been renamed and is heading in a new direction in 2013 as it challenges adrenaline seekers to face a rollercoaster experience like no other at THORPE PARK. Thrill your senses with a race through light and sound that will plunge you into a mix of intense colour and music.

Redesigned and reprogrammed around light and sound, the X trains will now speed forwards into tunnels of changing coloured light. And with a new coaster experience, new fans can enjoy the ride when, for the first time, thrill seekers in the making will be able to face the challenge of X.

Confirmation of X going forward. It seems some re-theming was done in the winter. I wonder to reviews now, They where already not happy with the ride.

• 2 weeks later...
The new TV Add of the Swarm. I think its a upgrade on the last one shows a lot more of the ride but the backwards part kinda sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8aoHCcnzBI

(How do I get this to show a video?)

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/f8aoHCcnzBI[/youtu_be]

Use the YouTube buttons.

For the long URL

and

[youtu_be][/youtu_be] For the short URL.

I used the short URL to embed the video.

This has been a bad call in my opinion, but we'll have to see how popular they are.

Cant see it they take up hardly any space at the side of the park and are perfect for the kind of crowd they are aimed at for Merlin its a win win.

• 2 months later...

The coaster has been pushed back to 2016, but I do believe that they are allready planning it.

Knowing the audience of the park it is probably something like this they are planning, only with more loops.

The coaster has been pushed back to 2016, but I do believe that they are allready planning it.

Knowing the audience of the park it is probably something like this they are planning, only with more loops.

I really loved Abismo in the summer of 2012, but i really hope Thorpe Park goes for yet again a B&M coaster. This type of attractions have really no capacity at all...

I really loved Abismo in the summer of 2012, but i really hope Thorpe Park goes for yet again a B&M coaster. This type of attractions have really no capacity at all...

Remember that Skyloops like Abismo can be built with more than one train operating. You can also get the X-train on it, doubling the capacity. (first X-train is opening at Romon World China in 2014).

Anyway, it was just an example.

Don't hold your breath on another B&M though, apparently The Swarm have not been as well received as the other coasters as Thorpe, and usual comments are "slow" and "not so intense".

^I'm not sure how far that is B&M's fault, I mean, they build what the park asks for. I'm still sure that if a someone wanted a fast paced and intense B&M they would be able to deliver one. The problem is that, sadly, many parks would rather go for less intense, more family-friendly rides to appeal to a wider range of people. I don't think B&M have lost the ability to build intense rides.

whats missing from thorpe imho is an airtime filled coaster, a B&M hypercoaster like shambala or behemoth, although i doubt the budget will stretch for something like that...

but now its lost the record for most inversions, tallest coaster in the uk could a a viable goal

^I'm not sure how far that is B&M's fault, I mean, they build what the park asks for. I'm still sure that if a someone wanted a fast paced and intense B&M they would be able to deliver one. The problem is that, sadly, many parks would rather go for less intense, more family-friendly rides to appeal to a wider range of people. I don't think B&M have lost the ability to build intense rides.

As you say, the park got what they asked for, there is nothing wrong with it.

Also remember it's only rumours, said to be from managers at the park.

whats missing from thorpe imho is an airtime filled coaster, a B&M hypercoaster like shambala or behemoth, although i doubt the budget will stretch for something like that...

but now its lost the record for most inversions, tallest coaster in the uk could a a viable goal

Merlin has an insane amout of money, if they want something and see a market for it they will build it.

However you will never see a B&M hyper at Thrope I can almost promise you, it would not fit the audience at all.

There Facebook page and youtube would be filled with snorky comments on how lame it was.

• 1 month later...

Okay I don't know why it has taken me so long but I feel I must tell everyone about what the park have done to X:\\WTF. Honestly I was so shocked with how much the ride experience has changed. For anyone who went on it before the change knows just how messed up the ride was. The ride is still messed up but it's now messed up in a new way. The new trains are obviously the biggest difference as they now go forwards and have individual lap bars. The trains and very comfortable and the ride is reliably smooth and as the ride no long has pointless stops through out there are some very small forces now delivered by the ride. Inside the pyramid it is now basically a giant rave with lights, lasers, loud music and haze machines and its awesome. The ride is really different now and you can't really compare it to the backwards version due to this. For me personally I love it and it has definitely added a good few more years to the ride before it gets removed.

I can't actually give a review on Swarm backwards as I haven't actually done it but from what I have heard from friends it isn't anything special. It has screwed up the queuing in the station though.

-Craig

My mum was treating my niece to day at Thorpe park last Thursday, so I joined them.

Park was fairly busy with Colossus and Saw both having queues longer than an hour.

Swarm: My first time on a B&M WingRider and I enjoyed the experience. No positive or negative G's to talk of. Some nice hang time and some nice key holing. Nothing special but a pleasant ride. Strangely all day the forward queue was longer (60 minutes) than the backwards queue (40 minutes).

Tidal wave: Short 5 minute queue, big drop, big splash and get wet. It was fun.

Stealth: Still packs a punch for a small ride.

Nemesis: Inferno, Good but not as good as its name sake.

Detonator: Short queue.

X: Short queue. I preferred going forward than backward. They have converted a thrill ride to a family ride with a rave inside a building. Some of the mid course brakes were a bit sharp but still a pleasant ride. My niece and sister were not impressed and said the ride had been spoiled.

Colosus: 70 minute queue. It has gotten rough but I enjoyed the ride.

Saw: 70 minute queue that changed into a 90 minute queue due to break down. No announcements or anything during the break down. Ride has gotten rough but I still enjoyed it.

Swarm: Backwards I was nervous about the experience after riding other rides backwards and feeling queasy but due to the smoothness and lack of forces on the ride I found the experience interesting.

Swarm One last ride forward which I prefer to backwards as you can enjoy the expectation and the key holing. Very short queue at the end of the day and it was nice to ride a smooth ride after Colossus and Saw.

A couple of observations:

Thorpe Park seem to have a habit of stopping the main queue while the fast pass people come in. This means you end up standing still for 10 minutes and then rush forwards, repeat. This makes the wait seem longer. I prefer queues that constantly shuffle forward. I am not complaining as I could of bought fast pass tickets.

At lunch KFC had a huge queue (I can now understand why) so we went to the fish and chip shop instead. Even though there were only three people in the queue ahead of us it still took 20 minutes to get served. They then discovered they did not have enough scampi for two portions. They said it would be 5 minutes. 5 minutes later they thought the scampi was ready and discovered that they had actually cooked chicken goujons instead and gave us small portions of dried out scampi which had been on the side the whole time....

Disappointingly, some of the theming was missing:

- No mist in the Nemesis:Inferno tunnel,

- No sound at all in the SAW external queue,

- No shows on Saw. The car went straight past Jigsaw and only a slight pause before going onto the vertical lift.

I still had a great day at the park.

- James