TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Thorpe Park, Have now push the limits on a certain attraction called Rumba Rapids. After a bunched of Teenagers decided to break the rules on the ride, and swim in the waters of the rapids ride. They have placed a sign at the entrance of the ride, Saying Rumba Rapids is now reserved for family groups with children under the age of 12 years.

People being stupid ruin the attractions for people who play by the rules...

The rapids thing is tough, I mean, I see it from both sides. The kids were dumb so the park is trying to stop it, but the park is blaming ALL teens for the actions of a few.

Now this 6 pound charge for the front row? I'm very curious, do they send the front out empty if people aren't paying!??!

^I mean, that's how the world works nowadays, really. A couple people screw it up for everyone else, whether it's in a classroom or an amusement park or even on a governmental level. So I'm not surprised they're enforcing a rule like this, because if that's what they feel they need to do thanks to the poor moves of a few stupid teenagers then that's what they have to do. Not saying it doesn't suck, of course!

The £6 charge is for front row fast pass (£5 for regular fast pass). The front row queueing system is odd. You queue for the front row and get given a ticket. You then proceed into the station along with people who haven't queued for front row and then you show your ticket. It is a brilliant system because you get to ride in the front without too much additional queuing (I actually once got on quicker by queuing for the front row!)

The thing with Thorpe though is that the only thing I can complain about is the people that attend (there is a lot of the London teenage crowd). It is much better than Alton Towers in my opinion: the coasters are better (I prefer all of the Thorpe thrill coasters (Colossus, Nemesis Inferno, Saw, Stealth, Swarm) over all of the Alton ones (Air, Oblivion, Rita, Thirteen) with the exception of Nemesis). I have found the operations are much better at Thorpe (all the rides running at full capacity) and the size of Thorpe is just right; you can go from one side of the park to the other in ten minutes. I used to love Alton Towers but Thorpe Park has really won me over recently.

Long time listener, first time caller...

Very excited that I will visit an international park for the first time in England next weekend!

I am wondering if anyone has tips for getting to Thorpe Park via pubic transportation from London. According to Thorpe's website, there are a few ways of getting there, but being directionally challenged, I thought I would ask if anyone here has pointers.

Separately, it is being reported tonight that there is now a £6 charge for riding in the front seat on Swarm...

I really hope that other parks don't start copying this, because this is really horrible in my opinion.

EDIT: RollerCoasterSmi's post a few posts down cleared the confusion that you have to pay for front seat.

Edited by XYZ

Long time listener, first time caller...

Very excited that I will visit an international park for the first time in England next weekend!

I am wondering if anyone has tips for getting to Thorpe Park via pubic transportation from London. According to Thorpe's website, there are a few ways of getting there, but being directionally challenged, I thought I would ask if anyone here has pointers.

Hi,

From central London, you need to take a train from London Waterloo to Staines (the train will probably either have Windsor or Reading on the front although there's an A-Z destination board right by the station entrance). From there, you can catch the Thorpe Park bus right to the ticket desks.

Hope you have a great time over here, and Welcome to TPR!!

Andrew

Just to clarify there is NO CHARGE for riding in the front row. The charge people are getting confused by is the Front Row Fast Pass so that you can skip the queue and get straight on the ride in the front row (as opposed to the standard fast pass where you can skip the queue but not ride in the front row).

Hope this clears up confusion, I'm pretty sure there would be outrage if they charged to ride at the front of a coaster.

The thing with Thorpe though is that the only thing I can complain about is the people that attend (there is a lot of the London teenage crowd). It is much better than Alton Towers in my opinion: the coasters are better (I prefer all of the Thorpe thrill coasters (Colossus, Nemesis Inferno, Saw, Stealth, Swarm) over all of the Alton ones (Air, Oblivion, Rita, Thirteen) with the exception of Nemesis).

Last time I was at Alton Towers it seemed like a a convention of travellers had descended on the park. So that was fun. I think I prefer the teenagers.

I agree with everything you say about the rides.

^ But when the travellers go they don't go on the rides, they just look for wives! So thats more rides for us! And I prefer the travellers because they don't bother you like the stupid 'select few' of teens bother you to look cool infront of their 'friends'.

Oh Merlin, you and your marketing...:

Riding rollercoasters can reduce stress and enhance memory, according to a new study by a leading theme park.

Research by Thorpe Park in Surrey among people on its new Swarm ride suggested "astonishing" health benefits.

Neuropsychologist Dr David Lewis, who worked on the study, said: "While the immediate euphoric buzz generated by the flood of feelgood chemicals released into the rider's brain and body seem likely to fade fairly rapidly, more subtle effects may well exert their influence for far longer."

Anyone who is suffering from short-term stress could find that rides increased their self-confidence and reduced their levels of anxiety, he said.

A couple who ride together may also find that it strengthens their mutual attraction, he added.

Link

Oh Merlin, you and your marketing...:
Riding rollercoasters can reduce stress and enhance memory, according to a new study by a leading theme park.

Research by Thorpe Park in Surrey among people on its new Swarm ride suggested "astonishing" health benefits.

Neuropsychologist Dr David Lewis, who worked on the study, said: "While the immediate euphoric buzz generated by the flood of feelgood chemicals released into the rider's brain and body seem likely to fade fairly rapidly, more subtle effects may well exert their influence for far longer."

Anyone who is suffering from short-term stress could find that rides increased their self-confidence and reduced their levels of anxiety, he said.

A couple who ride together may also find that it strengthens their mutual attraction, he added.

Link

In other news - riding roller coasters can enhance your memory, now where did I put that link??