TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Did you sit in an outside seat VS an inside seat when switching trains? That may have caused your difference in ride experiences.

How's the pacing?

Sat in both outside and inside seats on different trains, it was definitely the different train, my friend noticed it too.

Pacing seemed very slow in the morning, and although it wasn't flying round in the afternoon, it seemed a lot better.

Would say my fav seat is as a lot of people have said, back row, left hand side, outside seat (on train 1)

^I myself just got back from Thorpe too,my opinion is exactly the same as yours(and with 10 rides too),and i thought the theming of the whole area top notch,well done Merlin.

And the ride ops trying to convince you about the possible loss of limbs

Rode The Swarm for the first time today and my word it is awesome! The ride is smooth, fast paced and rather forceful in some parts. I personally reckon that this is (arguably) the most 'fun' steel coaster we have in the UK. More intense than was expecting but it is definitely not the most extreme ride in the UK, more of a fun experience. The right hand side of the train offered lots of floaty sensations whilst the left was more forceful.

The theming also looks great up close! Also, the water effects seemed to be synced well with the train and the near misses on the left hand side of the train are very impressive. The length however was the only issue I had with the coaster, otherwise it is amazing.

But Swarm is a show stopper! Definitely (in my opinion) the best ride in the park jointly with Stealth .

I rate it 4.99/5

Will have videos and pictures shortly!

Also; SAW - The ride was shut all day and X:/ WTF's indoor lighting has disappeared. On the plus side, no more chart songs at the entrance! The entrance theme has been resurrected/updated!

I rode swarm on opening day last week and just wow! Got to be up there with one of the best rides in the park!

It's not completly intense but in terms of theming and everything else it makes it one of the best rides there!

I have some pictures here on my Flickr account: www.flickr.com/photos/stokesyboy/

I am off again tomorrow as on another forum we have got 30 mins ERT so will get to try it out even more!

One thing I find odd about the Swarm is the "Inclined Loop" being called an inversion. From what Ive seen, it doesn't even bank past 90 degrees, so doesn't that just make it a helix? Im reluctant to even call Standup Coaster inclined loops inversions, but at least they bank past 90 degrees!

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Thorpe with the ECC on the 31st. The park allowed us in early to have the first ride on swarm. We managed to get row 2 on the left hand side. Overall we weren't very impressed - the first drop is good and the bit over the station but it seemed slow and not much for it.

We spent the rest of the day wandering around as we had a ERS at 6pm on Swarm so didn't see the point of. Q'ing to ride it in the day. Stealth running well, Saw seems better than when we last rode it, inferno is ok aging well, didn't attempt colossus as it look painful. All the coasters broke down at some point in the day.

We had to wait for the public to leave before we were allowed on Swarm. We managed 7 runs and I have to say it was a completely different ride to the morning run. More intense in the middle section and the effects from the "spitting" fountains working. I really like it and rate it quite highly. Coasters for me should be fun and re-rideable and this one certainly is.

I was also at the park on the 31st for the ECC Trip and the more I am riding The Swarm, the more I am actually liking the ride a bit more, Its still doesn't make me scream WOW, that was awesome etc but its a really nice pleasant ride,very re-rideable and just a lot of fun. On our ERS, It really did feel a lot more awesome compared to opening day, As I thought the ride just needed to "break in" a bit, and its already started to feel its top form, Cant wait till its had a good few months of operation under its belt, and then it will really start to feel better and better IMO. I am definatly going to the park for Fright Nites this year, I cant wait for a night ride

I rode the Swarm with the ECC too on Saturday and I really liked it. In my opinion it's better than Raptor as far as overall ride experience even if Raptor has a better theming.

The biggest surprize for me on the Swarm was the last inline which is the part I hate about Raptor. On the Swarm it starts right at the end of the turn and it keeps just the right speed.

The best seat for me is the outside right last row because of the low to the water part next to the helicopter.

Thorpe Park, Have now push the limits on a certain attraction called Rumba Rapids. After a bunched of Teenagers decided to break the rules on the ride, and swim in the waters of the rapids ride. They have placed a sign at the entrance of the ride, Saying Rumba Rapids is now reserved for family groups with children under the age of 12 years.

My point on this - They shouldn't be allowed to close the ride for people without family's with kids. They obvously removed the "Teenagers" and Banned them from the park for life. However don't you think it's kinda discrimination against everyone. I loved riding the ride with friends and not aiming at getting soaked. But we rode the ride for a few laughs watching others get soaked whiles we stay completely dry around the whole ride. Now this isn't going to happen anymore.

What do you all think about it?

Here's a Video and Picture! From Thorpe Park.

553715_3582927742133_1541422549_3015131_154225009_n.jpg

Thank You, - Alex Doughty.

http://travelchatter.dailymail.co.uk/2012/04/thorpe-park-launches-course-to-help-people-overcome-rollercoaster-phobia.html

Nervous anticipation, a pit in the stomach and a slight sweating of the palms are all to be expected before embarking on a rollercoaster ride. But the latest ride at Thorpe Park has apparently resulted in a spate of panic attacks and hyperventilation amongst its riders.

Now the Surrey theme park has teamed-up with Virgin Atlantic to design a treatment plan to help people overcome such extreme reactions to The Swarm.

The half-day course is based on Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Without Fear programme and aims to tackle people’s phobia of rollercoasters, known as ‘veloxrotaphobia’.

The treatment plan will use a range of psychological tools and techniques that have been adapted from Virgin Atlantic’s course, including neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) and cognitive behavior therapy (CBT).

The course will also explain how rollercoasters work and why they are safe.

The session will culminate with a ride on The Swarm - the UK’s first winged rollercoaster - where riders hurtle through the air at almost 62 miles an hour and experience a stomach-lurching 127ft drop.

Paul Tizzard, co-director of Virgin Atlantic's Flying Without Fear programme said: ‘One of the reasons why people are afraid of flying is the feeling of being out of control, which can be applied to those who have a fear of rollercoasters.

‘The Fear of Flying course has a 98 per cent success rate and after testing out the ride, our cabin crew and pilots are confident that our techniques can be adapted to help those currently too scared to ride.’

You can apply for the course, or nominate family and friends, by emailing TPsocial.media@thorpe-park.co.uk. Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.

Veloxrotaphobic’s fears were not assuaged by the news in January that test dummies sent on £20million ride came back with limbs missing.

Officials at Thorpe Park in Surrey needed to take 'drastic measures' after a number of the dummies were left 'visibly damaged' after being exposed to some of the 'extreme “near miss” spots'.

The missing limbs were suspected to be the latest sophisticated stunt by a PR team which has devised a string of headline-grabbing 'events'.

These include a contest where the public was asked to donate urine to create a 'signature stench' for its horror maze SAW Alive and a ban on rollercoaster riders putting their hands in the air due to body odour.

Mike Vallis, Thorpe Park's divisional director, said he was now 100 per cent satisfied the ride fully complies with health and safety requirements.

Okay, someone please explain "veloxrotaphobia." I know it's a real term as I found older results for it on Google, but I've never heard of it before, and it doesn't match up to any synonym or foreign word for roller coaster I know of. Maybe it has completely different roots?

But the latest ride at Thorpe Park has apparently resulted in a spate of panic attacks and hyperventilation amongst its riders.

Now the Surrey theme park has teamed-up with Virgin Atlantic to design a treatment plan to help people overcome such extreme reactions to The Swarm.

I think the idea is fairly good, but the article is so stupid. Even more hype for Thorpe Parks terrifying and extremely forceful B&M that you'd assume they have.

I'm sorry, I may of understood this wrong. The video was posted up for an example of which happened in the past on this ride.

However, I've heard this may be over Easter-Term Only Rule for Rumba Rapids. It's been said that parents have been complaining there isn't enough rides for the kids to enjoy over the Easter-Term/Break. They have limited this ride for a few weeks. But, I'm glad to say they are going to make it back to normal for everyone after Easter.

Thanks - Alex Doughty.

Okay, someone please explain "veloxrotaphobia." I know it's a real term as I found older results for it on Google, but I've never heard of it before, and it doesn't match up to any synonym or foreign word for roller coaster I know of. Maybe it has completely different roots?

Fear of repairing bicycle tires?

Wen't yesterday and Rumba Rapids was still adult group or families only. Road Swarm and although amazingly comfortable (thanks to them rubber foam straps I'm assuming) it had next to no forces after ther first drop at all and even they weren't large. Pretty much the least forceful coasetr in the park in my opinion (apart from Flying Fish and X) but still very fun.

Cheers

89James89