TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

The Swarm is easily the most smooth and most quietest B&M I've been on, its night and day if you compare it to the Furius Baco trains

I'm glad to hear this but sad that it's likely because it's forceless.

I'm still bitter Baco ate my wallet.

Has anyone been on both Swarm and X-Raptor yet?

I'll be there in two weeks.

From what I read it won't be a much different experience from Raptor.

I'm not a huge fan of Raptor but I love how it gets better during the day. Also, in my opinion, the best part of Raptor is the first drop so I'm curious to see how that twisty thing really feels like; especially in the back!

I also attended The Swarm opening day yesterday with Robin, I didn't know you were there Craig!

I was looking about the park for people I knew. I bumped into a few people but sadly didn't see you about. I am pretty sure at least 80% of the people on park were all ride nerds

-Craig

No surprise that the park is very busy today. From people there today, the queue line for Swarm reached 60 minutes + after 30 minutes of the park being open.

Swarm will do very well for the park.

Glad I went on Thursday, hadn't seen Thorpe that quiet at all last season. Should be an interesting year for Thorpe.

I'm perhaps in the minority - but I liked Swarm. It's all about the front seat on the far right, or the back seat on the far right for me... I loved the unique first drop and the unique (for me) 'tumbling around the track' feeling on the zero G roll. I'm looking forward to riding it again.

So B&M have produced another impressive looking, boring ride?

Not really. I rate it quiet highly - better than many of the rides we have in the UK - not as good as many of the rides you have over there though...

It's absolutely a "must ride many times" ride though to find the right seating position for you - one thing that these posts have shown is that everyone feels the same way - the ride is totally different dependent upon where you are sat!

So B&M have produced another impressive looking, boring ride?

I have read a lot of reports on Swarm, and the general opinion seems to be if you ride it once only and in the morning, you won't be that impressed, if you ride it after it has been running all day it is much better. (I shall be able to answer that in T-Minus 3 days )

Also looking at it, surely it will be almost impossible to create an "intense" Winged Coaster due to the location of the seats, surely what would be intense for one side of the train would be uncomfortable for the other side?

^But how can you say that? The Arrow 4D's and the Intamin Wing Riders are VERY intense.

Surely they are intense because you are rotating in 2 directions though on the Arrow 4D's, therefore the G's are higher, the Intamin Wing Rider is just Rough, I didn't find it very intense.

My reference was purely in relation to tight helix's, fast transitions etc...

the Intamin Wing Rider is just Rough, I didn't find it very intense.

It's all where you sit!

Guess the same goes for this boring B&M thing?

Honestly, I'm not excited about riding ANY of the B&M wing riders. They all look totally dull to me. I get that it will be a good ride for the general public, but I wish parks and B&M would stop dumbing down rides.

I'm sure every single Thorpe Park die-hard fan to the average general public roller coaster fan would have rather had I305 sitting there than some lame excuse for a roller coaster than people are having to justify riding it at certain times, certain seats, when the moon is properly aligned, when your blood sugar balance is perfect, etc, etc.... for it to be any good.

Thirteen was a dud, and this doesn't look much better.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I'm sure every single Thorpe Park die-hard fan to the average general public roller coaster fan would have rather had I305 sitting there than some lame excuse for a roller coaster than people are having to justify riding it at certain times, certain seats, when the moon is properly aligned, when your blood sugar balance is perfect, etc, etc.... for it to be any good.

Thirteen was a dud, and this doesn't look much better.

--Robb

I personally prefer TH13TEEN to this boring ride. Im sure people will hate me for saying that and 99% wont agree but none the less thats what i think. I think most people would prefer an Intamin Mega Lite than Swarm.

I don't know about anyone here who has been on it, but did anyone ask the staff what they thought? I spoke to quite a few through the park and most of them were not impressed with the ride. One of the staff I asked me before I rode it what i thought, when I said I had not been on it yet she said "Oh don't go out of your way to ride it, its really not that good". Thats coming from a staff member. About 5 staff members I spoke to about it said it was boring or rubbish. One woman did apologize to me for the ride being rubbish which I found quite funny. She was also pretty hot. A hot girl apologizing to me, cant say thats something that happens to me very often.

-Craig

One reason I believe Swarm is being called rubbish by some is b/c of the outrageous marketing Thrope park did for this ride. Saying it was so intense it was ripping off arms and legs off test dummies then you get there and finally ride to find out it's nothing more then a Boring and Mundane B&M. I understand the need to hype your new ride but imo Thrope and Alton just takes it way to far and have people expecting way to much.

I had the chance to ride the swarm today, and all I can say is that it is incredible. Especially going upside down after the lift hill without holding onto the restraints just really does make you fall out of your seat. I loved the parts on the zero-g roll and the corkscrew where it just kind of stops and pushes your whole body forward then kicks you back again, in a comfortable way. And the station flyover is just perfect. Everything of The Swarm is perfect, though I think the effects need a bit of work on them. Also, the new toilets are nice.

One reason I believe Swarm is being called rubbish by some is b/c of the outrageous marketing Thrope park did for this ride. Saying it was so intense it was ripping off arms and legs off test dummies then you get there and finally ride to find out it's nothing more then a Boring and Mundane B&M. I understand the need to hype your new ride but imo Thrope and Alton just takes it way to far and have people expecting way to much.

Exactly. Had they said with Thirteen "This is a really nice family ride with some unexpected thrill sections", I think I would have liked it much better. It's about as thrilling as Expedition Everest.

Had they told me that Expedition Everest was "SO OMFG INTENSE THAT A YETI WILL RIP YOUR ARMS OFF AND BEAT YOU WITH THEM", I would have been very disappointed with that also.

I really feel like Thorpe and Alton need to re-think their marketing efforts by not setting false expectations.

That's an Awesome True TPR-Review Shot, Craig! lolol.

Sorry it didn't feel right, to your expectations of it.

But - still a credit, right?

OnRide07_Anaconda_WalygatorParc.jpg.fdd88ba66f6f5d0379f81336fcc57309.jpg

Me, behind Hanno, and Robb - on Anaconda at WalyGator Parc. Yep - still true, I've heard. (2008 TPR Europe Tour)

Edited by Nrthwnd