TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

This thread makes me feel better about our country. I've seen Brits, Aussies, and Canadians be even DUMBER than Americans, and that's saying a lot!

Good Job Thorpe Park!

And this isn't going to backfire, if anything it will make people want to go on it more so they can tell their friends: "OMG i went on teh coaster that chops peoples legs off and hit a support, omfg!!!!!"

This thread makes me feel better about our country. I've seen Brits, Aussies, and Canadians be even DUMBER than Americans, and that's saying a lot!

Elissa, I definitely agree with you on this one (especially after Montreal's La Ronde on the 2011 East Coast Trip)! We all definitely have our moments.

In all seriousness, I can't imagine any North American parks taking on this type of stunt. With a lot of the knee-jerk reactions to minor issues, this wouldn't go over so well. I do have to give them credit for another creative marketing campaign though... This definitely caught my eye!

^Oh totally, this would NEVER work in the US, and I guess we're seeing that it may not work in Europe in the future either. Kind of sad what our society has become...oh well, we've got the 2012 apocalypse to look forward to at the end of the year!

All of us coaster enthusiasts know that there is no way this could possibly happen when done properly(unless the designer was drunk)

With the advanced computer software of today, you could test the clearances of a ride before it is even fabricated! The GP on the other hand will probably buy this and have second thoughts about riding.

On an extra note, I don't think anyone has ever used manikins to test a rides clearances, that's what the wooden cutout is for.

Then again the GP buying this means more rides for us enthusiasts!

^I think you're 'over' estimating the General Public. They will love and eat this up! Especially Thorpe Park's clientel. If there were 'problems' with the coaster it will lead to longer lines! Wasn't there a Dave Barry article that said something about how you could put up a sign in front of a ride that said something to the effect of 'This ride is invariably fatal' and the teenagers would line up for days!?!

One of my friend saw this manikin thing reported on CNN yesterday and he freaked out, and asked if I was going to "Rick my life" and ride it.... I spent two hours trying to convince him it was all a stunt for publicity...he still thinks the ride will kill me if I ride it. And he doesn't understand why a company would post this type of thing about their own product if it want true.

One of my friend saw this manikin thing reported on CNN yesterday and he freaked out, and asked if I was going to "Rick my life" and ride it.... I spent two hours trying to convince him it was all a stunt for publicity...he still thinks the ride will kill me if I ride it. And he doesn't understand why a company would post this type of thing about their own product if it want true.

Your friend sounds like a sissy Tell him to grow a pair.

I don't know if it counts but I think Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit has one towards the end of its course, not sure if it is an official inclined loop though.

You'd think I'd've thought of that (it being my avatar, and all), but for some reason I never thought of that maneuver that way. It's not officially considered, but it basically is, aside from the fact that it has variable banking while inclined loops don't.

I love the looks of Swarm. It seems like it'll be excellent, if I ever get the chance to ride it...