TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

As a former 'Plane Spotter' this is kinda annoying me, the wing with the two engines at the bottom of the drop is clearly a Boeing 747. The plane that we are seeing pictures of now is clearly a Airbus A320/A321.

I'm sure that the GP won't notice it at all, but i kinda dislike it...

Well it could also be that they want to have it look like that two planes have crashed but that would be a bit odd IMO.

I am pretty sure that the 747 doesn't have the upturned wingtips......

Discussion on other forums has reported that the whole plane was bought as one in scrap form and is an Boeing 737, it looks as though Merlin Studios have moved the engine mounts as this is a single engine wing and would never have an engine that close to the wing tip.

It looks incredible though, I cannot wait for opening day!!!

garuda-boeing-737-800-from-airteamimages.jpg.500x400.jpg.9e3882f1a3222f8d46c76dfc0d2beb1f.jpg

As a former 'Plane Spotter' this is kinda annoying me, the wing with the two engines at the bottom of the drop is clearly a Boeing 747. The plane that we are seeing pictures of now is clearly a Airbus A320/A321.

Well it could also be that they want to have it look like that two planes have crashed but that would be a bit odd IMO.

Discussion on other forums has reported that the whole plane was bought as one in scrap form and is an Boeing 737, it looks as though Merlin Studios have moved the engine mounts as this is a single engine wing and would never have an engine that close to the wing tip.

As a current plane spotter... and avid Airliner enthusiast, the plane is a 737-300. The wing is faux, and the engines are basically models- and not the real thing: Engines, unlike airframes, can be renovated often- and while the plane's life is over, the engines will live on for longer than the plane itself.

As for the 747's upturned wingtips: Both the 747-400 and 747-400F have Winglets- similar to the B737NG series of planes (The 737-700-900ER) HOWEVER, they are not the blended winglets that you'd find on the 737/757/767 models.

In all, they've done a pretty decent job of 'faking' a plane crash, granted, the wing is a bit undersized compared to that of a 'real' 747.

R.D.

As a current plane spotter... and avid Airliner enthusiast, the plane is a 737-300. The wing is faux, and the engines are basically models- and not the real thing: Engines, unlike airframes, can be renovated often- and while the plane's life is over, the engines will live on for longer than the plane itself.

As for the 747's upturned wingtips: Both the 747-400 and 747-400F have Winglets- similar to the B737NG series of planes (The 737-700-900ER) HOWEVER, they are not the blended winglets that you'd find on the 737/757/767 models.

In all, they've done a pretty decent job of 'faking' a plane crash, granted, the wing is a bit undersized compared to that of a 'real' 747.

R.D.

Respect for knowing all of that!!!!

It really looks like one of those rides where you care more about all the scenery than the actual ride itself. More of an "ooh", "ahh" ride as opposed to a "really intense" ride.

R.D.

Exactly!

If they wanted to theme it properly, shouldn't there be real dead bodies from the wreckage and uncontrollable fire?

Just a horrible, horrible job of themeing!!!!!

You never know. Those near misses may just be too near, and then there will be dead bodies and uncontrollable fire!

^^You have to remember this is a Merlin park. They have a history of embellishing certain facts about their rides. For example Vengance 5D at the London Dungeon - they just took a normal 4D ride, added a pointless shooting element and claimed the ride now has 5 dimensions to it!

Dodgy marketing or not I'm still very excited to ride this coaster next year.