TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Is it fair that B&M designed the same first drop for both Thorpe Park and SFGAm? Probably not... Especially because Thorpe was looking forward to a one of a kind type of first drop. Even though it isn't a THORPE PARK Inversion, I do agree that B&M is to blame! I guess both parks have the same taste in Wing Riders

Why are we even blaming anyone or anything... its like saying that alpengeist copied raptor because they both have cobra rolls. Like...no. If Thorpe wanted it to be a "worlds only" first drop, they would have clearly told B&M. And it seems to me like this will be a common first drop on these wing coasters like the pre drop then turnaround on the batman coasters. Its like if you're in kindergarten and you get this amazing dinosaur toy and everyone thinks its so cool, and then some other kid gets it as well, and you whine about it, but you have to live with it. And thats what Thorpe needs to do. LIVE WIITH IT AND NOT BE OBNOXIOUS ABOUT IT.

Thorpe can still say the element is the only one of its kind in EUROPE so technically its still unique I guess

I'm sure its going to be a great ride, so what if the rides are very similar, The thorpe version looks like its going to have some great themeing(If its pulled off) which will really make it unique compared to any other version, I cant wait to try it out, I will soooooooo be there opening day

I don't really see why everyone's surprised at Thorpe Park's statement. This is the same park that has made its own news by:

Declaring Visitors to have Bad Breath

Moving a Ride due to "Haunting"

Wanting Your Pee

Banning Raised Arms due to BO

along with all the similar Alton Towers stories Merlin puts out. Trying to claim an inversion is almost classy compared to their usual fare.

Saying X-flight stole The Swarms inverted drop is like saying that Kingda Ka stole Top Thrill Dragster's top hat. Its just so stupid. B&M are the ones who designed the ride and the element, not the park. When it gets used on other wing coaster will there be even more complaining? I sure hope not. Find something worth complaining about because its not like SFGAm is going to have there coaster changed because some brits whined about it.

Saying X-flight stole The Swarms inverted drop is like saying that Kingda Ka stole Top Thrill Dragster's top hat. Its just so stupid. B&M are the ones who designed the ride and the element, not the park. When it gets used on other wing coaster will there be even more complaining? I sure hope not. Find something worth complaining about because its not like SFGAm is going to have there coaster changed because some brits whined about it.

Plenty of people did criticize SFGA for copying TTD, as if two different manufacturers made them. I think Thorpe is just trying to generate a buzz as a marketing tool. Weird way to go about it, but it's working so far on here now, isn't it?

Er.... they are on TWO DIFFERENT CONTINENTS! Who besides enthusiasts will know or care? Who besides enthusiasts in the US even KNOWS about Thorpe Park?

I for one would LOVE to get BOTH credits! I don't give a crap if they are very similar or the same. Look at B&M inverts - how many of them start off with turning drop - vertical loop? (Montu, Batman, Nemesis Inferno, Raptor, Afterburn, Patriot, Silver Bullet, Talon) How many of them have a batwing in them? Who cares.

Er.... they are on TWO DIFFERENT CONTINENTS! Who besides enthusiasts will know or care? Who besides enthusiasts in the US even KNOWS about Thorpe Park?

I for one would LOVE to get BOTH credits! I don't give a crap if they are very similar or the same. Look at B&M inverts - how many of them start off with turning drop - vertical loop? (Montu, Batman, Nemesis Inferno, Raptor, Afterburn, Patriot, Silver Bullet, Talon) How many of them have a batwing in them? Who cares.

And so they don't market themselves just because nobody's heard of them? They are trying to lure people to the park in England too, not just overseas.

I don't really see why everyone's surprised at Thorpe Park's statement. This is the same park that has made its own news by:

Declaring Visitors to have Bad Breath

Moving a Ride due to "Haunting"

Wanting Your Pee

Banning Raised Arms due to BO

along with all the similar Alton Towers stories Merlin puts out. Trying to claim an inversion is almost classy compared to their usual fare.

Alton Towers wasn't being serious - they were just making a joke, its british humour. Don't take them too seriously

Edited by TPDave

At the end of the day, if Thorpe wanted this inversion as their own, they could have paid for it. As the dive coaster, it could easily have been the 'THORPE PARK inversion' if they paid for the right. As it stands, it's an exciting new element, that B&M obviously want the world to see. Thorpe Park is enough for Europe, as Six Flags is the US.. They're not close enough for all of this tbh..

No-one as a local 'guest' is going to comapre the two.

Anyhoooo, lift hill construction is up for starts this week, that's exciting enough eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the short post earlier. I was so excited after seeing LOADS of new shiny grey track I had to upload on my phone ASAP.

Had a brilliant day at thorpe park today, however the queue for admissions was HORRENDOUS and we queued for 40 minutes just to get into the park. Once we were in however, the queues were non existant for Saw The Ride, Saw Alive, Colossus, Nemesis Inferno and all the flats however due to the 26 degree heat, Tidal Wave and Loggers Leap were in excess of 30 mins.

All coasters were on maximum train operation, Collossus and Nemmie running both and no stacking whatsoever. The op's were on top form (which usually isnt the case). Stealth, Slammer and Storm Surge were closed all day but Storm Surge opened at 2pm causing HUGE queues. Apparantly Stealth hasnt been running for 4 days and they are awaiting a part from Intamin........... This did dissapoint me as Stealth is my favourite ride at TP and the majority of times I visit it's down

Tidal Wave gave GREAT views of the new ride (but impossible to take pictures of the site because I wouldnt risk taking my phone on Tidal Wave coz it'll get ruined). The footers are in and as i posted earlier, there is LOADS of track on site. The station track is in place and the shell for the station is also built. I'd expect this thing will fly up over the next 2 months.

The entrance is also now sporting a huge tank with "WAR IS COMING" spray painted on the side! Excited much!!!!!

I saw this today and thought it was interesting. Apparently Nemesis Inferno's trains will be getting "supersized" to accommodate larger guests. What does this mean, a row with three seats instead of four? Two seats?

Link

Responding to an increase in its customers' girth, a popular British theme park is accommodating overweight riders with two larger seats on its Nemesis Inferno rollercoaster.

CAPTIONBy Craig T. Mathew, Mathew Imaging

"The reality is we are super sizing - that's a fact we're embracing," Thorpe Park's Mike Vallis told the Daily Mail. "Why shouldn't people be comfortable when they are enjoying a day out with their friends or family?"

The Surrey park - in the news earlier for white-knuckle experiences of the paranormal variety - plans to roll out the bigger seats on other rides as well.

Of course, the U.K. isn't the only place where theme park guests "of size" have had a tough time squeezing into too-tight quarters.

Here in the Home of the Big Mac, "I don't think it's as much an issue of changing seats on old rides as it is designing new rides to accommodate people of larger size," says Robert Niles of ThemeParkInsider.com. "Every new coaster I've seen in the past several years either has special seats or rows for larger riders, or extension options so that the restraints can hold larger riders. "

"Lack of accommodation for larger riders is another factor that parks consider when deciding which rides to close," adds Niles. "A ride that can't handle (them) comfortably would have to be very popular to be worth renovating. Otherwise, that lack of accommodation becomes another excuse for the park to junk that ride and invest instead in building something new."

That said, some "pudgy muggles" trying to board the signature attraction at Universal Studios' Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park in Orlando have been turned away because of their size. "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey" uses restraints to keep riders in their seats, and they aren't large enough to accommodate heavier guests.

"The very blunt truth is that for overweight patrons, it makes sense to review the park's guidelines and ride restrictions before buying tickets," notes The Fat Girl's Guide to Amusement Parks.

Readers, weigh in: Have you ever been turned away from a ride because you were too big to fit?

Again, this is another advertisement stunt done by Thorpe Park. Nemesis Inferno has always had the seats for 'larger guests' available from the day it opened. There have always been signs informing of which rows have them. It's nothing new so I have no idea what the point of doing this was. But lately, I've begun not to question them and rather let them get on with it.

Again, this is another advertisement stunt done by Thorpe Park. Nemesis Inferno has always had the seats for 'larger guests' available from the day it opened. There have always been signs informing of which rows have them. It's nothing new so I have no idea what the point of doing this was. But lately, I've begun not to question them and rather let them get on with it.

Apparently Nemesis Inferno's trains will be getting "supersized" to accommodate larger guests.

Actually, it appears to be poor writing on the part of the person who made the original post. Nowhere in the article does it state that Nemesis Inferno will be adding larger seats in the future.

Edited by larrygator

^apologies. I suppose I misunderstood the article. Having never been to Thorpe Park I was unaware that these seats were already in place. Sorry about any misunderstanding.

No problem, quite hoestly the article was poorly written, also.