TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Swarm is going to be about killer bees.

2. There is a rumour of a 2012 remake

No remake of The Swarm in 2012- or I'd guess, ever again. The Swarm (first) was one of the few Irwin Allen box office DUDS- as in, it lost more money than it took in; Michael Caine and Henry Fonda should have been ashamed of it)...

There are two projects in development with the title "The Swarm" but they will not have anything in common with the original- at all. Irwin Allen's production company has only allowed (so far) two re-makes of his films- and those were both based upon a novel he didn't even buy (The Posidon Adventure, and "Posidon").

A swarm of something else, perhaps- but bees, I think not!

Swarm is going to be about killer bees.

2. There is a rumour of a 2012 remake

No remake of The Swarm in 2012- or I'd guess, ever again. The Swarm (first) was one of the few Irwin Allen box office DUDS- as in, it lost more money than it took in; Michael Caine and Henry Fonda should have been ashamed of it)...

There are two projects in development with the title "The Swarm" but they will not have anything in common with the original- at all. Irwin Allen's production company has only allowed (so far) two re-makes of his films- and those were both based upon a novel he didn't even buy (The Posidon Adventure, and "Posidon").

A swarm of something else, perhaps- but bees, I think not!

I'm thinking aliens. Just because of the concept art, plus in the video you can see heavy artillery being fired.

I really like this! I do hope the cars get close to the water, a bit like Maverick. However, if the ride is about killer bees, then why does the car look like something related to Terminator? I was hoping for something that looked like it was made out of scrap metal.

Edited by dominoes

Given the apocalyptic theme, name, and the art released so far, I'm guessing that they're going with a grey-goo nanobot swarm theme (i.e. Prey), not deadly deadly bees.

From the NL video the layout appears pretty short, but with some theming and near misses it might be a cool ride. I initially though Raptor looked about the same, but it turned out to be a fun looking coaster.

Given the apocalyptic theme, name, and the art released so far, I'm guessing that they're going with a grey-goo nanobot swarm theme (i.e. Prey), not deadly deadly bees.

OMG! I thought I was the only one on this site who has read that book! Although it looks more alien to me. The swarms in Prey do change shape and appearance (sp?) though . I find it unlikely that a rollercoaster would be based off of nanobots

I gotta be honest, I don't really "get" these new style of coasters from B&M.

I've got to agree... until they start spinning whats the point? It's not really a new kind of coaster as a new seating style for a B&M flooless right now in my opinion... I mean... they're cool to a degree cause there's nothing under you... but it's nothing special. Sure, the first drop looks cool... but the layout in the video looked kinda boring... it looks kinda forceless and there seems to be no means of airtime. I'm not usually one to pass judgement on a ride without riding it, and I do realize the concept art and no limits renderings are not necessarily accurate... but I am not very impressed by this.

^ Well, for a start, the reason of the cars (that don't spin) is to give a sensation of flying. It is like sitting there and saying "Whats the point in Inverted Coasters when you have Flying Coasters?". For the second point, yes it is a bland layout. I am very sad there is no airtime. I think what the designers thought was that the Wingrider will enhance the experience. But yeah, the layout is a bit

Personally I think people should wait and see. It could be great, it could be disappointing, who knows yet? The layout is possibly due to restrictions with space / money ...although it looks to be an improvement on Raptor's layout in my view. None of Thorpe Park's coasters are particularly long, but they are, on the whole, good cocepts and have interesting and unique selling points. For me, it's about what a park needs too, and this will be a unique addition to Thorpe Park. I like that they want to tell a story and have people invest more in an attraction. The first drop looks great, agreed, and if they can add some effects to the remainder of the ride it should be a great experience. I don't think it's always about the intensity, the speed or the airtime, it's about the experience and where this fits into your whole day out. Personally I am looking forward to riding it

After watching the video, I think B&M needs to put that first drop on a stand-up coaster.

Back on topic, I think it looks like a fun coaster and it will be interesting to see what new elements end up on the rumored Dollywood coaster.

I think it'll be interesting. Hey, it's a new coaster, that's how I look at it. This is still pretty much a new concept, or enhanced concept from the floorless, and I believe the track is much bigger, which means it's going to cost more. I'm sure regardless, this is going to be a hit for Thorpe.

Oh, what's the name of the song?

ADMIN EDIT: Please do not double post. If you wish to add information to a thread in which you were the last poster, please edit your previous post.

Edited by TPDave