TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Aquatica's Omaka Rocka announced for March 2010

According to SeaWorld Aquatica's website, Whanau Way is closed due to possible construction for an expansion project opening in spring of 2010. Does not mention what would be constructed.

Whanau Way

This quadruple slide tower offers riders four different high-speed experiences. Due to construction to make way for an exciting new expansion project scheduled to open in Spring 2010, this ride will be closed until October 30.

Was posted in the "Rides" section of the website.

www.aquaticabyseaworld.com/Site/RideList.aspx

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's awesome. I remember we heard this news from a tram operator several months ago, probably back in June sometime, but I paid him no mind considering I hadn't heard the news elsewhere. I remember he mentioned somethings that were going to be included in the expansion, but it just went in one ear and out the other considering I really didn't believe it was happening.

I'm really curious (and surprised to be honest) to see just what they are planning to expand off from this particular tower. There doesn't seem to be all too much room to any side of this attraction to fit another one... unless they expand into the "backstage" area off to the backside of the tower... Any expansion to the park is welcome and I'm excited to see what will come of it.

I agree. This park, while nicely themed, just lacks lots of fun. The best part for me (and my son) was the rapids... lazy river, whatever it is called. We wore vests, and the current just dragged us around... loads of fun! I left very disappointed, but we would go back just for the rapids.

When you're walking up the stairs to the top level where the four tube slides are currently, you pass by a completed level underneath. It has a poured cement floor and everything. When looking down towards the park from that floor, there is a clearing to the left of the current splash pool for the tube slides. Could be a splash down for new slides.

When we were there a couple of weeks ago, we were already speculating. Our discussion was if something else was supposed to have gone there during initial construction and it was cancelled, or if it was built in to allow for a future addition.

I think it's a great park, but it could use a few more attractions to help spread out the crowds. Dolphin Plunge slide did not open during our visit due to "mechanical reasons"... strange.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a while since we had an update of what we might expect in 2010. However Screamscape posted an update with information from an LA Times post.

SeaWorld Aquatica’s 2010 expansion to include 4 new water slides

The recently opened SeaWorld Aquatica water park in Orlando, Fla. will add four first-of-a-kind water slides in 2010, including a pair of inner-tube rides that go uphill with the help of a hydro-magnetic launch.

The twin Tornado Walls are V-shaped slides that start with a magnetic launch that shoots a six-person inflatable raft up the face of a vertical wall. One of the two launch sequences travels through a tunnel. After reaching the top of the water wall, the rafts race down the incline and along an uphill outrun with a small whoop-de-do hill.

Also on tap for Aquatica in 2010:

A 40-foot-tall Topsy-Turvy pipeline complex that features a pair of traditional looping water slides combined with a series of funnel-like attractions where riders swirl and spin before continuing on with their journey.

Riders on the two-person inner tubes can choose between two Topsy-Turvy tracks — a 285-foot-long run with two funnels or a longer 460-foot-long route with four funnels.

The four new water slides were on display this week at the ProSlide exhibit during the International Assn. of Amusement Parks and Attraction (IAAPA) convention in Las Vegas.

travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/seaworld-aquatica-20-5871/

The name of new expansion has been officially confirmed in the latest Seaworld press release found here: http://www.seaworld.com/sitepage.aspx?PageID=785.

And this spring, the all-new Omaka Rocka thrills with high-speed tubes and massive half-pipe funnels that will have you sliding frontward and backward and climbing the walls. It’s all new and only at Aquatica.

• 1 month later...

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/2009/12/aquatica-new-omaka-rocka-ride-set-to-debut-by-march.html

Aquatica will be home to a new ride by March 2010, SeaWorld officials confirmed today. Omaka Rocka, which will feature half-pipe maneuvers through three funnels (think extreme sports/skateboarding), will be the water park’s first expansion since it opened in early 2008.

Here are some details about Omaka Rocka:

+ It will share a platform with Whanau Way, on the wave-pool side of the park.

+ There will be two slides with three funnels each.

+ The name comes from South Seas and means “rocking river.”

+ The half-pipe element will provide “near weightlessness,” says Aquatica general manager Rick Beddow.

+ Guests will ride in two-seater floats like those currently found in the park.

+ There will be no height restriction, although you must be able to hold onto the grips and maintain the riding position throughout.

+ Although portions of the Omaka Rocka will be enclosed, the tubing will be “semi-transparent,” allowing more light in — and allowing landlubbers to see folks sliding through, says Brian Morrow, director of design and engineering. (As opposed to some of the very dark entrances of other Aquatica attractions.)

+ Morrow says SeaWorld has always had an expansion master plan — the Whanau Way tower was built with another ride in mind for the future. But Omaka Rocka is not the ride that was originally planned for that spot.

+ Construction is under way, and passersby should be able to see the tubing go up during the first half of January, Morrow says.

^I'm pretty sure the tornado bowl of the Tantrum is the "half pipe" element in question. I've not been able to ride a tornado (or anything like it) since our nearest one was closed during my visit to Wet n' Wild, but I've been told that you get some airtime coming back down off of the highest point of the bowl when you first slide up and down the sides.

Aquatica has sent us its official press release for Omaka Rocka which gives a little more information to go with what was listed above.

Omaka Rocka Rocks Aquatica in 2010

All-new waterslide thrill ride unlike anything in Orlando, opens this spring

Orlando, FL (December 17, 2009) – An all-new family waterslide rocks into Aquatica in Orlando with unique thrills including high-speed tubes and half-pipe funnels that’ll have riders splashing and sliding frontward and backward and climbing the walls. The first waterslide of its kind in the world, Omaka Rocka opens this spring.

What makes Omaka Rocka next year’s can’t-miss waterpark ride in Orlando? Riders speed down flumes into massive funnels, sliding high up one side and then the other, rocking back and forth, feeling a sensation of near weightlessness. Coming out of the funnel, they’ll skim into a drenching splashdown and then find themselves wanting to do it all over again.

Omaka Rocka is a waterslide taste of half-pipe, near-vertical thrills previously experienced only by daring skateboarders and snowboarders.

Aquatica is a one-of-a-kind waterpark that could only come from SeaWorld. Inspired by a whimsical take on the South Seas, Aquatica immerses guests in the playfulness of the sea, taking them in, over and under the water with the world’s most unique water rides and animal encounters. Aquatica mixes animal experiences, waters from serene to extreme, high speed waterslide thrills and wide, sandy beaches to create a day of non-stop fun.

To discover more about Aquatica, go to AquaticaBySeaWorld.com.

How do they know when to dispatch the next tube? Surely they don't wait until the one before it exits the slide, do they? (But, if not, doesn't this increase the risk of an accident occurring?)

Like most if not all of the slides at Aquatica, they have sensors that let the ride op now when the tubes have passed a safe point. I'm pretty sure they'll use the same technology on this one.

• 4 weeks later...

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/2010/01/aquatica-pictures-of-new-omaka-rocka-water-slide-under-construction.html

Here are fresh photos from Aquatica of the under-construction Omaka Rocka, which will be the first addition to the water park since it opened two years ago. It is expected to open in March.

SeaWorld Marketing describes it two different ways: “Riders will speed down flumes into massive tunnels, sliding high up one side then the other, rocking back and forth, feeling a sensation of near weightlessness.”

And “Omaka Rocka is a waterslide taste of half-pipe, near-vertical thrills previously experienced only by daring skateboarders and snowboarders. Coming out of the funnel, riders will skim into a drenching splashdown…”

• 1 month later...