TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

World Joyland in China

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh...it seems the most creative rides are being built in Asia while we continually get clones or just slight changes to existing rides...bummers.

Yeah, ever since asia has been in this theme park boom that seems to be the theme going on over there. Their parks actually have money and are willing to pay companies to create something new and innovative. they've got some great rides now, Fireball, a new terrain GCI, a GG racer, and now this. and they've got a few clones too that are good.

• 3 months later...

Just saw the video, all I can say is WOW! That thing looks amazing! I *loved* Tatsu but this looks like it could beat it.

It's also nice to see B&M trying new things, such as the 540* roll and the vertical loop and the lying down section, amazing.

Too bad I'll probably never be able to ride it, but hopefully B&M will bring these things stateside!

• 1 year later...

http://www.cnngo.com/shanghai/life/joyland-chinas-disneyland-digital-era-492056

When Joyland (嬉戏谷) first reared its costumed head back in 2006, it was billed as the Disneyland of the digital era. Now, the colossal RMB 2 billion (US$315 million) venture is best known to the outside world as the theme park of "World of Warcraft" and "Starcraft."

Roughly two hours' drive northwest of Shanghai, in the Wujing District of Changzhou, the 800,000-square-meter park is a digital-themed wonderland with zones and rides modeled after video games and comic shows.

Two main areas are heavily based on game franchises "World of Warcraft" and "Starcraft," though neither is officially licensed by Blizzard Entertainment.

Having thrown open its gates in May 2011, Joyland -- whose Chinese name translates roughly as "Play Valley" -- is now one of the most popular theme parks in China.

Joyland is a headquarter hangout for Chinese cosplay fans.

During the park’s opening festivities, visitors helped break the world record for the largest gathering of people dressed as comic book characters. A Guinness World Records' adjudicator tallied 1,530 cosplayers, though another 201 were disqualified because they were dressed as characters from video games rather than comic books. Cosplay culture has thrived among Chinese students for more than a decade. Youngsters go to great lengths to look like characters from video games, mangas and animes. The celebration of the park's first year drew many more costume-clad visitors to catch a glimpse of Japanese star Aoi Sora, who came to perform in the park.

The theme park consists of several zones set around Fairy Lake, a 31,000-square-meter manmade lake which serves as the main performance area.

The main recreational zones include the Terrain of Magic (modeled after "World of Warcraft"), Universe of Starship (modeled after "Starcraft") and Taobao Street, a 150-meter-long shopping street for video games and comic book side products.

Although these unlicensed copies bother some of Blizzard Entertainment’s foreign fans, Chinese visitors seem content to enjoy the settings and characters of these popular games brought to life, untroubled by notions of copyright.

Visitors wait to board the Path of Demon Spirits ride in the Terrain of Magic area. The entrance is surrounded by glowing-eyed guardians and projections of lighting swords. Bursting through the gates below the guardians of the Hot Splash Bay at speed of 80 kph, log flume riders are washed by waves as high as 10 meters. A glass-covered viewing platform is built to protect onlookers from the splash in front of this 26-meter-high mountain. Having survived the colossal waves, riders regroup, thankful that they donned the bright colored rain slickers -- on sale at the entrance for RMB 7 -- before they boarded the ride.

Crowds gather for an afternoon performance around Fairy Lake.

During the park's first anniversary gala, more than 30,000 visitors pitched up at the park, many of whom came here just to see Aoi Sora gliding round atop an eagle boat.

In place of normal animals, angry battery-powered dragons (which are for sale on Taobao Street) flap their wings, flash their eyes and make as it to take a bite out of children.

In the arcade hall, Betty Wang (王美玲) mans the rainbow toss game. The Changzhou native, who has worked at Joyland for half a year, says it's a fun place to work and business is good in the park.

Although initial reports of the park were lackluster, mentioning rides still under construction and empty streets, Joyland now appears to be picking up speed (with only the spaceship-like temple at the top of Holy Palace Mountain still unfinished).

With a 3.5-star rating from netizens on the popular review website Dianping.com, the park seems to satisfy Chinese video gamers and cosplay fans who are looking for a wonderland of their own.

Getting there: Located in near Taihu outside of Changzhou, Joyland is an easy day trip from Shanghai. High-speed trains run frequently between Shanghai and Changzhou. A one-way ticket costs RMB 51.

At Changzhou train station’s north square, visitors can buy entry tickets to Joyland at the bus station’s ticket counters (RMB 200 for an adult) and board a shuttle bus for the hour-long journey to the park’s entry gates.

Shuttle buses begin running around 7:30 a.m. on weekends and 8:30 a.m. on weekdays, with the last bus back from the park at 5 p.m. Visitors are advised to call ahead to confirm shuttle bus times on their desired day of transport.

The park is also accessible via public transport from Changzhou station, however the journey takes longer.

I know this has nothing to do with what was just posted about the copy right issue, but I can't get over how awesome that flying coaster looks. Watching the train go through that zero-g-roll (or inline twist-fly-to-lie) is just awesome...and then the loop and lie-to-fly?! Wow!

I saw references a few pages ago, and wasn't sure if it is still on, but this park on TPR's 2012 China Trip? I'd love to hear TPR's thoughts on Starry Sky Ripper!

^ I know, that flyer looks like one of B&Ms better designs and looks to be up there with Tatsu in terms of intensity for flyers. Also that copyright issue does not surprise me one bit, after all it is China, which is also know as the land of no copyright!