TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Official Windows 7 Discussion

andyuk200523

I just brought a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Premium loaded on it, wish me luck. My view is that it has to be an improvement on Vista - which was absolutely diabolical. If I had known how bad Vista was when I brought my last laptop I wouldn't have bought the laptop.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never going to be able to create a Roller Coaster in the RAW Blu-Ray when Windows 7 keeps crashing on me all the time...

win_7_just_flat_out_sucks_2.thumb.jpg.3ad7b27dcf87a630da2371be15885c92.jpg

And like, not that XP was any better. It used to crash on me all the time too...but Win 7 was SUPPOSED to be an improvement. In some ways it is, but for stability and dependability... it flat out sucks ass. At least for the applications I'm using it with.

--Robb

^Do the apps actually crash on you? Or do they just lag? My experience with Win7 is that the apps might lag here and there, but they don't crash that much. I've never had the OS outright crash on me, but I have seen it happen to other people.

I wouldn't go to Mac now. Mainly because I greatly prefer the Win7 GUI over Mac. That and Mac is really expensive for the hardware you get.

My gripe about Win7 is all the !#@!#!@ updates. WTF is with all the updates? It's installing like 3-10 per day on me.

^ They crash about 75% of the time and lag for a loooooooong time about another 25%.

Can someone help me with this completely f**king retarded Windows 7 problem I am now having. This time it's on my laptop, so yet ANOTHER computer with Windows 7 that is being annoying.

I recently changed my internet provider with a new 2Wire wireless router. This means my WEP code has changed.

I've had no problem changing it on all my XP wireless machines, and of course my other Win 7 machine is wired so this problem would never come up.

Well, the name of the network is the same name as the one before (I like things to stay consistent) and on all my XP machines I just got a pop-up that said "Invalid WEP key, please enter a valid key" which I did, took me about 30 seconds and I'm connected!

With Windows 7, because I think they are trying to make the OS "idiot Proof" I'm now getting an error saying it can no longer conect to my WEP because "The settings saved on this computer are different...blah, blah, blah..."

So I've right clicked on that network, selected properties, entered a new WEP which says is "Valid" but my wireless conections manager still hasn't updated and no matter how many times I click the "Refresh" or restart the machine, or no matter how many times I enter the new WEP key into the properties section it doesn't work!!!

WTF!!!!!

I Google searched it and the only solution I was told is "Change the name of your network!"

ARE YOU F**KING KIDDING ME?!?!?!

Windows 7 isn't smart enough to figure this shit out! So now in order to make my *one* Windows 7 wireless machine work I have to now go and change ALL MY OTHER WIRELESS MACHINES because I have to change the name of my network???

F**K THIS!!!

I'm so close to re-installing XP I'm so frustrated with Win 7.

Here's a picture of the error. If someone can help with this, PLEASE let me know what you did to fix this.

Windows 7 is retarded.

fuckstupidwindows7sucksmyassandihatehatehatehatehateit.jpg.7202a645668836d19e16c33de96bccb1.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

i assume you've already tried the following

right click the wireless icon in the taskbar

open network and sharing center

manage wireless connections

find your connection..

change the key there or remove it and built a new connection..

^ & ^^ I think a lot of the people who don't have issues I'm also assuming aren't hitting the operating system that hard.

Likely so. Most I ever have running at one time usually consists of Skype, Firefox and a fullscreen game like Halo or Burnout.

I dunno, Robb... to be honest I think you should switch back to XP. Seems like WAY too much effort to wait for 7 to crap itself every time something important needs to process.

i assume you've already tried the following

right click the wireless icon in the taskbar

open network and sharing center

manage wireless connections

find your connection..

change the key there or remove it and built a new connection..

Yep! Already tried that too.

Basically what I had to do is rename my router to something else.

Have Win 7 detect it and it log in.

Then I renamed my router BACk to what it was before.

And I changed the name of the router in the new settings to the new router.

It was a completely ass backwards way of having to do this.

Whereas my XP machines, my iPhone, my Nintendo Wii, etc, all were able to figure out that my new "Sharktums" router had changed and it just simply asked for the new WEP key.

I´m not using W7 and you don´t make me want to, right now I´m using Vista and don´t have so much problems at all. Not more than in XP before.

Robb, I tried to search for this problem and can´t find different options than Hhappy or you tried. But they are all mentioned, that this problems in W7 are more concerning on WEP. With WPA2 it should work better.

By the way WPA2 is the more secure option, you´re knowing that?

P.S.: Didn´t know that your wife is a Router

^ Keep in mind...I'm not saying that Windows 7 is *BAD*, I'm just more saying that it is NOT everything it was promoted to be. The problems I'm having with Windows 7 are pretty much the same problems I had with XP also. I was just told for many months that Windows 7 was supposed to be this improvement over XP, and I'm just not seeing it.

I don't *really* hate it...but it has not been living up to my expectations.

I had some Windows 7 issues for sometime in the beginning with BSOD's, but it was some driver issues that once corrected made Windows 7 stable as can be. If I have issues with "Program Stopped Responding" like I had with some video software I had, I put it into XP or Vista SP2 capability mode and it runs fine. It's not perfect, but there are ways to fix the issues (most of the time).

I really enjoy the OS, more than XP and MUCH more than Vista. Running Windows 7 Profressional 64 Bit.

^ Keep in mind...I'm not saying that Windows 7 is *BAD*, I'm just more saying that it is NOT everything it was promoted to be. The problems I'm having with Windows 7 are pretty much the same problems I had with XP also. I was just told for many months that Windows 7 was supposed to be this improvement over XP, and I'm just not seeing it.

I don't *really* hate it...but it has not been living up to my expectations.

Yeah, I did understand. But like I said, I´m using Vista and had have problems with it in the beginning. Now it´s working "fine" - like XP and still with problems here and there. W7 has some nice new feautures, but why should I change, if I´ll have all the issues in the beginning of selling it, like 3 years ago The most people I know - using it - don´t have much problems with it, but I agree in your opinion and guessed that it is NOT everything it was promoted to be.

I´m interested in this touch function, but for what, if you don´t have a tablet pc. There aren´t anymore the nice tablet pcs with the option to turn down the display and holding it like a writing pad of paper. Wish to get something like that for editing DVDs and Blu-Rays and grafic programs, but the hardware don´t reach the requirements.

Hughe Crap!

But I get this issue often with Ulead Video Studio 11.5 plus. Maybe it´s not Windows 7, but Adobe CS4 combined with Windows 7? My Sony Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro is working perfect on Vista and never get this issue. Especially if you want to built Blu-Rays the other programm is so often down...

My experience with Windows 7 is that it looks really nice, has some convenient features, but underneath the hood, it still has a lot of little annoying problems that can cause a lot of problems. The main difference I see is that with XP, when a app crashed, the entire computer crashed. With Windows 7 when an app crashes, you will lose all your work, and most of the time the computer won't crash, but you still have to cross your fingers. It seems it may have really been designed by those people in the commercials

-Joey

IMO, Win 7 only does two things that benefit me over XP:

1. It plays .MTS files in WMP without any issue.

2. When my browser frequently crashes, it usually recovers everything.

#1 is FAR more important to me than the second thing.

But from my perspective, if it wasn't so good at playing those HD video files, which I use all the time, I would uninstall and it just go back to XP because I don't see it as being that major of an improvement.

I mean neither my DVD Thermal printer or the Club TPR Membership Card printer would work in WIn 7 without having to go through extra steps to run them in either XP mode or Admin mode...which is also annoying.

--Robb "Not a Win 7 hater...but not a fan either." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I bought a laptop with Windows 7 on Saturday, turned it on and it installed it. Then it shut down when it was finished, turned it back on - cannot find operating system (apparently it's been happening a lot with Toshibas). Because it didn't have a disc drive, it couldn't be restored from a disc and I wasn't prepared to fork out money for an external disc drive. Took that laptop back and got my money back, I'll have to experience Windows 7 later.

Just got a new laptop a few hours ago w/ windows 7, and I'm getting used to it fairly easier than expected. I still don't know where most things are, (the task bar is confusing the crap out of me) but at least I found the control panel and I've got it hooked up to the internet. The only thing I'll miss from my old laptop is well, I had lots of my personal camera footage from my trip to SFGAdv and now it's all gone. Oh, and I got a samsung. The keys are an awful lot like my friends vaio, and I still can't type one full sentence without accidentally turning "Num lock" on.

Well, I recently got a laptop with Windows 7,and so far I've had no complaints. It's annoying that I have a few compatibility issues with apps that ran just fine on XP, but that's really a minor thing. In my opinion it's a major improvement over Vista.

Just noticed a new update for windows 7 which might fix some of the "not responding" issues..

according to Microsoft

the update KB980408 fixes the following things (amongst others)

Windows Explorer may stop responding for 30 seconds when a file or a directory is created or renamed after certain applications are installed.

I'm searching for the names of these certain applications... but yeah.. might be interesting

*sigh* and even after a complete system re-boot, it happens again 5 minutes later...

windows_7_notresponding2.thumb.jpg.9dedd397b66b414ed61a3440b4e2f50a.jpg

This time the program just quit on it's own! I didn't even get an option of waiting for it to recover.

Mine just started saying windows needs to be authenticated. When I enter the code, it says it doesn't work.

OMG! I went through that too! I entered the code that was on the actual product, it didn't work, and an hour later having to convince Microsoft that I wasn't using a pirated version of the software they finally gave me a new code. I even went as far as taking a picture of my product packaging with my phone and emailed it to the person I was talking to.

Seriously, at this point, if Windows 7 did not handle those .mts files so well, I would be un-installing it and putting XP back on my machine.

I will say though, I have only installed Windows 7 on the machines I do HD video editing on, and I have NOT installed it on any other machine because I really do feel that XP is far more stable and if there aren't any features of Windows 7 I would be using on a specific machine, what's the point on installing a less stable operating system?

--Robb