Official Windows 7 Discussion

andyuk200523

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Touchscreen computers are going to start flying off the shelves not too long from now.

Must be all that Energon in them. I hope this doesn't cause too many fatalities.

--Robb

No worries they are tethered to the shelf with Intamin cable.

I haven't gotten my copy of windows 7 yet, it is in the mail, but I will say this I had a good yell at Best Buy because when I bought my new computer from them it was all, "Free upgrade to Windows Seven," but then I can't just get a copy I had to go through the manufacturer because to get the "free" copy at BB I had to pay the $40 installation fee. Needless to say I got angry and yelled that $40 is not free and the poor geek squad girl had to be my victim, though I know it is not her fault.

Touchscreen computers are going to start flying off the shelves not too long from now.

Must be all that Energon in them. I hope this doesn't cause too many fatalities.

--Robb

No worries they are tethered to the shelf with Intamin cable.

Even more reason to be concerned.

Maybe I'll have my dad upgrade our laptop to Windows 7. All I've heard so far is praise.

So far I like for the most part.

A couple problems so far, minor, but annoying.

-touchpad isn't scrolling

-wants me to change my wireless radio signal from 802.11b to 802.11a to sync my xbox to windows media center

-function button (Fn on certain computers) is not working.

other than that it looks and runs wonderfully.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate right now as an upgrade with all files and settings transfered.

I've only gotten about an hour of use out of it though, but here are my thoughts:

It boots faster, Vista took about 90 to 120 seconds to boot from the loading screen to the desktop. Windows 7 does it in a minute or less.

The Task bar is great! Includes the option to put different programs in it for easier access. When using firefox you can minimize and bring back the page you were on. When having more than one instance of Firefox running, they'll be stacked, and when clicked on, will spread out horizontally, allowing you to click the instance of firefox you want.

When iTunes is minimized, I can hover over it with my mouse in the taskbar, and it will pop up with a small picture of iTunes in it's current state as well as the Songtitle, Artist, and Album.

Alt+Tab is much faster between programs, especially games to desktop and back.

CTRL+ALT+DEL as well as starting the Task Manager is much quicker. Terminating a program will terminate it without hesitation, even a program that uses a lot of resources.

So, yes, I still like Windows and can't wait to find out more.

Well, here's my review, for what it is. I don't use my computer for everything.

This review isn't going to be very long, just short simple to the point.

(Sidenote: I have no bias on Windows or Apple, or any other company out there, these are just my opinions.)

Windows 7.

When you first start up your computer there is a noticeable difference immediately. The start-up animation is 4 colors (red, green, blue, and yellow,) intertwining then forming the Windows symbol, then lights up, and goes to the log-in menu. Startup is much faster than it was in Vista, and I absolutely love it. (The first day I got Windows 7, I turned off my computer on start-up just to watch it start back up it's that cool. :hehe:

Anyways, after login there is a huge noticeable difference, mainly in the task bar. You no longer have the elongated words of what programs your running. I love the task bar, it has definitely improved, and makes it so much simpler. Resembling somewhat of the Apple's "Dock" menu's the task bar can pin programs onto it, and when running the program will have a glossy see through box around it. When you hover your mouse over it, it previews your program, and if you have more than one instance of it open, it'll preview those as well in a completely different box (even if it's just a tab on the internet.) Which I absolutely love, it really makes it simple. Also in a music program (in this case iTunes,) it will open it, then it will also tell you whose playing, the album, and artist. The task bar is a definite win on Windows side.

Personalizing your computer is very easy, and is very fun. You can set your background to a slideshow, kind of like a screensaver of pictures as your desktop. There are also a many selection of pre-set themes and more you can download more off of the Windows website.

Windows shortcuts. I love these, if you hit the Windows button and spacebar it screen-peeks at your desktop, also if you put your mouse in the bottom right corner, there is a translucent box which you can use to look at your desktop. The only downside is it makes every box translucent, it should just see through your program to the one below, such as if you were in a game and got a message via Skype or AIM in my instance. I wouldn't really see a point for it unless you want to check your gadget such as the weather, or the currency (which by the way I love the gadgets, I'm currently using currency, and weather, I feel connected to the world, and it's fun to watch the US dollar rise and fall.)

Overall, the programs run alot smoother, and I would definitely get Windows 7 if you were working from home, or homeschooled. (I'm homeschooled, in this case, and I have noticed a great improvement with programs working together and smoother.)

My only downside right now is that iTunes doesn't have a 32-bit Windows 7 download to my knowledge. And everytime I start it I get a warning on how I need to re-install iTunes.

-------

Overall I give Windows a nine out of ten, they have definitely improved since Vista.

I would suggest getting Windows 7, it is a huge convenience to have, no it's not necessary, but it's definitely a convenience.

----

I'm still exploring Windows 7 for myself, but so far this is my opinion. I know I didn't go over everything, but I haven't even gone over everything myself.

I never really saw a big deal about operating systems or anything but I made the switch last week from XP to 7 and I REALLY like 7. Just seems totally intuitive, works super fast, looks great. My 'average computer person' verdict is AWESOME!

And I did confirm that all our .mts HD files opened with no problem in native WIN 7 WMP. Horray!

BTW, what is the difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions? This was the only confusing part of the whole process. There was ZERO help on which one I was supposed to install so I just went with the first disc in the package (32 bit) figuring that they would make the most common install "disc 1."

I hope that was the right one!

--Robb

So far I like for the most part.

A couple problems so far, minor, but annoying.

-touchpad isn't scrolling

-wants me to change my wireless radio signal from 802.11b to 802.11a to sync my xbox to windows media center

-function button (Fn on certain computers) is not working.

other than that it looks and runs wonderfully.

Windows Media Center is the bain of my life. Everytime I boot up my xbox and someone's on the computer it tries to connect. It's rather irritating.

I'm getting an all-in-one pc soon and I hope to upgrade before I transfer all my files accross.

• 1 month later...

Now that I have used Windows 7 for about a month I can honestly say that, while it's great to be able to view my HD .MTS files in WMP, I don't see that many differences or improvements over XP.

Pros:

- Viewing .MTS Files in WMP

- CS4 Handles HD files a bit better. (But that could also be due to an upgraded PC along with Windows 7)

- All my programs that worked in XP also work in Windows 7

- Um, that's about it.

Cons:

- I've had to re-learn functions that I already knew in XP, but are now different, but are not better. For example, navigating files on my computer or my start menu task bar. I'm finding it's taking me more steps to do the exact same thing I was doing before. It's change for the sake of change, not for the sake of improvement.

- My programs stop responding the same as in XP. I thought maybe programs would be more stable, but no. It's pretty much the same.

- It's really not that much better, it just looks different.

Now I never had a problem with XP, and really, I'm not having any more or less problems than I did with XP, but based on the commercials and other things I had seen/heard, my expectations would be that Windows 7 would be in improvement.

It's not, really.

I kind of feel it's just XP, but re-packaged and looks different.

Yes, there are things I like about it better, like the way it handles HD video, but aside from that, I haven't found anything about it's functionality that is a vast improvement over what I was using before.

My final review of it after using it for a month is that it's "fine" for what it is, but unless you have a reason to switch to Windows 7, I'd just stick with what you know and what works for you.

--Robb

I have been using it for a few months now... I did the $30 student "upgrade", even though I came from XP. Installed Windows 7 64bit Professional edition onto a new TB hardrive and love it SO much. Running 8GB ram so photoshop and games run very nicely... I much prefer it over XP which I was using for years.

Excellent OS!

• 3 weeks later...

So now that Windows 7 has been out for a couple of months, would you still say it's worth upgrading?

I can get the student discount (i.e. get it for $30), and I'm considering upgrading. I'm currently using Vista w/ SP2 on a Gateway laptop.

So while that's not a lot of info to go by, what do you think? Is it worth the time and money to upgrade and learn a new version of Windows? Or should I just save myself from the frustration?

Thanks for your input...I'm seeing mixed reviews here...

So now that Windows 7 has been out for a couple of months, would you still say it's worth upgrading?

Yes. However I don't think it's the end-all, be-all solution to some of the Windows XP/Vista problems people have been having.

It's a worthwhile improvement, yes, but not as significant as I was led to believe.

I like it, but don't have the urge to make sweet, sweet love to it.

--Robb

I never had any problems with Vista (I got it near the end of its run so most of the problems had already been corrected) but I upgraded to Windows 7 because I had heard it would run Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 faster. I've yet to have time to play the game, but overall it seems like this is a "simpler" Windows. I like how things such as libraries are easier to access. I've made alot of adjustments to the toolbar to make it more "XP/Vista-ish" because I didn't care for the larger "grouped tasks" deal they had. Other than that, I haven't had any major problems with 7.

• 1 month later...

I was at my uncle's house. While he was extolling the virtues of Windows 7, he got a BSOD on his Windows 7 machine. That was pretty funny. He had just installed a new display driver though. Buggy video drivers will crash any OS.

I upgraded my laptop from Vista to Windows 7 a few months back. My little HP laptop is massively improved. It was unusable out-of-the-box with Vista. It was probably a combination of all that HP default install trash and Vista, but it sucked.

I was never a fan of XP. I was always a Win2k fanboy because Win2k was an immense and unexpected improvement over NT4. Everyone thought 2000 was going to suck as much as NT4, but it did not. It was stable. XP always seemed less stable than 2000 to me.

Anyway, Vista sucked and XP is aging fast. Win7 is the only way to go, unless you've got the cash for a Mac.

I literally just installed Windows 7 last night and so far my thoughts are mixed. First off, I never had any major problems with Vista or XP, so I probably won't be braced for any impact I may or may not get with this new operating system. So far all of the programs work smoothly, but it's going to take a while for me toget used to the new format of things. The next few months will hopefully not be a problem as long as I get all of my old files (which mostly contains iTunes music and lots of my pictures from theme parks) situated here. Here's hoping...