TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Official Windows 7 Discussion

andyuk200523

With Windows 7 being officially released at Midnight tonight, I have myself been using it in one form or another for a few weeks, and thought to myself, I wonder what everyone else thinks of it?

My own personal opinion would be

I installed it on my Laptop and was really enjoying using it, very quick, worked with most of my applications, however, I then started to run more and more programs which is when I discovered problems.......

1) Office 2007 - The installation will not even run (might just be my version, but I never tried another one)

2) Adobe Photoshop CS3 will not install (Not a major issue as Corel Paint Shop Pro runs just great, but still annoying!)

Since these issues, I have restored my laptop back to Vista for the time being, I think I am going to wait for the 1st service pack to be released before I start using Win7 full time.

However, looks wise, I love the way the Taskbar along the bottom of the screen works, and I especially love the way it can "Split-Screen" 2 applications in one click.

On first look, it would seem that Microsoft have managed to do what they should have done with Vista (Made a good looking operating system that actually runs as smoothly as it looks) But upon closer inspection, there have been too many changes in the rear of the OS which once again will make basic users think they have to replace a lot of their other software which certainly isn't on, they should always make a new OS backwards compatible with at least the previous 2 systems of Windows to try and help out the end user, rather than make them spend even more money just to get a working system.

Your Thoughts?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My school is selling the Ultimate Edition to students for $7.50, so naturally I bought it.

I just haven't installed it on my PC yet since it's an old POS that I plan on replacing soon. I am going to make sure that I build a computer that can take advantage of it's features (especially the TV recording one).

My school is selling the Ultimate Edition to students for $7.50, so naturally I bought it.

I just haven't installed it on my PC yet since it's an old POS that I plan on replacing soon. I am going to make sure that I build a computer that can take advantage of it's features (especially the TV recording one).

Is that actually legal? Selling it to students?

I'm personally not upgrading to Vista or Seven. I'll stick to good ol' XP Pro thanks. Vista is pure eye-candy and Seven looks good too though.

I'm running 10.5/XP. I used the beta of w7, but for what I do in windows, XP is all I need. Though when games start needing DX10, I'll have to go to w7.

I'm not surprised CS3 isn't working right with w7, CS3 mac isn't supported on 10.6, Adobe really wants everyone to upgrade to CS4. For more photoshop pain, the windows version of CS4 doesn't have the GPU-features and the mac version doesn't have 64 bit support, "a good reason to buy CS5" Adobe is thinking...

Robb,

Haven't actually tried it myself (Still trying to get my head around understanding AVCHD files fully at the moment, not anywhere near editing skills!)

Looking around at various sources, there seems to be a mixed selection of results, whilst yes in theory WMP and WMM will natively support MTS files, there are lots of reports of choppy video playback, WMP locking up and no sound issues, also seen one or two reports of playing back in WMP but not opening in WMM, however my personal thoughts on this are people trying to open them on systems that cannot handle the file sizes and also people using the original BETA release of Win7, I know that if I try to play a Blu-Ray DIVX on this laptop, I will get choppy video, however on my uber powered desktop I don't have a problem at all (hence using it as a media server ).

Can't wait to see if you upgrade and start churning out TPR Blu-Rays soon

Hope this helps

One of my friends mom's bought Windows 7 Family Pack. And she is only using 2 of them, so she gave me the third and were getting them upgraded at Best Buy for $39 a piece, since she bought her laptop recently, she get's a discount.

I made a deal, if I mop her floors, dust her whole house, and give her a foot massage (I'm notorious for those where I'm from) then she will pay for it. And I get Windows 7 free. I'm more excited for dusting and mopping then I am for the program. I finally get to pay something off with my labor, I've always wanted a job, but can't get one (cuz' of my age.) And this will be the closest thing I've had yet. So I'm pretty excited.

Upgraded to 7, COLLEGE STUDENTS, IT'S WORTH THE THIRTY BUCKS.

Sorry for the caps lock, but it needs emphasis. If you're in college (or if your lucky enough to be at a school that gives it to you for free), its worth it. Everything runs smoother, programs don't crash, and a very slick interface too.

I changed over to Win 7 pro 64bit a week ago, after getting hold of the full version free of charge from the MSDNAA program at my University.

After getting more and more trouble with XP pro that I have been running for several years now, I finally decided to ditch the old workhorse due to this awesome deal...

And I absolutely love it

I've been using the various released versions of 7 since public beta... it has actually torn me away from Linux. And just last week I bought an HP Touchsmart... multi touch on Windows 7 is great. Touchscreen computers are going to start flying off the shelves not too long from now.