TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wooden Coaster Train Types, why parks chose what they use?

Forgive my ignorance about what the different types of wooden coaster trains are called.

After visiting Dollywood last week and riding Thunderhead I have a question as to why more parks don't use the type of trains used on that coaster? The only park I had ever been to that used those trains in the past was Hershey on Lightning Racers. I thought they were the smoothest and most comfortable wooden coaster trains I had ever been on and just thought "Well it must be just good tracking". Well after riding Thunderhead I am beginning to think it wasn't the track on Lightning Racer that made the ride so nice it was the train because Thunderhead even with it's amazing air time and sudden turns was still amazingly comfortable.

So if the type of train used on those 2 coasters is so comfortable why don't parks like Holiday World, Kings Island and all the others use them on their coasters. I can on imagine how much better a ride on Voyage (my #1 Woodie) or the Beast would be if they used the same trains as Thunderhead and Lightning Racer.

Is there something about the 2 seat trains that make it not an option on some or all 4 or 6 seat trains used on other wooden coasters?

This question would not be an issue if the 4 and 6 seat cars had not been switched over to the restraints systems they use today. The old simple bar that they used to have made them much more comfortable than they are today with current lap bar system that pins you in your seat, not giving you the freedom to move around when you hit sharp turns and airtime hills.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In short, those trains are proprietary to that company, Great Coasters International Inc., or GCI. They're called Millennium Flyers. GCI makes those trains, and only GCI coasters can use them.

The coasters at Holiday World are Custom Coasters Inc. and The Gravity Group. Those use Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters trains, or PTCs. Though The Gravity Group has come up with and tested some articulated trains similar to the Millennium Flyers.

It's the company, really.

So if the type of train used on those 2 coasters is so comfortable why don't parks like Holiday World, Kings Island and all the others use them on their coasters. I can on imagine how much better a ride on Voyage (my #1 Woodie) or the Beast would be if they used the same trains as Thunderhead and Lightning Racer.

The design of the rides are a lot different. The company that made Thunderhead (Great Coasters International) only puts them on rides they make, and they only make twister wooden coasters. So when it comes to making a big out & back /twister hybrid like Voyage, Holiday World was more comfortable going with Gravity Group and Philadelphia Tobbogan Company makes the trains for Gravity Group coasters. The GCI trains also are completely hand made and of the best materials making them very expensive hence why some GCI's havent been switched to the Millennium Flyer trains and still run PTCs.

In short, those trains are proprietary to that company, Great Coasters International Inc., or GCI. They're called Millennium Flyers. GCI makes those trains, and only GCI coasters can use them.

Not necessarily true. GCI announced that they would put MF's on any wooden coaster as long they could more than likely retrack the coaster and it didn't mess up the forces.

Our Millennium Flyer trains may be available for existing wooden roller coasters that meet Great Coasters' strict standards for track and structure condition, as well as acceptable dynamic profiles. We are available to assess these conditions and help you with any necessary improvements that may be required in order to make your coaster fly.

http://www.greatcoasters.com/?p=trains

What I don't understand is why parks keep buying those POS Gerstlauer trains...

Surely parks ride other coasters that utilize that type of train (and realize how much they suck) before buying a set for themselves?

Apparently, the Gerstlauer trains are much easier to maintain than the PTC trains. Not sure how the Millennium Flyers stack up in there, though. This is obviously something a lot of parks care about, especially smaller parks.

Not necessarily true. GCI announced that they would put MF's on any wooden coaster as long they could more than likely retrack the coaster and it didn't mess up the forces.

Our Millennium Flyer trains may be available for existing wooden roller coasters that meet Great Coasters' strict standards for track and structure condition, as well as acceptable dynamic profiles. We are available to assess these conditions and help you with any necessary improvements that may be required in order to make your coaster fly.

http://www.greatcoasters.com/?p=trains

Somewhat of an example, Wildcat at HP. It was already a GCI coaster but it used to have PTC trains. The change made a slight improvement in terms of ride ability. I usually ride it 3-4 times a visit now versus once in a couple visits with the old trains. The camera is still in a lame spot still.

Those older POS Gerstlauer's were brutal. Rides like Villain were insanely rough at times, until they did some retracking work of course. The Gerstlauer trains on Son of Beast (the ones that used to be at Myrtle Beach Pavilion) ran excellent in the morning. Although it seemed as the day progressed, the worse the ride got.

I have heard that some of the CCI coasters will get timber flyers when they are ready. It makes sense since most people from TGG are from CCI. I am hoping that the timber flyers will be used on ghostrider, cause that's what the guy said he hoped for on the season pass podcast.

Somewhat of an example, Wildcat at HP. It was already a GCI coaster but it used to have PTC trains. The change made a slight improvement in terms of ride ability. I usually ride it 3-4 times a visit now versus once in a couple visits with the old trains. The camera is still in a lame spot still.

I think Wildcat had a much needed re-tracking a couple of years ago that didn't help too much.

The MF trains are great trains.

I'd love to see a little TLC to SFA's Roar.

The second GCI coaster is becoming rougher each season.

It's getting to the point where I wouldn't ride it more than once a visit because its just too rough.

What I don't understand is why parks keep buying those POS Gerstlauer trains.

As a wise friend once told me, "thats what happens when business majors are making these descisions" [in reference to Texas Giant]

Well really up until the last decade or so PTC was the only company that made wooden trains (sure there were a few coaster here and there that used a different company, but those were few and far between). Now Intamin, GCI, and The Gravity Group all have their own train design so you see a bigger variety.

The reason parks bought Gerstlauer trains is simple. Back when CCI was in business they were a one stop shop for wooden coasters. A park would call them and CCI would design, construct, order all the parts (brakes, trains, q-gates, etc.) for the parks. Well they had a nasty habit of submitting really low bids for projects, which resulted in them falling behind on their payments to PTC. PTC then refused to do business with them, so CCI started selling Gerstlauer trains. Those parks that did buy PTC Trains (Lake Compounce, Indiana Beach, Cliff's) all bought their trains directly from PTC. In fact, when CCI went bankrupt Cliff's called PTC to find out when they were getting their train. One problem: CCI had never ordered it. That's why parks started buying Gerstlauer. Really, since CCI went out of business how many parks have bought them? Two? I believe Texas Giant will be the third to buy *new* Gerstlauer trains since CCI closed.

I think Wildcat had a much needed re-tracking a couple of years ago that didn't help too much.

The MF trains are great trains.

I'd love to see a little TLC to SFA's Roar.

The second GCI coaster is becoming rougher each season.

It's getting to the point where I wouldn't ride it more than once a visit because its just too rough.

From what I understand GCI refuses to sell SFA a set of MF trains because they outsource Roar's current PTC trains for off season maintenance,which is a really stupid excuse seeing as GCI built the coaster in the first place.