Jon

What is your roller coaster count?

What is your home park?

Michigan's Adventure

What is the nearest big city?

Grand Rapids

What is your occupation?

Web Manager

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)?

10-20, but then again I work at my home park

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park?

5-10

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites?

Combination of both

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park?Walt Disney World, approximately 20 hours away

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…)

Nope

Do you have any other major hobbies?

Writing, photography, webdesign

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason?

I spend the offseason working and studying

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? (Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?)

I've made friends with plenty of enthusiasts, and when I visit parks on my off-time, I hang out with them

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself?

No

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them?

Yes and yes

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts?

Yes

How do you get your coaster news?

TPR, NewsPlusNotes, Screamscape

How many different forum sites do you regularly post on?

None, really. I just lurk a lot

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel?

WOOD: El Toro, Balder, Voyage;

STEEL: Bizarro, Millennium Force, Expedition GeForce

Same scenario but for amusement parks, what would be the top 3?

Knoebel's, Holiday World, Kennywood

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster?

Not yet, haven't had to, though

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…)

Yes, usually out of the fast food budget

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go?

Nope, I like to just "experience" it as-is

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community?

Warm and accepting, as long as you're not a jerk about things

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts?

All the time

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name: Eric Bailey

What is your roller coaster count? 150(something)

What is your home park? So. Cal., so I have four!

What is the nearest big city? Los Angeles

What is your occupation? Bartender

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? weekly

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? Once (usually during the summer)

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? If the city it's near has other notable landmarks, yes.

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? Across the country for Ka and Toro. Ka wasn't running and I'm about 6'2'' so I barely fit in Toro.

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…) No. I'm the youngest of the family and don't have any kids of my own, nor do my older sisters, so there isn't much to distract me.

Do you have any other major hobbies? I write music and play basketball.

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason? I live in L.A. None of our parks close! Take that rest of the country!

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? (Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?) I actually met most of my friends now from when I worked at Knott's three years ago.

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? Kinda. I mean thrills are meant to be shared!

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? I once met up with someone, but not at the park. We planned it ahead of time.

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? Depends. I'm a park enthusiast. Some are coaster enthusiasts. Others are flats enthusiasts. It all depends on what the preference is and whether you can find a common ground.

How do you get your coaster news?In The Loop podcast, Theme Park Review, and a few people I still know that work at parks.

How many different forum sites do you regularly post on? Three, This (TPR) being the most frequent

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel? Wood:El Toro, Voyage, Beast. Steel: SROS, Nitro, Xcelerator

Same scenario but for amusement parks, what would be the top 3? Pick three Disney parks.

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? No. If a ride was designed for me to ride only as a "chaperone", chances are sitting on a bench would be more thrilling.

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…) No. My local parks are pretty cheap, and I usually start saving for my summer trips right after I get back from the previous one, so even if an "emergency" pops up I still usually am comfortable.

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go? Not really. I check into prices and what-have-yous, but for the most part I just go with the flow

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community? That-as all things in life, depends simply on who you ask. Some people like riding coasters, some like talking about them, and some like arguing about them. Just depends on who you run into.

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? In a sense. Everyone who knows me knows me as the "coaster guy". If people who know me have a question about a ride, they'll ask me, and I answer to the best of my knowledge, but for the most part I have friends who I talk coasters with, friends I talk music with, and friends I talk ball with.

Name: Ted Adams

What is your roller coaster count? 110

What is your home park? Holiday World

What is the nearest big city? Indianapolis

What is your occupation? Student / part time work

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? 5-10

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? 3-5

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? primarily amusement parks

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park?

1,158 miles. (18.5 hours) to texas for SFOT & SFFT. my friend has family there.

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…)

No.

not major

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason?

I usually just stay upbeat by thinking of how great the next season will be.

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? (Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?)

I've made a few friends through TPR that work at parks.

No it wouldn't. I usually have friends to go with though.

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? I've never gone completely by myself.

Yes, for the most part.

How do you get your coaster news? TPR, ACE, other websites

TPR is the only forum I still post on.

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel?

WOOD: Phoenix, El Toro, The Voyage

STEEL: BIZZARO, Eagle's Fortress, Expedition G*Force

BGE, Cedar Point, Islands of Adventure

No.

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…)

No.

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go?

Yes.

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community?

In between.

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? Yes.

Name: Matt

What is your home park?

Until January Six Flags Great Adventure. I'm moving to Orlando January 3rd!

Philadelphia

What is your occupation?

College Student & soon to be Disney Cast Member

At least 30 times

At least 20

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites?

For the most part just amusement parks

California

Nope

I'm a huge Yankees/baseball fan & I watch a lot of games.

Yes this year I will NOT have an offseason

Yes I worked at a small local park called Clementon Park & I met great people there

Nope I do it all the time however I prefer a friend

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them?

Yes twice at my home park this year

Yes

Theme Park Review & Screamscape

Steel: Millennium Force, X2, Expedition GeForce Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Phoenix

Islands of Adventure, Busch Gardens Europe, Cedar Point

Yes!

No I basically spend my money on two things, my car & theme parks

Yes

Warm & accepting

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts?

Yes however it annoys them

I hope this helps!

Name: Robert S

What is your roller coaster count? 227

What is your home park? keansburg Amusement Park

What is the nearest big city? New York/Newark

What is your occupation? College Student

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? 20

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? 16

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? primarily parks

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? MN, 1,200 miles

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…)Nope

Do you have any other major hobbies? Snowboarding (riding) Going to hockey games

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason? Nope, Yup, YES! Offseason from coasters you mean? Once "offseason " starts, Hockey season starts!

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? (Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?) No

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? Nope, do it all the time.

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? Yes, Yes

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? Usually yeah.

How do you get your coaster news? TPR/Screamscape/ friends

How many different forum sites do you regularly post on? Just TPR and i barely post here.

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel? Depends on how the poll is formed... but i guess SROS (SFNE), Expedition GeForce, Nemesis

Wood: El Toro, Balder, Boulder Dash

(Note: I am not a big fan of any of these, but Boulder Dash)

Cedar Point, Europa Park, Fuji Q

Yes, 3 times.

Not anymore, used to, Now I cut trips to parks for trips to different hockey arenas.

Minimally. And best days to go? The best days are the same for EVERY park.

Depends. I see two different communities, TPR and.. ACE. And generally accepting, but ACE feels more discouraging.

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? No, It usually ends up with someone trying to describe Dueling Dragons to me just because I said I've never been to IOA.

Name: Alex

What is your roller coaster count? 56

What is your home park? Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, Knotts....and Universal...

What is the nearest big city? I'm in it. Los Angeles/1

What is your occupation? Student.

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? Ehhhh 6-8

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? Once or Twice, just SFDK when I'm in Nor Cal for relatives

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? Other sites, usually to just where family is

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? The distance from LA to Orlando

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…) No, that would be stupid

Do you have any other major hobbies? Running!

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason? No off season!

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? (Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?) No.

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? Yes, I went to SFMM for a couple hours cause I had to kill time while my family was off doing stuff in Santa Clarita...bit mistake.

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them?Yes, I have hung out with enthusiasts at parks before, once was when I ran into him, but we were expecting to meet.

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? Eh, some are odd (moreso than me!)

How do you get your coaster news? TPR!

How many different forum sites do you regularly post on? 2

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel? Wood: Voyage, El Toro, T Express Steel: Bizzaro, Expedition Ge Force, and Millennium Force

Same scenario but for amusement parks, what would be the top 3? Disneysea + other Disney parks, Cedar Point, Knoebels

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? No. I'm not that shameless.

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…) Well I dont quite do trips or have an income, so no.

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go? Not really, I usually go to a new park if it's near where I'm vacationing.

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community? Little bit of both

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? Yes, just last week I saved my friend's family from going on a Disney World trip as they wanted to go to Harry Potter land (Though I personally would still rather go to WDW ).

Name:Alex

What is your home park?

Six Flags St Louis

St Louis

What is your occupation?

Student/Bowling Alley Employee

About 8-9

At least 1, Silver Dollar City

Usually I don't hit up amusement parks on trips because I don't have time

Either Louisville or Chicago

No

Football, Wrestling, Baseball, Friends

I hate the offseason, the weather, the closed down places where I like to go, my world revolves around school, etc.

If I get to know them well yeah

In some ways yes, others no.

No and no

Yes

Screamscape, TPR, and Coaster Crazy.

Wood: El Toro, Viper, Ghostrider

Steel: Maverick, Expedition Ge Force, what WAS Superman: Ride of Steel

Cedar Point, Knoebels, Island of Adventure

No, that's just crazy desperate!

No, but we're trying to save up for Cedar Point though.

Just what my top priorities to must ride and navigation.

In between

Yeah right.

Name: Howard Parks

What is your roller coaster count? About 55

What is your home park? Michigan's Adventure

What is the nearest big city? Detroit and/or Chicago

What is your occupation? Custodian/Musician

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? 1-3 times on average, however in 2007 I visited six, including my home park!

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? Every so often.

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? Sometimes

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? With my family, Florida to go to Disney, Universal, Busch, etc.; on my own, Six Flags Great America

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…) One, I don't have children, and two, I don't usually miss any family functions.

Do you have any other major hobbies? Making and writing music, traveling (besides theme parks), biking (haven't done it in a while, need to get back into it), cooking.

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason? a)I don't think about the off season b)We do have an off season (I'm in Michigan!)

c)Not too often unless we go to Florida.

I never really made friends but rode with very cool people on rides before!

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? Not really. In fact I like going by myself because you can ride rides that you normally wouldn't get to if you were with someone, although it's always fun to go with someone.

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? I've been to Michigan's Adventure, Six Flags Great America, and Indiana Beach by myself. And I really haven't hung out with another enthusiast, but not opposed to it.

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? Haven't yet. I'll get back once I join up with a future TPR trip.

How do you get your coaster news? ACE Online, here on TPR, from the major sites for various parks, Wikipedia.

How many different forum sites do you regularly post on? Lost count.

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel? Can't answer for everyone else but for me it's as follows:

WOOD

Shivering Timbers

Cornball Express

Blue Streak (Cedar Point)

STEEL

Maverick

Raging Bull

Montu

Michigan's Adventure (for obvious reasons)

Cedar Point

Walt Disney World (I know it's four parks, but as a whole)

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? I'm not that desperate!

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…) I usually eat BEFORE and AFTER going to a park, like Six Flags.

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go? All of the above!

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community? It can be all of that in different situations especially one community in particular that will remain nameless! Theme Park Critic!

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? Absolutely!

Name: Ted Cromwell

What is your roller coaster count? 418

What is your home park? Kennywood

What is the nearest big city? Pittsburgh

What is your occupation? Programmer for Mega-Huge Law Firm

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? 1 (Pathetic isn't it)

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? 20+

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? Mostly Parks, but always game for some beer

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? Somewhere in England

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…) Roller Coasters are a hobby. I try not to miss anything important.

Do you have any other major hobbies? Golf. Damn game is almost as expensive as coasters!

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason? No offseason. That is what airplanes are for.

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? (Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?) Plenty of park employee and coaster enthusiast friends. Many have made their way over to my mainstream life.

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? Nope. Done it plenty.

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? Typically if I am going to hang with someone at a park, we already planned on meeting there. Not into random strangers.

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? Sometimes. As long as there is a good balance to the conversations. I just can't talk about rides, rides, rides. Well ... sometimes I can, but not usually.

How do you get your coaster news? Straight from the tap.

How many different forum sites do you regularly post on? 2 or 3

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel? Wood: Voyage, Beast, El Toro. Steel: MForce, Diamondback, Goliath. Reason ... the more people you include in the poll, the less exotic the results will be.

Same scenario but for amusement parks, what would be the top 3? Cedar Point, Cedar Point, Cedar Point. Reason .... they will find a way

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? Only once, but it was a good friends niece. I guess that makes it ok.

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…) Fast food and Entertainment, yes. Everything else, no.

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go? Typically, but after awhile it just kind of comes naturally.

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community? Socially accepting, but mostly negative.

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? Not unless I don't like them.

Name: Steve Burant

What is your roller coaster count? 195

What is your home park? Kings Dominion

What is the nearest big city? Birmingham

What is your occupation? amusement park supervisor

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? 20-25

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? 15-20

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? depends on the place, but I like to see other sites as well

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? ~800 miles

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…) not usually, it's just in my free time that I go

Do you have any other major hobbies? Guitar Hero, used to play football

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason? the offseason isn't that bad for me, and I occasionally try to make it to a park that's open year round during the winter

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? (Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?) there's a couple that comes and rides Rampage at AA all the time and I'm on a first name basis with them, very nice people....also had a great time conversing with Robb and the other TPR members when they came in July

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? nope, I've done it often

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? gone by myself plenty of times, but never tagged along with a random enthusiast

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? having common interests always makes it easy to make friends with someone

How do you get your coaster news? TPR, screamscape, etc.

How many different forum sites do you regularly post on? let's see, 3 amusement park sites, 2 Gator football sites

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel? wood: Voyage, El Toro, Thunderhead steel: Millennium Force, Bizzaro, Nitro

Same scenario but for amusement parks, what would be the top 3? BGE, CP, HW

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? only time I have was with my little cousin to get Jr. Gemini this past summer, otherwise I don't believe in it

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…) going to parks naturally takes money out of your budget, so yes

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go? I like to find deals on tickets if I can, and I'll look at the park map prior to going so I can map out the best course of action while there, and I typically try to go on weekdays no matter what

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community? just like any community, it can be both; I think there's certainly a snobbish factor to coaster enthusiasts, but for the most part, I think we're accepting to people who are new to the community

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? if they are interested or act interested, I like to talk parks or coasters with non-enthusiasts, but it's very difficult to talk specifics like manufacturers, ride types, etc. with someone who doesn't know anything about it

Name: Curt Hinson

What is your roller coaster count? 60

What is your home park? Dixie Landin'

What is the nearest big city? Baton Rouge, LA

What is your occupation? Financial Service Representative

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? 7-10

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? 2-4

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? mainly amusement parks

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? 2000+ miles

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…) actually family time is involved with coaster time

Do you have any other major hobbies? Motorcycles and sports cars

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? YES! Do you even have an offseason? My offseason starts with my last trip to a Six Flags in October. Do you travel during the offseason? If I travel during the off season, it's to a park that is open during that time

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? I have no friends that work at an amusement park(Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?) I have a few friends into coasters but not as serious as I am about it

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? at this point...no.

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? I have If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? My answer would be no

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? I'm sure it would be if there were any around where I live..(I live in the woods)

How do you get your coaster news? Theme Park Review.com, and other various sources such as coaster buzz.com

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? I'm not sure And for steel? same

Same scenario but for amusement parks, what would be the top 3? Cedar Point, Kings Island, Six Flags Magic Mountain

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? haha. NO

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…) I do

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go? I certainly do!

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community? I would say warm and accepting

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? Of course I do, some do not understand it, but I don't care.

Name: Brent Shenton

What is your roller coaster count? Somewhere around 80

What is your home park? Disneyland

What is the nearest big city? Los Angeles, CA

What is your occupation? Student

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? 15+

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? 15+

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? I try and hit other sites

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? Orlando

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…) Not at all

Do you have any other major hobbies? Haunted attractions

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Nope

Do you even have an offseason? I do not

Do you travel during the offseason? Not to parks outside of Socal

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? Yes I do

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? Nope I do it all the time

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? Quite often

If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? I've ran into friends yes

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? Some yes, others no

How do you get your coaster news? This here website

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? Balder, El Toro, T-Express (my dream coasters)

And for steel? Expedition G-Force, Superman Ride of Steel, ?

Same scenario but for amusement parks, what would be the top 3? Tokyo Disneysea, EPCOT, Everland

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? Maybe...

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…) Sometimes

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go? Of course I do

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community? Warm and accepting MOST DEFENITELY

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? Sometimes, but sometimes it annoys the crap out of people

---Brent

Name: Rob

What is your roller coaster count? 96

What is your home park? Six Flags Over Georgia

What is the nearest big city? Atlanta

What is your occupation? Unemployed at the moment

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? 25-30

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? 4-5

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? Mostly parks but some others as well

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? Opposite side of the country

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…) No

Do you have any other major hobbies? Music fanatic...collect music/horror movies

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason? 1. Yes 2. Yes 3. Not usually

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? (Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?) Yes

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? No

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? Yes and Yes

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? Sometimes

How do you get your coaster news? TPR

How many different forum sites do you regularly post on? Just here

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel? Wood: 1. El Toro 2. Voyage 3. T Express Steel: 1. Millennium Force 2. S:ROS (SFNE) 3. TTD

Same scenario but for amusement parks, what would be the top 3? Cedar Point, Busch Gardens, SFGrAdv

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? No, but I would as long as I didnt look like chester the molester

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…) Sometimes

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go? Sometimes

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community? Accepting

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? Yeah, if they are interested.

Name

Gavin Seipelt

I don't believe in 'credits'.

What is your home park?

Warner Bros. Movie World Australia (Though the other Gold Coast region parks are my home ones)

Brisbane

What is your occupation?

Architecture Student / Retail

20?

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? One big overseas trip per year roughly.

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? Definitley other sites too. When I travel theme parks take up about 1/3 to 1/2 of my time at most.

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? To the UK, but it was part of a whole trip.

No

Yes

Parks are open all year here.

Yes

Yes

No

Yes

Theme park sites.

TPR, Coasterforce, Parkz

Wood:

-El Toro

-Voyage

-Balder

Steel:

Bizzarro

Millenium Force

X

Islands of Adventure

Disneyland

Cedar Point

No!

I tend not to waste money to begin with, so I can afford to do the trips.

Yes, because visiting theme parks other than my home ones means a big outlay of money and long haul flights, so I want to get the most out of it I can.

I think the community as a whole is pretty welcoming, but I think there can sometimes be a bit too much 'back slapping' amongst the 'old hands' in some cases, which can make things awkward for newcomers.

I comes up from time to time, but I won't go starting a conversation on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Robby

What is your roller coaster count? 122

What is your home park? Six Flags Great America

What is the nearest big city? Chicago

What is your occupation? Student

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? well I've only recently became an enthusiast, but in 2009 I've been to 17 different parks, and some multiple times

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? I guess about 12 times

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? Its all about the parks

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? Well, we flew to Los Angeles, from Chicago and Drove to Dallas Texas

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…) Not usually

Do you have any other major hobbies? Yes, Im a runner

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason? Yes, Yes, and most definetly!

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? (Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?) Yep

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? Nope, I have on a few different occasions

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? Yeah, and no

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? Yeah we have the same interests so its not difficult

How do you get your coaster news? Screamscape or TPR

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel? Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Boulder dash & Steel: Bizarro, Millennium Force, Expedition Geforce

Same scenario but for amusement parks, what would be the top 3? Cedar Point, Epcot, Holiday World

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? OF COURSE!

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…) well my parents still pay for it, but when im older I sure will!

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go? Always

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community? Warm and Welcoming

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? I try, but they get bored easily

Name: Tom Hurst

What is your roller coaster count? 107

What is your home park? Worlds of Fun

What is the nearest big city? Topeka or Kansas City, depends on definition of big city

What is your occupation? Meat Dept employee and host at restaurant

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? 15-20

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? 5-10

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? Other sites

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? While living in California, Ohio

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…) No, normally it is one in the same

Do you have any other major hobbies? Music, movies, sports

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason? 1. Somewhat 2. Yes 3. No

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? (Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?) Yes

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? No

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? Yes

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? Yes

How do you get your coaster news? Screamscape, RCPro, TPR, Amusement Insider, Coasterforce

How many different forum sites do you regularly post on? 3-4

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel? Wood: Voyage, El Toro, Boulder Dash Steel: Millennium Force, Diamondback, Bizarro (SFNE)

Same scenario but for amusement parks, what would be the top 3? Cedar Point, Holiday World, Six Flags Magic Mountain

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? No

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…) Yes

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go? Always

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community? A mixture, normally warm and accepting, but certain percentage is negative

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? Yes, unless I can tell they are getting annoyed, then I stop

Name: Rob Vaccaro

What is your roller coaster count? 573

What is your home park? Six Flags Great Adventure

What is the nearest big city? Philadelphia

What is your occupation? Purchasing Agent

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? 25-60 (depends on the year/work/weather/time off accrued/etc)

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? 15-40

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? I try to hit unique restaurants, clubs/bars, etc.

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? The United Kingdom

No!

Photography, Nightclub promotions, Restaurants, Sky diving, extreme sports.

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason? No. Yes, but I take trips to Florida. Yes, to Florida.

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? (Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?) Yes I do.

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? Not at all.

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? Yes and Yes.

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? Not usually.

How do you get your coaster news? Coaster websites.

How many different forum sites do you regularly post on? 3

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel? Voyage, El Toro, Boulder Dash. Bizzaro, Goliath @ SFOG or Behemoth @ KI.

Same scenario but for amusement parks, what would be the top 3? Kennywood, Knoebels, Cedar Point.

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? Nope.

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…) Nope, I do what I can.

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go? Yes.

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community? Both, actually.

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? Not really.

Name: Nate Hill

What is your roller coaster count? 30

What is your home park? The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom

What is the nearest big city? I guess you'd say Montreal

What is your occupation? SUNY Plattsburgh Student & Computing and Media Services Helpdesk Technician

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? Seeing as I work there, 100+

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? The question is IF, not how many but I'd like to change that

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? Sure

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park?It's the only reason I convinced my family to go to Orlando for vacation

Nope

Do you have any other major hobbies?Computers, Learning

I watch POV's to compensate for the offseason.....and do unspeakable things (jk)

Friends? No, but I have another enthusiast on Facebook (besides Robb)

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? Not at all

Besides work, haven't gone to any parks alone.

Have only ever met one enthusiast in person other than myself...but that will change come June 18th!

How do you get your coaster news? Why TPR, of course!

How many different forum sites do you regularly post on? Eh, I was discouraged by my employer from posting to sites for my park, and they are somewhat dead anyways. So that would be a no

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood?1. El Toro

2. Balder

3. Comet (The Great Escape)...(Hey, some people put it in their best!) And for steel? 1. Bizarro(SFNE)

2. Goliath (SFOG)

3. Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park)

I think everyone likes different parks for different reasons, be it nostalgia, coasters, family environment....not a valid variable to compare.

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? No, but came close with pterydon flyers (sp?) at IOA

I will be, to save up for the upcoming UK Trip!

Not doing so would be quite stupid IMO

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community?I think the community as a whole is warm and accepting, although fanboys on other sites are not, to say the least

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiastsOnly if someone states an incorrect fact or statement about a coaster or the industry as a whole, and I can't help but correct and inform them (WOW, that sounded waaay too official and geeky!)[/b]

Name: Joseph Frombaugh

What is your home park?

-Kemah Boardwalk or SFFT

-Austin

What is your occupation?

-Student

-Depends on how much money I’m able to save that year and how big the trips I do are - my home parks are pretty standard IMO and I only go to them once a year at most

-Also depends on money

-Would go primarily to parks if I was in charge, but the people I’m with usually want to sightsee as well, and there are some sightseeing trips I’d like to make

-Ohio

-No

-Yes: World of Warcraft and other video games, collecting action figures and other various things, boating, cycling

-Sometimes I do, not old enough to travel by myself quite yet

-No

-Not at all, in fact I’m often a sad and pathetic single rider on many coasters even if I’m visiting the park with others

-Yes. I haven’t run into any other enthusiasts to tag along with, but I’ve found some people in queues that were nice to talk to.

-Tough to say, I can have quite a strong sociable streak when I'm with people I feel at ease with and who share a common interest (like coasters!) but that doesn't mean I'm outgoing by nature - often I am very shy and it takes me awhile to warm up to new people. I reckon the IntimidaTour (my first TPR Trip!) is gonna be very interesting...

-Internet

-Mostly just this one!

-Wood: Voyage, El Toro, Thunderhead

-Steel: S:RoS/Bizarro, Millenium Force, X2

-Cedar Point, Holiday World, SFGAdv

-No, and I don’t even usually ride kiddie coasters unless I’m with someone else that wants to

-Yes, but it’s often kinda spur-of-the-moment, and I'm a big spender

-No, I usually only care about the coasters and park operations

-Kinda both in many regards, depends on who you meet

-Absolutely

Name:

Peter Löfstrand

What is your home park?

Liseberg

Gothenburg

What is your occupation?

Student

5-20+ Depends on if I have a "big" trip planned or not.

1-5+ depending on trips that year.

Yes, but if I spot anything interesting while planning the trip then I might pop by it...

What is the farthest you’ve travelled to go to an amusement park?

That would be Tokyo Japan

Not at the moment... (I might miss a few birthdays if I have a big trip in the works).

Not really...

Yes, most of the parks close down for the colder part of the year (so I usually have about half a year without visiting any parks), well my University have taken most of the time so not at the moment.

Yes there are a few at Liseberg that I talk/says hi to while I'm there

No.

Sure I have done so a couple of times, not yet

Yes.

Through, Screamscape, Trips'n'Pics, CF, TPR, etc...

2-4 depending on what it's about, social/coaster games or news...

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favourite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel?

1. El Toro

2. Balder

3. T-Express

1. Bizarro(SFNE)

2. Goliath (SFOG)

Liseberg, Cedar Point, Disney World

Nope, I haven't gone to north America yet

No.

Navigate, yes. Saving some cash, yes. And I try to avoid public holidays etc...

Usually yes, but some parts of it might be a bit harsh...

If they are interested in it (the usual way the discussion starts ) yes, else no.

Name: Joseph Hinds

What is your home park?

Canada's Wonderland

Toronto

What is your occupation?

Clothing Retail

25+ depending on the year

Once a year

Just the Parks

Florida

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time?

Nope, Usually it is a family event!

Drawing, Skiing

Do you get feelings of sadness in the off-season? Do you even have an off-season? Do you travel during the off-season?

I do not get sad, but miss the parks, I have an off-season but I do not travel during it.

Yes, I have made friends while visiting the park.

NOT AT ALL! BRING ON THE SINGLE RIDER LINES!

Yes I have gone to an amusement park by myself, but have never tagged along with an enthusiast.

Yes, So much in common how could it be hard!

TPR

TPR, CWMania

El Toro, Voyage, T-Express

Bizzaro (SFNE), Expedition G-Force, Millennium Force

Cedar Point, Holiday World, Six Flags New Jersey

Nope!

Nope!

Yes! This is a must for me! I always try to find out which time of the year the park is least busy and always map out a roue to follow to get all credits!

I feel that it is very warm community and that they are a very fun group of people!

NO. This usually ends up resulting in an altercation of some sort.

Name: Erik Elness

What is your roller coaster count? 188

What is your home park? Dollywood

What is the nearest big city? Knoxville

What is your occupation? Guest Service (Resort Hotel Night Manager)

About how many times a year do you visit a park (including your home park)? Obviously an estimate, but I'm going to say: 40.

About how many times a year do you travel to a park that is not your home park? 3 or 4 trips, maybe 8 parks or so.

When you travel do you go primarily to amusement parks or do you also try and hit other sites? I always try to do other touristy/cultural stuff if I can.

What is the farthest you’ve traveled to go to an amusement park? Tricky, because some of the farthest ones I've traveled to, I've had other motives for going to that area, as well (such as family or friends in that I wanted to visit). Just purely for amusement parks, about 1100 miles (Orlando to Sandusky).

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your children’s or family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…) No, it doesn't interfere. But then, I don't have any children.

Do you have any other major hobbies? I have some others, but this is the biggest.

Do you get feelings of sadness in the offseason? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the offseason? I've traditionally lived in places with no off-season. Where I live now, the off-season is fairly short. So no, no sadness.

Do you consider yourself friends with someone you met who works at an amusement park? (Or reverse it, if you work or worked and an amusement park have you made friends with enthusiasts?) If I'm understanding the question correctly, no. (But if I'm not, then yes. )

Would it bother you to go to an amusement park by yourself? No. It has some advantages.

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever ran into another enthusiast and tagged along with them? Gone by myself many times. I have met other enthusiasts a few times and hung out--but only when I was already there with some other folks. (Luck of the draw, I guess.)

Do you find it easy to make friends with other enthusiasts? No. I tend to be a bit shy with new people. And the more easily recognizable people are as coaster enthusiasts, the nuttier they tend to be. (Yeah, I know, I'm being a jerk. But as a general rule, if you see someone wearing Cedar Point eyeglass straps, run the other way.)

How do you get your coaster news? Theme Park Review and/or Screamscape.

How many different forum sites do you regularly post on? Just Theme Park Review, at the moment.

If there was a poll that asked a large pool of enthusiasts what their favorite roller coaster is, what do you think would be the top 3 responses be for wood? And for steel? The larger the group, the less well-traveled (probably). But still enthusiasts. So: The Voyage, El Toro, Terminator Salvation / Bizarro (SFNE), Millennium Force, Kumba.

Same scenario but for amusement parks, what would be the top 3? Cedar Point, Knoebels, Islands of Adventure.

Have you ever “stole a kid” to get a credit on a kiddie coaster? No. Kiddie "credits" are not that important to me.

Do you cut other categories out of your budget to make trips to parks? (Entertainment, fast food, holidays, tobacco or alcohol, etc…) Not usually. It's the parks that tend to suffer the most from budgeting conflicts.

Before you visit a new park do you research the park finding the best way to navigate the park, get the best deals, or what days to go? A bit. But I've been around the block enough times that I can usually wing that stuff. I do certainly try to go on less busy days, but it's usually pretty obvious what days those will be.

Do you feel the roller coaster enthusiast community is a warm and accepting community, or a negative and discouraging community? A bit of both, as I imagine all communities are. Every group has its cliques, but I've never seen an enthusiast shunned because they were gay or black or something. Bad behavior or general obnoxiousness will get you ditched pretty quickly, though.

Do you like to talk about your hobby with people who are not roller coaster enthusiasts? Yes...but only so much as I listen to stories about their cats and children.

Name:

Rick Thomas

What is your home park?

Six Flags St. Louis

St. Louis

What is your occupation?

Web site design

13+

usually just go for amusement parks

What is the farthest you’vefever traveled to go to an amusement park?

5 hour drive

Does roller coaster time get in the way of family time? (Do you choose to miss your childrens or a family’s sporting events, holidays, birthdays, etc…)

Rollercoasters are a hobby, but they don't run the life. I ride the coasters when I am done with everything else

nope

Do you get feelings of sadness in the off season? Do you even have an offseason? Do you travel during the off season?

No just anticipate the coming season, and usually watch coaster videos, play the games and it keeps me amused

yes I do have a friend that works at a park

No not at all, do it all the time

Have you gone to an amusement park by yourself? If so have you ever yes and yes I have tagged along

No

Themeparkreview.com

2 different sites

El Toro

Terminator

Boardwalk Bullet

X2

Kingda ka

Millennium Force

Universal Orlando

Cedar Point

Magic Mountain

Not yet

no

Yes, definitely. I try to get the most out of it.

I feel it needs a little work, everyone seems to get into a click within the community.

Definitely.

Name:

Marcus Löfstrand

What is your home park?

Liseberg

Gothenburg

What is your occupation?

Production technician (electronics)

6-15+ depends on what trips I do for the year

1-5+ depends on what trips I do for the year

If i see something interesting or to find a geocache

Tokyo, Japan

Not yet........

Electronics and geocaching

Yes, but that inspires to earn money and plan for trips next season

Yes, @ Liseberg there is workers that I talk/says hi to

No

Yes/Not yet

Yes

My brother, TPR, CF & ECC

~2

wood:

1. El Toro

2. Balder

3. T-Express

steel:

1. Bizarro(SFNE)

2. Goliath (SFOG)

Cedar Point, Liseberg, Disney World

Nope, I can borrow my nephew

No

Usually

For the most of the time

Some times, if they are interested otherwise no