TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Extreme Coaster Weather

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^Oh Craig, that reminds me...we also had a dreaded 'hail' ride on The Big One as well. (And the Alice in Wonderland ride as well!)

You can see the hail hitting Tom in this picture!

I love how the motion blur on the hail is going up.

My worst weather while riding a coaster would probably be riding things in extreme heat, which isn't all that bad. Riding MF at night and getting hit by bugs was worse, but not really a weather condition. Those little bastards sting when you're going 90.

It's funny to me some of the weather conditions people have visited parks in and still been open. We tried visiting Kings Island tonight and had plans, and passes bought, etc... and when we got to Colombus we get a call to hear that "Kings Island is closed"

I know this is a little off topic... but a lot of parks stay open for rain, even rides, and yet the ENTIRE park closed. I mean if you decide to even close the park days in advance thats dissapointing considering people travel to it, and its going to be closed. But when you hear from someone else that park is completely closed when you're heading there due to bad weather... wow.

Talk about extreme weather conditions.

I'd say riding any of the rides at SFDK in 112 heat, or even simply navigating the park in that temp was pretty epic. Especially with the signature water ride (Rapids) being down all day.

Also, same park, we decided to go on a rainy day as we did have passes for there, wouldn't be much of a loss if they closed early. We *just* missed a crazy downpour on Medusa, were next in line. The ride had broken down just after that cloud passed for about 10 mins and it was back and running again. A bit later, we decide to go on Roar while the rest of the family takes shelter in the nearby mini arcades next to the coaster. As we crest the lift, rain begins to just downpour. I attempted to pull the hood over the head only to have it fly back, and was pelted by heavy rain at 50mph. Hurt, but it was an amazing ride beginning to end. At one point, I thought it was hailing as it stung. So we go to do it again...lol

That day the park finally closed as crowds were diminishing and rides kept breaking down. All in all, with only doing 3 rides, one being marthoned in pouring rain, that day was pretty well worth it. We left completely soaked, and freezing cold. So epic...

I have been to parks in dreadful weather, but my strangest and most painful experience was last year in europapark. Blue skies the whole day but when we decided to ride Silver Star it began to rain. The queuing line is inside a building in wich you can't see outside. When the coaster rolled out of the station we could feel the rain. We were already drenched when we got to the top off the lifthill. For some reason there was a lot of water coming down and that was the beginning of the most painful ride on a steel roller coaster. (wood would be Bandit, Movie Park Germany, its very painful in any weather) Rain hurts when your going 125 km/h (78 mph), when we got out the rain was almost over and the rest of the day the skies where blue again.

In either 2008, I was going to go to Great America on a day when it was supposed to rain. The forecast wasn't bad, and I figured the park would be dead. As I'm turning into the road that leads to the parking lot, it begins to pour, and the person at the parking lot booth says the park is going to close for the day.

In 2008, I was in Gurnee, and I decide to make a quick stop at Great America. Immediately after I get to home town square, a huge gust of wind comes, and it begins to storm.

Other than that, I haven't been to a park in extreme weather. I've been to parks when it has been very hot and humid, and I've been to parks when it has been cold and rainy. Riding coasters in the cold isn't that bad, but riding them when it is humid is. The worst this year was when I visited Indiana Beach and Michigan's Adventure when it was in the 90s.

The skies opened up as we were going up the lift on Mean Streak and it started pelting rain. I swear not only did MS fly through the course, but it was actually smooth as butter. I bought the on-ride photo due to the fact that everyone visible on the train had big goofy smiles rather then the shaken baby face that most people usually have while riding. I'll dig it out and post the pic later.

I remember in about 1999 riding Oblivion, going up the Lift it started to Hail, coming out of the Tunnel with Hail driving down into you was NOT FUN!!!!! I'd say you are doing about 50mph when coming out of the tunnel, and Hail seems to drop at a rough rate of about 40mph, you do the math!!

In 2006, I was single-riding the front of Dragster when it started downpouring literally about 2 seconds after the launch. I don't wish to be sprayed in the face with shrapnel at any time in my life, but I'd imagine my ride was much akin to it, albeit in liquified form. Shut down the ride right after (and no, they didn't reopen for a full hour after the storm passed), and saw a rainbow right over the peninsula riding Power Tower about a half-hour later. Conclusion: Lake Erie weather can suck and rock simultaneously.

A year later I distinctly recall riding Gemini in sleet on a Halloweekends Sunday as well.