TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official TPR 2010 Trips Thread

That was great!

Have you considered a podcast or perhaps a live chat with just general tpr / coaster questions (or maybe a interview with Intamin )?

Well, that's kind of why we were asking what everyone thought of that.

Of course we've considered it, but feedback about something like that would be pretty helpful!

--Robb

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm finally listening to it, and as much as I want to go to bed, I just can't. I feel the need to listen to the rest of it!!!

Robb, I'm sorry that I like history and its "boring". I lost it after hearing your comments. Thanks for answering my question Elissa. I didn't think we would go as a group, but I'm sure (or hoping) that there are a few other people out there that would want to go before or after the trip (because I'm secretly a nerd, and coincidentally I wear librarian glasses now).

Of course we've considered it, but feedback about something like that would be pretty helpful!

--Robb

Is there anyway to be able to skip through the chat without having to listen to the whole thing again? I listened to about 30 minutes of it, and then today I tried to click to a certain time frame and it would not let me.

--Robb

Is there anyway to be able to skip through the chat without having to listen to the whole thing again? I listened to about 30 minutes of it, and then today I tried to click to a certain time frame and it would not let me.

The streaming version will always stream, sorry. Just download the file and play it on your computer or iPod.

--Robb

--Robb

The streaming version will always stream, sorry. Just download the file and play it on your computer or iPod.

--Robb

OK, thanks. I personally think that its easier to listen in on an iPod than sitting on the computer anyways.

As of right now I have 2 options with Intimator trip since i'm #8 out of 14, which to me is a very slim chance of going:

1 Keep sending in money to Elissa and if dent get in I could use the money for a trip just traveling by myself, or keep it in there for a 2011 trip and hopefully I wont be lotteried out for a second time.

2 drop out completely

^Don't drop out completely! TPR trips are something that MUST be experienced to understand their awesomeness. I remember before my first trip I wondered if I'd end up doing another one the year after. A few days in, I knew that doing another trip was a requirement. And now, I'm getting ready for my third. Don't lose hope!

^^ Yeah, if you can afford even just a little every month, you might make it on to a 2010 trip, but if you don't you'll have loads of a 2011 trip paid off by next year. If you like theme parks, coasters and people who love having a good time, you need to go on a TPR trip!! I don't think I'm the only person who says that I'm addicted to the trips.

Dave "don't drop out!" Wilson

I'll second what Dave said; Don't Drop Out! I've done a trip every year since 2006 and have not regretted any of them. If I could afford more I would do all of them! These really are the best trips on the planet for coaster/themepark enthusiasts.

John "Waiting for that lottery ticket to hit" Vasquez

As of right now I have 2 options with Intimator trip since i'm #8 out of 14, which to me is a very slim chance of going:

1 Keep sending in money to Elissa and if dent get in I could use the money for a trip just traveling by myself, or keep it in there for a 2011 trip and hopefully I wont be lotteried out for a second time.

2 drop out completely

As Robb and Elissa said, they never had a trip where at least 10 people didnt drop out. so being in 8th place might not be a guarentee, but it's certainly no reason to take yourself out of the running.

jus see what goes on when march rolls around, before its your chance to take the money back.

and trust me, you wanna go on a TPR trip, not a self organized one.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Just looking at the UK trip, I was wondering which days you were planning to do which park on, and also I'm pretty sure I've read it somewhere that your not, but not 100%, so here goes, would I for example be allowed to meet up with you guys for say 1 of the days at a park.

A couple of other things, which Gullivers World are you going to, and also, if you guys want an extra couple of credit's, a Park called Wicksteed Park is probably on the way to or from another park and you'll be able to spend 30 mins or an hour there and quickly have a look around a really unique, beautiful park which has a hell of a lot of history and heritage.

Can't wait to hear back.

James

^ Please try reading the FAQ on PAGE ONE of this thread. Your question was already answered:

Q: Can we meet up with the trip?

A: TPR members are always welcome to meet up with the tour, however unless the day is officially opened up to non-tour participants, you would not be able to take part in any perks that we've organized. (Exclusive Ride Time, backstage tours, meals, etc). Those are ONLY for tour participants. We also recommend that if you do want to meet up with the tour that you either come with someone or know someone on the trip that you are meeting up with. People on the trips usually form their own groups, and while we don't mean to sound "clique-ish" or anything, it is hard for a complete stranger to a group to try to "hang out" when everyone has been traveling together for several days at a time. We will try to do meet-ups, or a "Bash" at some point on every trip so that locals in the area can come and hang out and take part in our ERT sessions, tours, etc.

Also, Robb & Elissa tend to be very busy on these trips. Keep in mind that these trips are actually "work" for Robb & Elissa and many times are having to help the park coordinate events on the fly (ERT sessions, backstage tours, lunches, evening activities, etc) and when they aren't "working" they do try to have a bit of a vacation themselves with their family, and that doesn't always allow time to meet up with people for the day. Not to sound rude or anything, but they are more than happy to meet up with members, take a ride or two, but don't expect that by coming to a park when a TPR tour is there that automatically means you'll be hanging out with Robb & Elissa for the entire afternoon.

We are just trying to set expectations here.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a previous engagement and got home to log in apparently just moments after the audio failed. However, I just listened to the entire thing, and I was blown away! I think future audio chats would be a tremendous idea, especially if it's possible to post them on the site afterward for people like me whose schedules tend to be unpredictable.

Thanks, Robb and Elissa, for adding yet another layer of awesomeness to TPR!

• 4 weeks later...

Theme Park Review's 2010 Trips & Events UPDATE!

Hey everyone! We have some exciting news and update for TPR's 2010 Trips & Events!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/events/

First off - **A NEW 2010 TRIP!**

NEW! Oktoberfest 2010 - Sept 19 - Sept 26th.

This is a VERY small, exclusive trip - only 25 spots available. Download the flyer for details and email us if you are interested!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/events/oktoberfestflyer.pdf

Europe 2010 - UPDATE! June 28 - July 5th

Since we needed to add a 2nd bus to the Europe 2010 trip we have about 20 spots currently open.

Email us now if you are interested! This trip includes: Mirabilandia (new iSpeed), Gardaland (new Mammut),

Movie Studios Park, Europa Park (new Blue Fire), Holiday Park (#1 Expedition GeForce), and a LOT MORE!

Trip Flyer: http://www.themeparkreview.com/events/2010_UK_Europe_Trip_Flyer.pdf

West Coast Bash 2010 - TICKETS SELLING OUT FAST!

March 20th - Magic Mountain, March 21st - Knott's Berry Farm

Knott's Berry Farm is including an additional FREE T-SHIRT for West Coast Bash! In addition to your TPR/Rideworld WCB 2010 Event Shirt, Knott's is giving us more swag!

Six Flags Magic Mountain has announced a Back Stage Photo Tour! Get photos & videos from locations where the public can't go!

Register now: http://www.themeparkreview.com/store/index.php?categoryID=14

Bay Area Bash 2010! Take the TPR PARTY BUS!!!

May 15th - Discovery Kingdom, May 16th - Great America

The "Tony Hawk Water Challenge" is BACK! Plus backstage tours at both parks, lots of ERT, Park Presentations, and more fun!

Party Bus Info: http://www.themeparkreview.com/events/bayareabash_2010_flyer.pdf

Event Registration: http://www.themeparkreview.com/store/index.php?categoryID=15

UK 2010, Mid-America 2010, and IntimidaTOUR trips have all SOLD OUT.

We are still accepting deposits for the wait list in case there are drops.

Visit TPR's trips and events page for flyers and information:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/events/

Thank you to everyone for your support! We hope to see you on a TPR event or trip in 2010!

--Robb Alvey

http://www.themeparkreview.com

Hi there,

now thats some good news - TPR is finally coming to Octoberfest

While your stay should allow for trying each and every treat on the fest, there are a few things that everyone should know:

- Try Augustiner Bier! And if you like it, stay with it. (Won´t stop the most of you guys getting wasted in the Hofbrau, though... )

- Go to Fischer Vroni (near the main entrance) and try Steckerlfisch (smoked mackerel) together with Augustiner Bier! (Since most of the food on the fest is just excellent, just eat your way through all the beer tents while you are there, and don´t miss out the schnaps and the candy)

- Try Snuff! I recommend "Kloster Andechs Spezial Snuff"

- Stuff your pockets with money! Everytime I go to the fest I wind up with a two day hangover and 200 € poorer Remember that individual ride fares average about 4,50 €. There´s a familiy day though (wednesday?) with lower fares. Oh, and beer is around 9 € per Mass (34 oz). Meals are from about 7 € up. And there are megatons of merchandise to choose from.

- If you want Dirndl and Lederhosen (Robb? Elissa? At least you should absolutely do that!) don´t get ripped off in some fancy fashion shop but try used stuff, there are lots of shops around. It´s cheaper, and it looks better, especially the Lederhosen. Interested? PM me!

- Take a look at the city (beer-goggled or not) and consider the following: Englischer Garten (biggest park in town, some Biergarten, no roller coasters), Deutsches Museum (somewhat dated but very large science and technical exhibtion - and an according shop you have to see, with all kinds of technical toys, alike literature, and general science stuff...), Olympiapark (especially worth visiting because of the architecture. It´s another beautiful yet futuristic park with a large TV tower to explore and a Sea Life aquarium and it is close to the BMW Museum and the new BMW Welt where you can check out the latest Beemers if you want (I prefer Audi a lot ) and if you want to check out the nightlife, there are of course many many Octoberfest-afterhours and chances are you will find one of your favorite rock bands playing in the city, since there are thousands of concerts every year.

Some suggestions for side trips

- Kloster Andechs. A beautifully located monastry just outside of Munich. They brew a widely renowned beer there, and they have a beautiful Biergarten too.

- Schloss Neuschwanstein. A 2 hour bus trip from Munich. Not much here to say, everyone should see it once in a lifetime. Try to get a "behind the scenes" tour in advance, which shows some of the secret spots of the castle you normally don´t see. There is also a sledge ride nearby. If the weather is nice, take the nearby cablecar to the top of the Tegelberg and enjoy the panorama, its just amazing! Hey, you could even hike to the top!

- Go and visit my friend Peter and his little park in Marquartstein 1,5 hrs south of Munich: http://www.maerchenpark.de His wife is american, she will love to meet you guys!

- Consider renting a car and enjoying the last Autobahns on earth without speed limit. Find the autobahn to Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Passau and just nail it!

- If you are not sick of airplanes yet, the Munich airport features a visitor hill with good view of the enitre airport and also a behind the scenes bus tour.

Well, after all there are a lot of things to do here. If you are looking for something particular, just PM me!

• 3 weeks later...

You don't have to be rich... or famous... lol. The trips actually aren't all that expensive. Take, for example, the trip I'm doing this year - IntimidaTour... 7 days @ $1275. Doing the math, that's less than $200/day. Try to plan that trip yourself, or even with a group of 4 to split most costs. Hotel you're still looking at $15/person/night at minimum even if you try going the budget route, but most likely more like $25/person/night (or $175/person). Rental car, add on another $10/person/day($70). Food? Keep in mind, it's pretty much all fast food (not the cheapest), restaurants (expensive), and amusement park food (second mortgage?) so figure around $30/day for food, or another $210. Park admission? For sake of argument, let's figure on average 1 park/day at $50/park... that's another $350. already we're up to $805/person... if you go with a group of 4. If you're by yourself, now you're shouldering all of the costs to a tune of $1540! That's not even considering things like gas, not to mention that you'd have to do the driving, planning, and it doesn't include the skip-the-line stuff *OR* ERT that Robb and Elissa have arranged (and you don't get a cool T-Shirt to show for it, either! ).

Seriously, the trips really are an outstanding value... especially considering that most of the tours with a "regular" tour company (even AAA) would cost as much if not more... and the TPR trips always include most meals and are very flexible based on events outisde of Robb's control (i.e. weather, ride closures, Swine Flu outbreaks, etc.). I don't know of ANY other tour operator that would change the tour (and even THEN it's always on what the GROUP wants to do, not just that Robb or Elissa feel like changing it) to try to maximize the fun-factor.

Biggest example I can think of is when we were in Japan and we went to Toshimaen. It was overcast and misty (not even really raining, although there was previous precipitation on the ground). We had fun with a couple dark rides / walkthroughs and a tiny 4-person kiddy carousel takeover, but the credits were closed. The weather outlook was fairly negative for our purpose for coming, and I remember a night in the Disney hotel lobby where we were all crowded around Robb's laptop looking at a storm track online that was basically heading straight for us and bringing even worse weather. Robb presented us with several options based on a lot of weather researching, his previous experience/expertise, and thinking out several scenarios. Based on group vote, we got an extra day at Tokyo Disney/Tokyo Disney Sea, moved Fuji Q to the end of the trip, and went back to Toshimaen and a bunch of small park credit hopping... obviously that was an extra expense for them with the extra Disney day, extra Toshimaen admission, and extra subway fare - times 20! Yet they didn't ask for any more money. And above all, it was always about what the GROUP wanted to do given the scenario.

I will gladly join Club TPR. As far as I'm concerned, I've *already* gotten enough benefit to warrant the "cost" - even if I don't "use" a single perk from the actual membership. If I do (which I likely will, lol), then that's just a value-added bonus to me. I just hope my lucky number is available when I register since it's double-digit.

^ & ^^

On top of all that, the rich and famous won't allow you into the rich and famous club without being in Club TPR first. I know what your thinking. Aside from, "Damn Guy! You are a devilishly handsome man with an amazing body." In which case you'd be right. In answer to your other question, "But Guy, that's a catch 22. I can't be rich and famous unless I'm in Club TPR, and all the Rich and famous are in Club TPR." To which I respond, "Yes!"

Guy "Much like Proactive, that should clear it up for you." Koepp

"...The trips actually aren't all that expensive." (dannerman)

For what you get, yes, the trips are a great value. It's when you don't have the $$$ in the first place that makes it expensive. That's been my problem.

Eric "hoping to take his first TPR trip someday" L.

• 2 weeks later...