TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW October

MG

Hi everyone, planning a trip to WDW around the 18th to 24th October and I was just wondering what the crowds will be like. Do the schools in the states have time off then etc. Also, would anybody recommend one of the Disney hotels or would you recommend just staying off the resort.

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^This year? You should probably already have a reservation!

The parks are certainly not dead, but much better than Spring or Summer. Plus they're decked out for Halloween and it's a lot of fun. Weather is also pretty nice, can still be hot, but won't be unbearable.

A few schools will be having fall breaks, but the vast majority of kids are in school during this time.

The advantage of staying at a Disney hotel is getting the Extra Magic Hours to the various parks. When I was there three years ago, it was a good way to see addtional attractions with less of a crowd.

I've been to Florida in both July and October, and I prefer October's weather by far.

Eric

^This year? You should probably already have a reservation!

My family does holidays literally at the last second. We have got to the airport before deciding where to go on one occaision because my dad works for an airline.

^That would kill me inside!

Seriously though, if you're looking to do mainly Disney while you're in Orlando do yourself a favor and stay on property. Deluxe resort if you can afford it, but any Disney resort will get you great perks and you'll have a great time.

If you'll be doing other parks, other attractions, beaches, etc. then it probably makes more sense to stay off property.

^Yeah, it does get pretty stressful. Thanks to both of you for the info about the hotels, I just wasn't sure how much of a difference they would make. You can look forward to a review when I get back.

^ As an FYI, if you want a decent sit-down restaurant at that time, get and ADR (advance dinning reservation) now. Free dinning has been swamping the sit-downs even during the slower season this year. I was looking into a trip for this month and a lot of sit-down places were booked in August. There are many WDW trip reports about families not finding a restaurant to eat at with their free dinning, so just a word of warning.

If you have not booked a hotel and want to stay off-site, the Super 8 on W. Irlo Bronson in Kissimmee is great for the price. Recently re-done rooms and the management is great. We stayed there for 2 weeks and actually like it better then All Star Sports for half the price. It was around 35 with tax a night. But it is a place you need a rental car, so stay on site if you do not have one.

And finally HAVE A GREAT TIME!

^ That brings up a good point---transportation. If you stay on-site, you can use Disney monorails and buses to get from your hotel to and from the parks, but from what I've heard, sometimes the buses are slow and crowded. (To be fair, I've never used a Disney bus, so what I just said is heresay.)

On our October 2006 trip, we got a minivan for our group because we wanted to visit USF/IoA, and it made things a lot easier getting to and from the airport.

Something to consider if you want to visit SeaWorld, USH/IoA, or even take a 90-minute drive down I-4 to Tampa to see Busch Gardens Africa if you have the time.

Eric

EDIT: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but once you pay to park at any of the WDW parks, your parking is free if you park-hop to a different park on the same day, provided you keep your parking ticket stub.

I've never had an issue with the WDW busses. Sure you could drive between the parks quicker if you had your own or a rental car. But it's free, convenient, and I think it runs very efficiently.

The buses are fine. They come on a frequent basis to many locations, and take you to basically to any Disney Property. Also, I know that I've met a lot of people on bus rides, and they can be very entertaining!

The only problem with Disney buses is if you are at a resort that shares with a few other resorts. Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom Lodge loops are the ones that come to mind with waits being upwards of 45 minutes.

For the values, they are outstanding for being a free bus service. Our longest wait was maybe 10 minutes to go back to All Star Sports from the Magic Kingdom.

EDIT: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but once you pay to park at any of the WDW parks, your parking is free if you park-hop to a different park on the same day, provided you keep your parking ticket stub.

You are correct.

Never had any issues with the buses either. At closing they tend to get crowded, but everyone is getting off the bus at each stop, so it lightens up each time.

The only issues I've had with the Buses are when going from a resort to another resort or at park closing times (especially EPCOT) after Illuminations.

On our last trip from Port Orleans to Ohana using bus/monorail took us almost 1 1/2 hours. 3 days later using our rental car took us 10 minutes.

When we first started going, in 2004, parking was $7/day, so the price has doubled in 5 years!!!!

I can't do WDW busses. I've tried a few times, but I'm pretty claustrophobic, and they do tend to be crowded. I almost had a panic attack on a standing room only trip from Epcot to ASMu.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

We're off to Walt Disney World today. Still haven't booked tickets or hotels though.

However we probably won't stay at one of the Disney hotels purely because they are working out more expensive than we wanted. We'll probably stay at something like the Radisson instead.

See you in Orlando

• 2 weeks later...

Have a great time...WDW in the October is my favorite time of the year to go! The weather is great (70s), the crowds are pretty low, and the parks are very festive (halloween decorations and Food and Wine Festival) In my opinion there is not a better time to go!