Running!

Coaster Cow

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am proud to say that I've gotten back into running again. College has made me really lazy, but I got the willpower back recently to run around my neighborhood. It's a shame I don't do it more often because northern Pittsburgh (which is where I live) is full of trails. I tried to run with my golden retriever, but he's too interested in stopping every 5 feet.

Despite my size; 6'3" 230 lbs, running seems to be the one sport I am really good at... when I am actually doing it. I used to be one of the fastest kids in my gym class in junior high school. One time I went on a crash diet in high school because I was approaching 250 lbs, so I just stopped drinking pop and fast food and started to run everyday. In addition I went to the gym a few times a week and fell in love with the elliptical machine. I used to be on that thing for hours at a time knowing that I was burning 1000+ calories off. Right before I went to my freshman year in college I weighed in at a crisp 205 lbs, but not only did the "freshman 15" live up to its name I gained 30lbs back my freshman year! I think that really deterred me from working out because it seemed like there was no stopping it.

Well fortunately my weight hovers around 230 lbs, but I want to get back down to 200 lbs. Here are some comparisons of what I looked liked in college. The first and second picture were taken in my first and second year. It's basically one extreme to the other. Now I am more like the third picture. That was taken last fall and as a bonus you get to compare what I look like to my older brother, Jonathan. I tried to smile, but ended up grinning...

1629827811_Picture047.jpg.f771ee35cca2df179f842c4a26cc7522.jpg

first day freshman year

andrew1.jpg.e5e3772c119434d7bcddc3788938c158.jpg

my second year

andrewandjon1.jpg.07725c51f9128ec6216a05b8b7027b88.jpg

last fall

• 3 weeks later...

How's it going, peeps?

I got in two 5.4 mile runs while we were in Pigeon Forge, last week, but had to put off my long run until today, so I ran 13 miles, instead of 12. I think I took it a little too fast (trying to finish before the kids had to go to school,) but I felt pretty good, overall.

I'm sending out my registration for the Space Coast Marathon, this afternoon. I was going to stick to local races, this season, but the pre-race pasta dinner at the KSC Apollo / Saturn V Center sucked me in. Also, I decided that I'd like to try this race before the Shuttle program ends, early next year.

I will most likely sign up for the WDW Marathon, too. Damn evil marketing! Our passes expire the following week. We're not planning on renewing them, this year, so we're thinking the Marathon weekend would be a good way to finish up our passes. My older kids would like to do the 5K with my husband, and I think our soon-to-be three-year-old would enjoy the 100 meter dash. I'm 95% convinced to bite the financial bullet and sign up, but I'm going to watch the registration percentage carefully, over the next month or so.

I did a night run last night due to the full moon. It was hands down my best run of the year.

I did 4.75 miles in 39 minutes and it felt GREAT. I can't wait until the full moon next month.

Other than that, I'm just trying to watch my diet and make sure I can maintain my pace for the 1/2 marathon next week. I'm on an every-other day training schedule until then which will work out great.

I'm sending out my registration for the Space Coast Marathon, this afternoon. I was going to stick to local races, this season, but the pre-race pasta dinner at the KSC Apollo / Saturn V Center sucked me in. Also, I decided that I'd like to try this race before the Shuttle program ends, early next year.

Have you done the Space Coast Marathon before? I'm looking to do a full marathon in November or December, since I got shut out of NYC again. Though right now I'm leaning towards doing the Philly marathon.

I haven't been able to keep up with a regular running schedule as much as I'd like to. I'm almost back to running daily, but just haven't made time to get those long training runs in on the weekend. With the Disneyland half marathon almost a week away, I really can't judge how I'm going to do with that, but I mainly just have fun with the Disney races anyway. Plus I got an email today saying that I get a special bib and lanyard for doing the race 5 years in a row, woohoo!!

I signed up for 2 more Disney races this week, too - The Halloween 5k in October and the Family 5k during the marathon weekend in January.

This is actually my first marathon! The only other races I've done, so far, are the 26.2 with Donna 1/2 marathon and the Princess 1/2, this past February and March.

I was going to do a small local race, the Jacksonville Bank Marathon, in December, but we decided it would be fun to do the Space Coast Marathon before the shuttle program ends, next year. We just visited KSC, this summer, and absolutely loved the Apollo / Saturn V Center, so the opportunity to participate in the pre-race dinner under the Saturn V rocket was irresistible.

The reviews of the race are good. It's smaller - 2500ish runners (and most of those are for the 1/2,) and apparently the spectators are sparse, but the volunteers are very enthusiastic and dress up in space themes. There's a free pancake/egg/sausage and pizza breakfast after the race, and they give everyone race logo beach towels instead of mylar blankets.

In my very limited experience, I preferred the smaller race (26.2 with Donna had 8000.) The Princess 1/2 was a bit crowded for me. I enjoy quiet runs, so I think this will work out for me. I am most likely going to try WDW, too, but I'm anxious about the size.

Yeah, that's the only thing that has me worried about the 1/2. My first 10K there was only like 120 people and for the Disneyland 1/2 there are like 10,000. I'm very much a "solo" runner, although I did like hooking up with a couple of guys for the 10K and keeping a nice pace with them. I'll probably try and do the same for the 1/2.

^^^I'm still way off track as well. Between the two TPR trips, I haven't really ran at all! I did a major front yard overhaul, and worked hard every day, so I have been too physically exhausted to run. Just finished yesterday, so at least I have a week and a half to get in shape for the Disneyland 1/2

Between the Europe trip, business travels, and hosting out of towners, my running pattern has become very sporadic this summer (getting the European death flu didn't help much, either). One week I'll be doing great, doing 40-60 minute workouts 4-5 days, and the next week or two I completely fall from running grace. I've tried to fit in at least one run during my business travels, and I actually managed to run once during the Europe trip, but I can forget about fitting in a workout when I have friends and family over. One of my best friends from California is here this weekend, so I'm definitely out for the next 3 days (love you, Marina!).

I'm also not running the Disneyland 1/2 marathon anymore, since I failed to register on time. I am, however, running the WDW 1/2 in January, so I have a little more time to get into shape. I still haven't gotten into the habit of measuring my distance, and continue to measure my workouts by length of time. Not sure if that will work against me come race day.

Hey everybody. Had a great time yesterday at the Disneyland 1/2. I was a little off from my goal time (finished in 2:32:40) but I'm happy with the results considering it was my first race. I'm a bit sore today, but not TOO bad.

I'm off to relax some more and finish my book now. I'll share some pictures later in the week.

Great job, Benny! Are you training for a particular race?

I have my 15-miler, tomorrow,( that I had to put off last Friday, due to my dental problems. ) This will be my longest run, so far. I'm going to take it very slow, since we are leaving for 4 days at WDW on Thursday morning. Don't want to be sore!

Looking forward to seeing your pictures, Gregg!

^ & ^^ Thanks.

No, I'm not training for a particular run. Just for fun.

My first goal now is running a marathon distance.

Next goal will be a marathon distance in under 3.5 hours, which should be possible if I keep my average pace at 5 minutes per km (approx 8 minutes per mile if I calculated correctly). During my 33 kms run, my average pace was 5'19"/km, about 2h56' in total for the 33 kms.

Don't know yet what will be the next goal after I managed the above 2. Maybe the 100 km Dodentocht/March of Death and run the major part. I'm still very disappointed I gave up this year after 40K and I WILL ever finish the 100 km, I'm sure about that. But not next year, because during next year's edition I'll be at CP with TPR

Ultra running is something which fascinates me big time. But I'm far from the ultra running stage for now. But you'll never now. Some months ago I would never had thought I'm flirting with running a marathon distance.

And about being sore, to be honest I love it. It makes me feel that I'm developing my muscles. Yesterday, I was so feeling the 33 kms run I did 2 days before, but it really is making me feel good.

^ Are you just not interested in doing any races or do they not have many where you are? There are runs pretty much every weekend in SoCal somewhere. I've decided though that I'm sticking to "fun" type runs like the DIsneyland 1/2 and Rock N' Roll 1/2. I'm doing a "Dirt Run" in a couple of weeks, but that's just a 10K.

moinab, I posted my pics over here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56717

I think after 2 days resting I'm ready to go out for a run later today. It's a nice cool day so I'll probably go about 5:00.

I guess that's the 'rebel' in me. I always do different than what everybody would expect. There are a lot of organised runs out here, I just don't like the idea of paying to run. I like the fact that I can start to run in front of my house.

Nevertheless, I decided today, after having lunch with our CEO who is also a marathon runner (New York, Brussels, London, Berlin, Boston, ..) , I not going to participate in the Antwerp 10 miles run next year April together with a lot of colleagues. In stead I'm going to run the same day the Antwerp Marathon.

Next week Saturday, there is a 10K run out here in the village I live. Maybe I'll do that run too.

So this is the plan now.

One of these weeks, a marathon distance as a training.

A faster training marathon afterwards.

Antwerp Marathon April next year.

TPR trip in August

Building up the distances afterwards and hopefully being able to run the 100K Dodentocht in August 2012. Yes, ultra running really fascinates me.

You have fun with those Ultra runs.

I also have an issue with "paying" to run, but for me running in a race just has a different feeling. I'll never be one of those people who races in a race every week, or even every month. I mean, the first one I did was April and then just this past weekend. The only reason I'm doing the Rock N' Roll 1/2 is because my friends band is playing in it. And then the Dirt Run just kind of came up and it's local. I can't picture me travelling to do a 10K or something like that. Doesn't interest me.

I'm thinking I'll probably do 6-7 races a year but that the Disneyland 1/2 will be my "big" race every year and the one I use to bench-mark my progress.

Got my 15.5 miles in, this morning, in just under 3 hours.

I hate the high race registration fees, too - especially Disney!

BUT - I love the race atmosphere. As much as I love the solitude of my regular training runs, it's worth it for me to pay for the race experience a few times a year, (especially since I'm not "racing," but just doing it for fun.)

I don't know if I'll ever get into ultras, but I don't have any interest in shorter races, either. I like the 13.1 and 26.2 distances. A 5K just doesn't do it, for me - probably because I'll never be fast!

Thanks for the link, Gregg. Off to check it out, now!

I know Renee will be doing the Goofy Challenge, again. I think Colin may be doing it, too?

I'm really, really thinking about it. I have a friend who is doing the WDW 1/2 for his first race. His pace is a couple of minutes slower than mine, so I've been thinking that, if I were to do the Goofy, I could run the 1/2 with him at a very easy pace (for me,) and it would be a lot of fun for us to run the whole race together. My husband and two school-aged kids want to run the family 5K, and I just discovered that they have a stroller division, which means we could all run together, so I started thinking about the unofficial "Dopey," of running the 5K, plus the Goofy Challenge. Only concern is that it would be over $500 in registration fees.

This really is an addiction!