TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Running!

Coaster Cow

Good luck! I'll be behind you....way behind you. I'm in corral D, and hoping to get around 4:30-5. As long as I stay injury free the next few days this will be my first Goofy Challenge where I'm not injured! I ran the full a while back and got 4:29 so I'm hoping that with all the running I've done, and being injury free, I could do that this time around. I'm really hoping to get to 2 hours for the half (sometime this year, not at the Goofy though). I am definitely up for a TPR meet-up next year.

I never heard about the 20 mile special entertainment. Can't wait to see what it is, but I hope it's not something really cool that I'll want to stop for!

Edited by jray21

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm also in corral B, with the Runner's World Challenge, but I've also had injury issues and am coming off a sinus infection, this past week, so I've downscaled my goals, and am hoping for 4:30 - 4:40.

I'm not getting too excited about the mile 20 "spectacular." It's in the baseball stadium, so I'm hoping it's not just running past a Jumbotron, like the DL Half.

I am currently in Corral E but will move up later today when I have time to be at the Expo. It's going to be hot! They had signs out yesterday telling people it would be hot and not to expect a PR!

We're making a staycation out of it and staying at Caribbean Beach. If anyone wants to get drinks Sunday night or Monday let me know!

Also, local Galloway folks are putting together pace groups for both races and with finish times about 15 min apart. Let me know if you want info on that and I can send it to you. It's not public knowledge.

Good luck! Stay hydrated and use sunscreen! Have a great run!

A few quick notes about the race weekend, now that I've made it home:

Start Time and Temp were in the 62-65 degree and 97% humidity range both Saturday and Sunday; I found neither to be oppressive for the start.

As one of the "faster" runners, I didn't find the weather too bad for finishing the Half, either. Finished before 8 Am, with a time of 2:03:37, nowhere close to my PR of 1:45:01, but I wanted to save something for the next day.

The end of the marathon started to feel somewhat hot for me, though - I was up to pouring water on my head starting around mile 9. With that said, tough, I set a new PR by about 49 minutes of 4:05:08, partially owing to insufficient preparedness on my only other marathon. I did get some funny looks, though, when I went almost directly to EPCOT to have some lunch after the race.

Since I can't compare it to the old out-and-back from Animal Kingdom, I don't know how much better going all the way to WWoS this year was, but I certainly found the leg from AK to WWoS to be the most boring leg of the course. I was also somewhat disappointed by the "Mile 20 Spectacular" which was, in my opinion, overhyped. Also, running around the baseball field was not nearly as inspiring as Angel Stadium on the DR 1/2 course.

Anyone else have thoughts?

I thought the course changes sucked. I absolutely hated the WWOS section, and very much missed the run through Epcot, at the beginning, that they used to have. Either way, you still have the long run from MK to AK, and the long run down Osceola, from AK to Studios. That part is almost identical. (Previously, there was an out and back turnaround, slightly before WWOS, on Osceola.) It didn't "fix" anything, but removed one of my favorite parts.

I was meh about the run around the race track. It was ok. The mile 20 spectacular was lame, but I expected that, so I wasn't disappointed. They definitely overhyped it.

I was also dumping full cups of water down my back, at every water station, starting around mile 15 or 16. I was not in the best shape, having missed most of my training, the past month, so I was happy with my 4:33:47. Going to try for a 4:15, next month, at 26.2 with Donna, if the weather cooperates.

The humidity was nasty. My glasses kept fogging up, for the first 14 miles. Never had that happen, before!

I too felt the 20 mile spectacular was far from anything quality. Wow, we ran under a red banner with 20 on it with Mickey, Donald and Goofy to the side. I didn't even stop to get a picture it was so basic. I enjoyed the change of running around the race track. That was neat, though not as cool as running the Daytona Half where you start and finish on the start/finish line of the Daytona 500 track.

I didn't go in caring about my time due to the heat. I passed out a few weeks ago on a long training run in similar weather so I just took it easy. I got really bored coming out of WWoS. That was very similar to the ToT 10 miler but at least they didn't have us run in the very narrow dirt path to the back of WWoS. Those sponges going into WWoS were nice.

I'm going back to the half next year. I like being done by 10AM and having a beer in my hand by 11.

I also didn't really like the changes. Running through the parks is my favorite, so I was a little bummed we couldn't run through Epcot at the beginning. The weather for the 1/2 was fine for me, but for the full it was really tough. Living in Reno, it was 40-50, so I wasn't near ready enough for the 70+ weather during the full. The race track was interesting, but nothing great, and the 20 mile special was really nothing special. I saw a lady taking a picture with one of the 2012 London Olympic torches and thought that's what it was (that would have been better), but then she ran off with it.

I thought the WWOS was a change of scenery, but nothing special. At least the bathrooms were open so I didn't have to use a port-a-poty. The race also seemed way too crowded for me. It wasn't until about mile 7 that I didn't have to weave all over and was finally able run with people at the same pace. I did great on the half, but not so well on the full. I started getting some pain in my right heel, and by the end of the marathon it was really painful. Add in the heat for the second half of the marathon, and I was really slow at the end. I haven't done the Dopey since 2010, and I forgot how incredibly painful it is!

Did anyone see this sign? It was from Disney, and replaced the Sharpie signs. It said, "I'm the next door neighbors imaginary friend." Couldn't understand what it meant, and seemed a little creepy. Overall it was still a fun race. Didn't seem like there was as much entertainment as previous years, but still a fun race. I just really hate how early you have to get there, and how far you have to walk to the start.

One thing I thought was much better were the bathrooms at the main event area. They seemed to have a ton more than previous years. I didn't have to wait more than 2-3 minutes the entire race.

I missed the food truck after the 5k, but only saw two after the half (ESPN turk and some seafood truck), and I didn't see any after the full. Where were they at?

Still bugged about the lack of goodies in the gear bag. I was surprised that they didn't even offer a virtual goodie bag. It's just annoying when you spend that much money and there aren't any goodies, and the post race box is tiny little snacks. I know the goodies really aren't anything special, but I always tried everything and usually ended up buying some of it (like Bio-Freeze and the tape everyone uses now).

The only real complaint I have is the Run Disney booth at the Expo. It was an absolute nightmare. They kept on telling everyone to make sure and sign up for the Dumbo Double Dare at DLR because it will sell out, but they clearly did not think people would actually sign up. They had only 3 computers to sign up on! There will be about 50,000 people going through this Expo and they really thought three computers would be ok!? One of them broke, so then they were down to two! They also didn't have a cast member designated to help with the computer registration. When someone had an issue, they had to walk around and find a free cast member to help them. One lady took over 15 minutes just to register! They finally got three computers, and then four. Then after we had waited over 2 hours, that's right, 2 hours, they finally gave us some paper applications to register with. However, they didn't have enough pencils or pens (they literally had about 5). I just got an email confirming my registration for the Dumbo Double Dare, but the "see your details" link didn't work. I called Active.com and they said I was only registered for the Expo, but not for any races. So I emailed Run Disney and am hoping to hear back from them soon. They also didn't mention that I could have used my Disney Visa card to register online, saving me 2 hours at the expo.

IMG_4674.thumb.jpg.c88e8df31cfb78ae63bdcf8846eec6dc.jpg

Hard to see, but they had some puppet characters for the special 20 mile thing.

IMG_4675.thumb.jpg.169241b5b348bc8726478d0fee2c1401.jpg

They also had these characters (this is the olympic torch I though was the 20 mile special)

IMG_4676.thumb.jpg.d18dc32a261da41ddc6d7cdb4100f652.jpg

And there was this thing that looked like a fake finish line.

Did anyone see this sign? It was from Disney, and replaced the Sharpie signs. It said, "I'm the next door neighbors imaginary friend." Couldn't understand what it meant, and seemed a little creepy.

I saw that one too - I remember it being amongst a bunch of other "stupid joke" type signs, and laughed it off as a non-sequitur like a few of the others.

The only real complaint I have is the Run Disney booth at the Expo. It was an absolute nightmare. They kept on telling everyone to make sure and sign up for the Dumbo Double Dare at DLR because it will sell out, but they clearly did not think people would actually sign up. They had only 3 computers to sign up on! There will be about 50,000 people going through this Expo and they really thought three computers would be ok!? One of them broke, so then they were down to two! They also didn't have a cast member designated to help with the computer registration. When someone had an issue, they had to walk around and find a free cast member to help them. One lady took over 15 minutes just to register! They finally got three computers, and then four. Then after we had waited over 2 hours, that's right, 2 hours, they finally gave us some paper applications to register with. However, they didn't have enough pencils or pens (they literally had about 5). I just got an email confirming my registration for the Dumbo Double Dare, but the "see your details" link didn't work. I called Active.com and they said I was only registered for the Expo, but not for any races. So I emailed Run Disney and am hoping to hear back from them soon. They also didn't mention that I could have used my Disney Visa card to register online, saving me 2 hours at the expo.

I don't know when you went through the expo, but when I was there around noon on Friday, they had 8 computers there in use for the signups. The line was still slow, but nothing nearly as bad as you experienced. Hopefully this was a "fix" from your experience, rather than the original plan and several broke. I do recall that last year when I attended the expo on Thursday, they only had 3 computers for DL 1/2 advance registration, so I hope this was the improvement once they realized that it was going to be more popular than originally planned.

I don't know when you went through the expo, but when I was there around noon on Friday, they had 8 computers there in use for the signups. The line was still slow, but nothing nearly as bad as you experienced. Hopefully this was a "fix" from your experience, rather than the original plan and several broke. I do recall that last year when I attended the expo on Thursday, they only had 3 computers for DL 1/2 advance registration, so I hope this was the improvement once they realized that it was going to be more popular than originally planned.

We were there just before that. Probably 9am - 12pm. Glad they got it all corrected. I'm just surprised somebody thought that 3 computers would be enough. The Disneyland 1/2 marathon had about 6-8 computers at their expo to sign up for the WDW marathon, and they have a lot fewer people attend the expo there. I have heard that the RunDisney team had just changed quite a bit so that could be the reason. Overall, it was still a really fun event. I just hope I can afford to do it next year!

I just hope Amy and I are registered for it! We waited in line over 2 hours at the WDW Marathon Expo to sign up for it and they ended up giving us paper registration forms. I got an email saying I was registered, but there was no confirmation number. I called active.com and they said there was no registration for me. My CC was charged, so I've sent two emails to RunDisney but haven't heard back. Amy hasn't had her CC charged, and never received any email either. I'm really nervous we got screwed.

^ I'm having similar issues with my Half-Marathon registration. I received a confirmation saying I was registered but when I click the link to view my registration, it says I'm not authorized to view it. Card was charged and got a separate email confirmation on that with a transaction confirmation.

When I log into Active.com, it says I have no events scheduled.

I called active, and they said I was registered for the expo, but not for any races?! There isn't any registration for the expo. Looks like something is majorly wrong. I just hope they fix it and I don't get screwed.