TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Running!

Coaster Cow

I have been slowly training for my first 5K in October. I am literally on the "Couch to 5K" program. Been mostly using the treadmill at the gym because of the heat but finally got to run outside last week. Ended up going 2 miles in 19:40. First mile pace was 8:40. Not too shabby considering 4 months ago I would be out of breath after running to the mailbox and back.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I the only one in the world who prefers running on a treadmill to running outside? On the treadmill I can watch football, watch stuff on the ipad, HBO Go or whatever and generally be entertained while doing something I otherwise don't really enjoy. Running outside I just get bored and un-motivated that much quicker. Maybe it's just me.

I survived the DL 1/2. Barely. I overdid it on the Poweraide around mile 9 and made myself sick so I had to take the final few miles slow. Can't wait to do another though and improve overall.The support from the crowd is amazing. Being out there for 2 to 3 hours is awesome, but you might assume they had just started cheering as they had so much energy. It was really fun and encouraging.

I also loved the 5K. It was so much fun. Everyone was in great spirits and just enjoying themselves. It's the first time I've truly understood the term "Fun Run."

As far as Treadmill vs Outside. I like treadmill for the entertainment distractions, but it's hard to really get a sense of your physical ability because you set a pace and stay there. When your outside your pace and ability may be way different. So in a sense I feel like the treadmill holds you back a little. It's great for hot days though!

I survived the DL 1/2. Barely. I overdid it on the Poweraide around mile 9 and made myself sick so I had to take the final few miles slow. Can't wait to do another though and improve overall.The support from the crowd is amazing. Being out there for 2 to 3 hours is awesome, but you might assume they had just started cheering as they had so much energy. It was really fun and encouraging.

I also loved the 5K. It was so much fun. Everyone was in great spirits and just enjoying themselves. It's the first time I've truly understood the term "Fun Run."

As far as Treadmill vs Outside. I like treadmill for the entertainment distractions, but it's hard to really get a sense of your physical ability because you set a pace and stay there. When your outside your pace and ability may be way different. So in a sense I feel like the treadmill holds you back a little. It's great for hot days though!

Congratulations! For your first 1/2 it's definitely about just finishing. I had a really fun race with Renee and Greg. We stopped a lot for pictures, but our actual running speed was pretty good! You definitely have to watch out for the Powerade. I've done a couple of runs where I've over done it and it really screws up your stomach. My favorite part of the 1/2 is probably running through Angel's stadium and having all those people cheer for you. The only thing disappointing about this year was the lack of 'goodies.' In previous years, you got a bunch of useless crap, but there would be a few things that I would always use. This year, they should have just left the bag empty versus putting one tiny cliff bar in it. I think that made it seem even worse. I was also surprised at the lack of food at the end of the 1/2, and heard a few people complaining about it. After burning about 1500 calories, I need a little bit more than about 300 calories to recover.

I also like to run on a treadmill rather than outside. I have a treadmill set up in our workout room and I love not having to worry about weather, or getting ready to go to the gym, and being able to watch TV and movies to keep my mind off the pain. However, even if I set the incline at 2-3%, I know I have to at least do 1/2 my runs on cement/streets or my joints and muscles won't adjust correctly to the distances. I learned that at my first full marathon. My muscles weren't tired at all, and my heart rate was still really low, but my joints and bones hurt so bad.

I've caught the stupid running bug again, and signed up for the San Francisco Urbantahalon in November, and the Dopey challenge at Disney World in January! Yes, I'm a complete idiot.

The DL Half is definitely going to be a yearly thing for me. I'd love to do the WDW 1/2 in January, but it looks like I'm about to move out of state so there is no budget for it right now. Next year for sure, I want a coast to coast.

I'm not sure how many non-Disney runs I'll do. I get very bored so I need to added stuff like running through parks to encourage me not to give up. I guess as I improve on my ability to do the long distances I'll be more willing to do a more traditional half. Probably won't make it to a full ever. I have an auto-immune disease very similar to Rheumatoid Arthritis and I don't think my joints could handle 26.2. My Rheumatologist isn't very ecstatic about me doing halves as it is.

I know the 2013 one is already sold out, but I think I'll do the Tinkerbell in 2014, I know it's intended for women, but DL doesn't have a ton of races and I like the course they have for that one. Hopefully sooner than later we'll get more races at DL like the Everest Challenge and ToT 10 Miler.

I posted a fuller review of the race in the DLR thread, as I was doing a long report of my whole trip, however, a few things here:

I finished in 1:48:40 - less than 4 minutes off my PR. I was glad to see that, as my PR was set when it was 20 degrees cooler outside.

I LOVED running through the parks - my first race was the WDW 1/2 last January, and I caught the bug - so this finished my Coast to Coast challenge, and my next race is the Marine Corps Marathon (end of October) on my way to Goofy in Jan.

Sorry I didn't manage to meet up with any of the other runners here - wish we could've all gotten together at some point wither before or after the race.

As far as the treadmill goes - I can't do it. I'm more sore after 30 minutes on the treadmill than after a half marathon - and it lasts longer too. No, it's strictly outside running for me.

I think I'll do the Tinkerbell in 2014, I know it's intended for women, but DL doesn't have a ton of races and I like the course they have for that one.

Don't be worried, there's always a solid 1-2% men on the Tink and Princess races. I plan to get out to do that one as well, sometime, but it won't be 2013 for me either. Congrats on your first race!

I also prefer running outside vs the treadmill. Could be because I work at home and running is many days the only time I will get out of the house.

I haven't even looked at the "Goodies" from the DL 1/2 bag yet. LOL.

The food at the finish was also a bit disappointing. I also didn't realize they don't change the medal every year. For the price they charge, they should.

By the way, what was the iGiftBag we were supposed to get? Did I miss it somehow? I know they said we would get it instead of the normal gift bag, but I didn't see information on it anywhere. I tried using a QRcode reader on the symbol on the bib but it didn't work.

^ Sad. The Disney gift bags have really dropped-off even in the 3 years I've been doing the race.

So I wasn't planning on doing another 1/2 for awhile but found out about a local race at our local naval base (Wounded Warrior Half) on Saturday so decided to do it. Registering for a 1/2 three days before the race ... I've done crazier things.

Ran again yesterday and it felt awesome! Up to 3 miles now with a pace around 9 min. 30 secs. Hoping to do a 5K next month and then possibly make it down to some of the Disney races next year!

That's outstanding! I started with my first 3-mile training run last October, and was able to be ready for the 1/2 marathon during the January Marathon Weekend at WDW. Hope to see you there!

Going to try and do some running while I'm on vacation in Brazil. There is nothing more difficult to me than going for a run during a vacation. Hopefully I won't get robbed, shot, stabbed, bitten my a mosquito carrying malaria, or hit by a car/bus/motorcycle.

I'm usually horribly lazy, but have been going to the gym and running a lot on the treadmill...which has now led me to register for my first 5K on the Universal backlot in November. We'll see how it goes!

After looking at a friends pictures on facebook I mentioned to my wife that one of my "bucket list" items was someday to do a mud run, as my friends all seem to have a blast with them. This started an hours discussion on how we should be getting more exercise anyway and we have decided to start running. For both of us it has been a very long time since we last run. For me personally the last time I ran was when I was in the 10th grade for PE (12 years ago). We were already walking about 3 miles a night so we decided to work with that. We increased the walk to 3.5 miles, with a mile and a half of it being a jog. With so many of you here running marathons you can go ahead and laugh, but for somebody who has basically never attempted running before the mile and a half feels like a huge workout. After running that path the last two days my legs are pretty sore to say the least.

I did sign up to do the 5k foam fest in early November. I figure having something to work towards will help provide some good motivation. No matter what happens, I'm happy that I will be able to knock something off the bucket list!

After looking at a friends pictures on facebook I mentioned to my wife that one of my "bucket list" items was someday to do a mud run, as my friends all seem to have a blast with them. This started an hours discussion on how we should be getting more exercise anyway and we have decided to start running. For both of us it has been a very long time since we last run. For me personally the last time I ran was when I was in the 10th grade for PE (12 years ago). We were already walking about 3 miles a night so we decided to work with that. We increased the walk to 3.5 miles, with a mile and a half of it being a jog. With so many of you here running marathons you can go ahead and laugh, but for somebody who has basically never attempted running before the mile and a half feels like a huge workout. After running that path the last two days my legs are pretty sore to say the least.

I did sign up to do the 5k foam fest in early November. I figure having something to work towards will help provide some good motivation. No matter what happens, I'm happy that I will be able to knock something off the bucket list!

Good for you! I can personally attest to the fact that having a goal to work towards makes for good motivation. I will freely admit that as of last October, the longest I ever ran at any given time was my 1.5 mile physical fitness test for the reserves... now I've got the Marine Corps marathon coming up in about 5 weeks. Congratulations on your first step into this new world, and I think I can safely speak for all of the runners here on TPR when I say that I hope to see you at a race sometime soon.

• 1 month later...

The run in Brazil was very tough, but at least I ran! The temperature was about 88 degrees, which is about 20 degrees too hot for me. The road and sidewalks are the most screwed up I have ever seen. Dirt roads and sidewalks would honestly have been better. It was like running on a sidewalk that had been jackhammered. I saw a dead body from a car accident, almost got attacked by a pack of wild dogs, had a prostitute try and pick me up, saw a soccer match, saw some cardboard slums, and almost got ran over by about 10 cars! That was all in just one run! Definitely an eye-opening experience.

Now I'm training for the Dopey challenge this January. Really struggling with the distances. Up to 12 last week, up to 14 this weekend. Definitely not running as fast as I'd like, but at least I'm burning a ton of calories and starting to lose weight!

Joey -

That's awesome! I totally agree with you about 88 being WAAAAYY too hot for running - kudos to you for keeping it up anyway.

See you in January, I'll be doing JUST the Goofy. (I know, just nothing right?)

In the meantime, anyone in the DC area, please come cheer me and the other runners on in the Marine Corps Marathon this coming Sunday! It's my first full marathon...I sorta am ready for it to be over just to be able to say I've done it once.

I've been running a 2.7 mile wooded trail that goes around my subdivision about 5 times a week since April. Although I don't necessarily enjoy it, it's made a huge difference in my life. My consistent running along with a pretty strict diet has completely transformed my body, and made me a much more confident person.

Last year at Worlds of Fun. (I'm in the white August Burns red shirt)

391485_484785011551127_764655833_n.jpg.e79e62dde1f7d39edb4295bcfc8dfcec.jpg

This is me now.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I did our first ever 5k last Saturday and had a blast. We did the 5k foam fest, which was basically a mud run with some foam thrown in for fun. We actually enjoyed it enough that we decided to do a last minute registration and are going to run the Might Mud Dash in Dallas this weekend. These are addicting!

• 2 weeks later...

^I think there's a foam 5k here next year that I might check out. There's also a thing called the Color Run, where you apparently have to wear white and they throw paint at you or something. I wish I could do it but it's the same day at the WDW marathon. I love finding races like that where it's not just a normal 5k run.