TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Interesting change on Pharaoh's Fury at Lotte World

Pharaoh's Fury, the now well know Intamin EMV knockoff at Lotte World, just got a change to the jeeps. According to a friend, they removed the seatbelts and added homemade looking T bars to "improve capacity". They don't seem to have modified the rest of the jeep, so I'm curious as to how safe the ride will be, since the cars weren't made for those! Here are a few pictures: http://blog.naver.com/vsguy/100088548316

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see this being a huge deal. If anything, I applaud Lotte World for improving capacity on one of their more popular rides.

^Also, you really shouldn't judge until you've ridden it. I find that this ride throws you around just as much as Indy (if not more) and it's on par with Indy theming and ride wise. The only reason I would rank this slightly lower than Indy is because it doesn't have onboard Audio. It's a really spectacular ride!

Also that was my first time seeing a onride video. Wow, what a cheap rip off of Indi.

First off, WTF is "Indi"

Second, what Elissa said. Go to South Korea, experience the ride for yourself, and then come back and report.

In many ways I actually liked this ride BETTER than Disneyland's Indy ride!

In fact, I think several people who have been on this ride would actually agree.

--Robb

I consider about equal to the Disneyland Indy. Its longer, got very interesting effects and I love the fire scene and drop! The only issue was the terrible capacity. When I visited last march, they were only 3 jeeps.

My friend was telling me that this ride cost the park nearly 50 millions dollars. The parent company (Lotte) wasn't too happy about the bill!

^I'm wondering about the impact of the T-bar on man junk. I couldn't imagine a t-bar on Indiana Jones. That would be like a free vasectomy with every ride.

Is this ride as herky jerky as Indy?

*must resist joke on Koreans size versus the T-bar on the junk*

My friend was telling me that this ride cost the park nearly 50 millions dollars. The parent company (Lotte) wasn't too happy about the bill!

Who is your "friend?" And I'm not sure I believe that Lotte had no idea what the cost was going to be. These things are usually spelled out in the contract before hand. And if there is any additional cost that the park wasn't aware of, well I kind of see that as equally being the project managers fault on the side of the park for not communicating it as well as the ride manufacturer for going over budget. I highly doubt that Intamin is going to go spending any significant amount of money on a ride without letting the park know because otherwise they risk not getting paid.

But at the end of the day, what did they expect? Didn't the original Indy cost something like $100 Million? I'm actually surprised the price tag on this attraction was ONLY $50 mil! If that's even a true story.

--Robb

In many ways I actually liked this ride BETTER than Disneyland's Indy ride!

In fact, I think several people who have been on this ride would actually agree.

--Robb

Yeah, I'd totally agree with that. The Lotte World ride is amazing. FIRE BREATHING SNAKES!!!

dt

My friend's a korean coaster enthusiast and its basically what has been said on the forums there. Notice how little Lotte has invested in the park since Pharaoh's Fury opened in 2007? Lotte World has been kept on a tight leash regarding investments since.

Regarding Everland, Rolling X Train should reopen soon. It hasn't run since january or february and was closed to be repainted. They also took the opportunity to change part of the track. The ride look really strange in its new all white color!

I, too, would rate Pharaoh's Fury over Disneyland's Indy. It's a longer ride, the "dead"spots are out in the light (instead of complete darkness), and the amazing fire room!

Though capacity was an issue, perhaps the new t-bars WILL help!

Though I rate Disneysea's Indy the best of the three. It has Paco!

Another point, the Disneyland Indy has the worst queue of the three! IMO.

Regarding Everland, Rolling X Train should never reopen.

Fixed!!

They should have scrapped Rolling X Train, and used the money to (somehow) save Eagle Fortress!!!!

JJ

My friend's a korean coaster enthusiast and its basically what has been said on the forums there. Notice how little Lotte has invested in the park since Pharaoh's Fury opened in 2007? Lotte World has been kept on a tight leash regarding investments since.

Sorry, I don't buy that at all. The park is pretty filled out as it is and every visit I've taken to the place it's been very busy and very successful.

We shot video for the park last year and I had quite a few conversations with senior park management that would tell me what was written on a "South Korean roller coaster forum" is pure crap.

I really hate it when people expect parks to install something major every year. Pharoah's opened just two years ago. And if it really cost $50 mil do you have any idea how long it can take a park to recoup that kind of cash? And if you can still live off the same capital investments for years to come, why keep adding more attractions on top of each other. That's usually a sign that a park is on the path to epic fail.

--Robb "Going to take the word of the guys that run the park over some hearsay BS from a coaster enthusiast." Alvey

This thread makes me want to buy Coaster Expedition Volume 12 or whatever DVD has Lotte World on it!

Like at Disneyland, I didn't even know Indy was there! Same with looking at Lotte World, I didn't even know this "Pharaoh's Fury" existed! I'd love to see TPR footage of it-TPR is the quality I like best!

-JZ

Sorry, I don't buy that at all. The park is pretty filled out as it is and every visit I've taken to the place it's been very busy and very successful.

We shot video for the park last year and I had quite a few conversations with senior park management that would tell me what was written on a "South Korean roller coaster forum" is pure crap.

I really hate it when people expect parks to install something major every year. Pharoah's opened just two years ago. And if it really cost $50 mil do you have any idea how long it can take a park to recoup that kind of cash? And if you can still live off the same capital investments for years to come, why keep adding more attractions on top of each other. That's usually a sign that a park is on the path to epic fail.

--Robb "Going to take the word of the guys that run the park over some hearsay BS from a coaster enthusiast." Alvey

You're right. Lotte World doesn't need to spend any big money for years to come, so my friend was wrong.

If they're commited to improving capacity now, I'd imagine they would look at a way to run 2 trains again on Comet Express (Intamin Spinning Coaster) and French Revolution.

This thread makes me want to buy Coaster Expedition Volume 12 or whatever DVD has Lotte World on it!

As well you should! I bought it, and it made me a better person. Not only does it have Lotte World on it, but Everland, too! (Complete with Eagle's Fortress POV!)

/Not paid for or solicited by the Alvey's in any way.

//But really, you should get it.

As well you should! I bought it, and it made me a better person. Not only does it have Lotte World on it, but Everland, too! (Complete with Eagle's Fortress POV!)

/Not paid for or solicited by the Alvey's in any way.

//But really, you should get it.

Is is Volume 12? Or another edition?

I've been on both Indy at DL and Pharaoh's Fury at Lotte and I have to say that Indy, by FAR, is the superior attraction...when it is running right.

When Indy has about a quarter of its effects broken/on its last legs, then Pharaoh's Fury is better.

I personally found PF to be a little on the cheap side; plastic spiders? Really? And video screens of animated bats? Really, Lotte World?

I've been on both Indy at DL and Pharaoh's Fury at Lotte and I have to say that Indy, by FAR, is the superior attraction...when it is running right.

I'm very curious to know what it is about Indy "when it's running right" that makes you think it is "by FAR the superior attraction."

I have been on Indy when every effect possible was working (including the Ice Machine rocks falling) and I still fail to see how it's "by FAR superior." On par, maybe, and the official soundtrack might give Disneyland's Indy the *slight* edge, but "by FAR the superior attraction?" No way. You gotta be kidding me.

The only thing I felt was missing from Lotte World's attraction that can pump it up one notch was the official Indy soundtrack. If it had that, I think I'd actually rate it above Tokyo's version too!

Like Dave said - fire breathing snakes and the smoke ring are better effects than ANYTHING you'll find in Disneyland's version.

I mean, c'mon... FIRE. BREATHING. SNAKES!!!

--Robb "Me thinks you're just a little Disneyland biased by looking at your screen name!" Alvey

^ And Disneyland's Indy doesn't have fake spiders on the walls and cheap, scratchy video screens.

Perhaps you're right. BUT, Disneyland's does have a very crappy projection of rats (which works about only 65% of the time), along with quite crappy headlight projections of NO spiders on the wall (which hasn't been working all that consistently this past summer either).

It's just a crappy projection.

I guess it's just a taste thing.

So what's your point?

JJ

I have been on Indy when every effect possible was working (including the Ice Machine rocks falling) and I still fail to see how it's "by FAR superior."

I've been on Indy at least 50 times and have yet to see that effect in person. I've heard that there are a few other effects that Disney hasn't kept up, either. I'm curious to know more!

Indy ripoff or not, I'd love to ride this ride! Indy has to be one of my favorite rides of all time and a different version would be even better! I need to visit Lotte World and Tokyo Disney...

^ And Disneyland's Indy doesn't have fake spiders on the walls and cheap, scratchy video screens.

I guess it's just a taste thing.

I remember Indy having a number of sections where the walls were just UV paint backdrops, which I would consider quite cheap and tacky looking.

Okay, since I have a little time, let me elaborate on why I believe Indy is the superior product.

1. Indy tells a linear, full story. You start off in the queue, and there's evidence of a jungle expedition gone awry. You have the problem: don't look into the eyes of Mara. But then, you do look, and mayhem insues, and you have to escape. A clear-cut, totally believable story.

PF, on the other hand, doesn't. You start off in a highly modern museum, then you walk through a coffin, past a giant statue of some god, and end up in a thousand-year-old crypt with skulls lining the walls. What? How did we get here? It's the same gripe we've had with RotM at USO.

And the ride is no better. You board expedition jeeps. Okay. But why is the pharaoh angry at you? You've got bugs, smoke rings, flaming bridge (which I admit was pretty darn cool), collapsing ceilings,...and then lightning bolts? And that's the end of the ride? WTF just happened???

Indy makes an effort to tell a continuous story. PF doesn't even try. It's just a showcase for some special effects.

2. Capacity. Enough said.

3. Small, hidden touches. Indy has movie props, ropes that trigger an effect, a fake bamboo stick, and diamonds you can step on. PF doesn't, either because the designers didn't have the imagination or they just ran out of money.

4. The vehicles. I found the Indy EMVs to have a FAR superior range of motion than the cheap PF knockoffs. And another thing is that you can actually see where the track is about 95% of the time. On Indy, half of the time I can't even see where the thing is going. Which adds to the realism. Your car bouncing over rocks isn't that realistic when you can SEE a flat, concrete floor.

5. Effects. Yeah, the fire room's cool. But apart from that, what does it have? Several plastic-looking alligators that barely move, Winnie-the-Pooh-like effects where the doors swing open in front of you, a dude blowing smoke rings, the aforementioned video screens...Indy's effects, such as the opening scene where it interchanges between three different scenes, and the final boulder runaway, is simply genius.

6. Intensity. Personally, I found PF to be a little too slow. Indy's more rollicking, in-your-face, which I like better than the slow trip through several scenes. And you're running away from a scary pharaoh, for god's sake; can't the jeep go any faster?

Anyway, those are my reasons why I prefer Indy, and I think they're as concise as anyone would like them to be.

PF, on the other hand, doesn't. You start off in a highly modern museum, then you walk through a coffin, past a giant statue of some god, and end up in a thousand-year-old crypt with skulls lining the walls. What? How did we get here? It's the same gripe we've had with RotM at USO.

To be fair...

Don't you think it might have made a bit more sense if you spoke and read Korean and could have understood some of the pre-show story that was presented to the people in line?

I actually don't think any of the rides you mentioned really tells that complete of a "story" to be honest.

I don't most people have any clue of what is going on when they get into Indy until they watch the movie in the rider safety room and pretty much all you take from it is "don't look into the eye..."

Seriously, you just sound like a typical Disneyland fanboy that is obsessed with "your park" and anything that doesn't exist in "your park" isn't as good.

--Robb