TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Legoland Florida Discussion Thread

Think it looks a bit dull and could do with some more theming. What they do, they appear to do well but they seem to just not do enough of it to make it worth the effort of the extra travel. For example it's like the viking area at their Windsor park - very good but rides just too shorts and could do with a more immersive level of theming instead of being on an attraction and thinking - oh look here's a themed bit coming up. Maybe it'll get better when it gets a bit more 'lived in look' and they add some additional content. That said however this doesn't seem to have happened at other Legoland locations. I'd personally not make an extra trip for this.

In comparison look at the new pool area for the Nemo pool at the Art of Animation Disney hotel - now that's theming and touches like playing Nemo sounds under the water just shows some real smart thinking. I'd personally opt for a day at one of these hotel pools in preference to the Legoland water park. I'm not seeing anything innovative or new thinking at the Legoland park not already done elsewhere - they need to focus on doing something unique not found anywhere else then they'll make their mark.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Having stayed at the Art of Animation Resort - unless you are staying there, they really don't want you resort pool hopping to this pool. They really want it for the Art of Animation guests - as once all the other wings open up, it's going to get crowded! Plus, you can't just walk up to the pool either. You have to use your room key to gain access to the pool area. Obviously, you can follow someone in, but they are really trying to keep it to Art of Animation Resort Guests. The sound system is really a WOW factor - we could have stayed in the pool all day and not missed the parks!

As for Legoland - I think they've done a great job so far! Opening two 'parks' in two years - there's something to be said for that. I know the height issue for the slides is a bit of a downer for some of the kids, but I can only imagine that they will be adding in the near future once everything has truely been established. Here here to what looks to be a bright future for Legoland in FL!

Think it looks a bit dull and could do with some more theming. What they do, they appear to do well but they seem to just not do enough of it to make it worth the effort of the extra travel. For example it's like the viking area at their Windsor park - very good but rides just too shorts and could do with a more immersive level of theming instead of being on an attraction and thinking - oh look here's a themed bit coming up. Maybe it'll get better when it gets a bit more 'lived in look' and they add some additional content. That said however this doesn't seem to have happened at other Legoland locations. I'd personally not make an extra trip for this.

In comparison look at the new pool area for the Nemo pool at the Art of Animation Disney hotel - now that's theming and touches like playing Nemo sounds under the water just shows some real smart thinking. I'd personally opt for a day at one of these hotel pools in preference to the Legoland water park. I'm not seeing anything innovative or new thinking at the Legoland park not already done elsewhere - they need to focus on doing something unique not found anywhere else then they'll make their mark.

Legoland doesn't have the funds that Disney or Universal has. The entire Legoland Florida property was a giant renovation, and before adding extensive expansions to the Waterpark, they focused on opening what infrastructure was already there. Legoland Parks are not Disney or Universal Parks, they are built specifically for an audience of kids. The parks are not as heavily themed as larger competitors, but they aren't meant to be.

Not to mention that many Legoland attractions usually get better after being open for a bit. Usually more bits of theming get added and the folige has the opportunity to grow in. I always use the example of Coastersaurus. That thing was a desert when it opened, but after a year it was in a forest. I feel like you are expecting too much from the parks. Look at Legoland CA's new attraction, Pirate Reef. The ride has fantastic theming that fits in with the rest of the park's level of theming. It's no Pirates of the Carribean, but from Legoland it is good. It's lik expecting the capacity of Olympia Looping from an Arrow Mine train.

^^ But they didn't open a second park... they lightly re-themed an existing water park. I still don't understand who is going to this park and if it is actually doing well or not. NO ONE in Orlando is talking about it. I'm honestly still a bit confused on their expectations to draw from Orlando....

^I feel like Legoland is one of those brands that just flies under the radar real well. You never hear anyone talking about it in So Cal either, yet the place is always packed!

• 1 month later...

Legoland Florida has sent us an awesome press release confirming that they won't be increasing their

Despite rising ticket prices at other major Central Florida attractions, LEGOLAND® Florida today announced it will keep its prices steady through the summer at $75 for adults and $65 for children under 12. A family of four visiting the park will save between $40 and $56 a day compared to a visit to a competing park.

“The comparisons are important, especially in today’s economy,” said LEGOLAND Florida Director of Sales & Marketing Kim Isemann. “Families are looking for great experiences at prices they can afford. A day at LEGOLAND Florida is one of the highest values in our industry.”

Isemann suggests families compare other incremental costs too, such as dining and parking. At LEGOLAND Florida, all menu items – from mahi-mahi sandwiches to chicken Caesar salads – are priced no higher than $11. Parking is also more affordable, at $12 per car, $6 for motorcycles. Other parks charge $14 for both cars and motorcycles.

For those looking to visit LEGOLAND Florida and the all new water park attraction, which opened in May and features water slides, a wave pool, several playground areas and a lazy river called Build-A-Raft, they can for only an additional $12 a day. A great value for families to experience more splashing thrills and family fun.

While ticket price comparisons are on single-day, full-price admissions, there are many discount and combination-ticket offers in the marketplace as well:

• Florida Residents save $20 on a Premium Pass, with unlimited admission to the theme park and water park, as well as free parking, plus food and merchandise discounts, through July 31.
  • Guests save $10 off single-day combo tickets for the park and water park by purchasing online through October 28.

2012_02.07_LEGOLAND_ADSHOOT_089.thumb.jpg.0edef0d3b8ba17fc8b890a271f4298d4.jpg

But...those competing parks are currently adding more and more offerings. It would be an insult, I feel, if legoland DID raise their prices. Not to sound harsh but I think it would be welcoming if they actually lowered their prices.

To me, this signals that Legoland's attendance figures aren't quite what they were hoping for. We still don't have any data on it (LLF hasn't been operating for a full year yet), but I have to think that they would raise their prices along with everyone else if their management believed they could. It just makes good business sense.

To me, this signals that Legoland's attendance figures aren't quite what they were hoping for. We still don't have any data on it (LLF hasn't been operating for a full year yet), but I have to think that they would raise their prices along with everyone else if their management believed they could. It just makes good business sense.

Uh, no. $75 is already véry expensive for a park like Legoland.

Agreed. This will now be seen as more of a value compared to every other park in the area.

^^ But they didn't open a second park... they lightly re-themed an existing water park. I still don't understand who is going to this park and if it is actually doing well or not. NO ONE in Orlando is talking about it. I'm honestly still a bit confused on their expectations to draw from Orlando....

For whatever it's worth I have had several random small talk conversations recently with co-workers/customers/friends etc around here in Jacksonville who have all been to Legoland multiple times and love the place, many of which have all ready planned return trips. They probably don't advertise too heavily in Orlando because they know that market is so competitive but up here I see billboards and grocery store displays and fast food coupons on fairly regularly.

• 5 weeks later...

LEGOLAND Florida - 2013:

Today we have got very good news regarding LEGOLAND Florida. According to some plans found online by another website, ParkRumors, it looks like pirates will invade another area of the park next year. The location chosen is found on the right side of LEGO Kingdoms' main entrance, on the back of DUPLO Land. Here's a map of the area we are talking about (screenshot taken from Google Maps):

jBKU3BzPmz2pV.PNG.6b580003f513923d461a5b8c4fa5f6ca.PNG

Among the new attractions planned for this new area there is a splash battle, a flat ride, quite a few new water play areas, shops, one food & beverage location, changing rooms, and new restrooms. This area will therefore be almost an exact clone of the already existing Pirates Shores themed area found at LEGOLAND California. Here's a look at how the addition may look in a future LEGOLAND Florida park map (Note: this park map is NOT an official version. It has been realized by the Orlando Theme Park News Team for the sole purpose of showing the location of this new addition):

jp4d4uXTY9OnL.png.c30289a4f10bac3ca8385992f349df5c.png

Here's a list of the planned attractions and other offerings, as seen on LEGOLAND California's website (be aware that all the names for the following attractions may differ once built at LEGOLAND Florida):

Captain Cranky's Challenge: Ahoy maties! Captain Cranky dares you to test your sea worthiness as you sway back and forth on a pirate ship that sits on a “U-shaped” track and rotates in two directions.

Swabbie's Deck: Our younger guests can play in the crystal clear waters at Swabbies Deck where they’re surrounded by pop-up water jets, playful water fountains and delightful squirt cannons. We recommend you bring a swim suit, towel and change of clothes. Please note that swim diapers are required for all children under 4 years of age.

Splash Battle: Experience Splash Battle with its ship-themed vehicles that put you behind your own water cannon as you navigate through pirate-infested waters. Aim your cannon and take your best watery shot at spectators and other riders. But this is pirate territory so beware, because all of your targets are armed and ready to retaliate. All the while you’ll be surrounded by magnificent blustery pirate scenes of detailed LEGO® models.

Buccaneer's Booty Shop: This store offers landlubbers and scallywags of all ages the latest pirate necessities from hats and t-shirts to eye patches and swords. Buccaneer’s Booty also has everything one might need when going on a sailing adventure including a large selection of kid’s swimsuits, towels, sunblock and your very own airbrush tattoo.

...and many other new additions.

Now, check out the plans for this great new area on ParkRumors.com.

This is definitely going to be a great addition for LEGOLAND Florida. It was absolutely obvious that the park would receive this pirates-themed area, but the location chosen for the project brings up a question: what will happen to the current Pirates' Cove area? It is very small, and would therefore be quite easy to re-theme. It would certainly make no sense to leave to pirates-themed areas in the same park. What do you think?

http://www.orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2012/08/legoland-florida-adding-new-pirate-land.html

We finally went for the first time last weekend ($25 tickets were are main draw, wasn't going to drop $70+ each for a family of 3). We have an 8 yr old daughter & enjoyed it. We'd go back (assuming we'd get discounted tickets). It's not he greatest thing since sliced bread, but the low crowds and the fact we haven't visited any other Lego park helps).

I too wonder who makes the venture out there from Orlando? I'm 40 minutes NE of Disney and it's still a good 30+ minutes south, and it just "feels" like a chore getting there.

I never see any advertising on TV or here any friends and family talk about it either, so I wonder what the long term viable of this place will be.

• 3 weeks later...

Legoland Florida has sent us a press advisory regarding an announcement taking place in the park this Thursday, which evoked a very familiar Star Wars text crawl.

In two days’ time in a galaxy 45 minutes away… the esteemed Council of LEGOLAND® Florida will reveal a top-secret expansion taking place within the park in the year 2012. Under fear of retaliation from a certain sinister robed leader who must remain unnamed, no further details as to the nature of this expansion may be shared before this time.
Edited by jedimaster1227

Hmm. I think there is a teeny, tiny, small chance, even though I'm doubting, that Star Wars Miniland is coming to LLF.

Seriously, though this is a good addition to Legoland as many little kids (and Adam) love Star Wars Miniland.

This should be interesting with Disney doing so much with Star Wars, I wonder how much Legoland can legally do. Will they be able to hold events? have characters? or will it be limited to the miniland?

Legoland CA has a Star Wars Miniland as well as a Star Wars weekend event once a year with Disneyland 45 min up the road.

I assume a similar situation will happen here.

Today I had the chance to once again represent Theme Park Review at another exciting media event for Legoland Florida, this time announcing something that I could really geek out about! Today's event covered the unveiling of the LEGO Star Wars Miniland expansion coming to the park this November. Similar to the similarly successful expansions at Legoland California and Legoland Windsor, the new section of Miniland will feature scenes from all six films, as well as the animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars series on Cartoon Network.

The event itself was short, sweet and to the point. Legoland Florida continues to exceed expectations in every way, and we were assured that the park will continue to grow well into the future.

Park General Manager Adrian Jones spoke to those present, starting off by directly address the rumors of a Pirate Shores expansion coming to Legoland Florida. He said that the maps that people have been creating (along with the permits shown) don't confirm anything and the people putting these together have shown him something he's not seen before in regards to the park's future... In other words, he made it clear that we won't be talking about Pirates at this event, or anytime in the near future.

As for the LEGO Star Wars Miniland expansion Adrian was quick to let us know that while similar to the other Star Wars Miniland Expansions at the other Legoland properties, this one would be designed uniquely, would have unique interactive features and wouldn't be the last expansion to be made to Miniland... But I'll let you hear that from him. Take a look at the video to hear what he had to say about the expansion and more!

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=SW_Miniland_Announcement_fk53[/coastertube]

DSC08623.JPG.4509c07d1c944447c4c0b7aa37d3ac2a.JPG

We here again at Legoland Florida for a mystery media event...

DSC08578.JPG.227bda537673c613f0083b925234210a.JPG

The announcement took place in the park's 4D Theater, adding to the mystery of the reveal.

DSC08581.JPG.64a7569b095b88577bfe8b0f71169f51.JPG

Two cloaked items teased us at the front of the theater...

DSC08584.JPG.bffb04a02862c345c57faad6a0e93415.JPG

Park General Manager Adrian Jones began the presentation by referencing those 'false' Pirate Shores rumors.

DSC08590.JPG.3f12f052f04cd8381653848fd742386a.JPG

Notice anything peculiar about Adrian's minifig today?

For those of you who don't know, Adrian always has a themed LEGO mini figure attached to his name badge to match the many media events the park hosts.

DSC08593.JPG.ef942b9118d2210b67b54888d0071975.JPG

Ok... You guys kind of knew it was coming, but now it is official! LEGO Star Wars Miniland is coming to Legoland Florida!

DSC08596.JPG.92812aa0f1cc5df8d071d5526fb9e91f.JPG

LEGO Darth Vader even made an appearance to mark the announcement!

DSC08609.JPG.e7bdf46ea2e27e5bec711ea92ed0e8b8.JPG

After the announcement we were allowed to look at two of the new pieces that will be featured in LEGO Star Wars Miniland.

DSC08611.JPG.830147bafeffe4493cba3ff8d8e63109.JPG

I believe you saw this very figure in my photos from Star Wars Celebration VI as seen outside of the LEGO booth at the convention.

DSC08612.JPG.0a7953ef7a60d1e27e52f917a81137f2.JPG

As you'll hear in his interview, the Millennium Falcon is Adrian Jones' favorite part of the new expansion.

DSC08613.JPG.17c81042fdc113f6783556a9bf5a274c.JPG

No detail ignored!

DSC08616.JPG.573620186512f23a652cb6cab75b0247.JPG

I couldn't resist!

20120906_EL_LLF_146.thumb.jpg.582b19a6510db88144c4cb393437e6b8.jpg

Another look at the models courtesy of Legoland Florida...

20120906_EL_LLF_155.thumb.jpg.f493f07d6f51ae1734130ac2f42a1a19.jpg

20120906_EL_LLF_185.thumb.jpg.39cfd88b8d1624043b2de2acbb862406.jpg

So awesome!

1105110621_SWMinilandMap.thumb.jpg.64c6f20872b821bb51788f16d2853124.jpg

Next we were given a map that shows the layout of the expansion as it will be when it opens in November.

DSC08618.JPG.b0d84df6bdd264ea331a5815c931b636.JPG

LEGO Star Wars Miniland will be located behind the current New York section of Miniland along an existing pathway that was updated to allow for this addition.

DSC08622.JPG.9a56f4a94cfc64d784556acf72632e72.JPG

We won't have to wait long to see LEGO Star Wars Miniland complete... It is currently slated to open in November.

I really look forward to seeing this in person once it is complete!