TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Video: Water slide stupidity.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...tube pileup. How would they have let that many tubes down at once? Don't they normally have a lifeguard stationed at the pool to notify the attendant at the top that people made it through the course and have exited the pool before dispatching the next riders?

I've seen a few stupidities floating around on Youtube, some of people running around a toilet bowl slide (Great way to slip/smack your head), and people bailing off of a tube coming down the drop on a Tornado slide. And let's not forget the people who break into the parks during offseason to skate down the slides...which is also shown on Youtube.

I guess people are really that proud of their ignorance to share it with the world.

I saw the empty raft come out and I was expecting to see people come out quickly after that without a tube...and then a couple minutes later you see several launch out.

It's a good thing this slide is low and close to the ground, because this actually could have been serious.

Remember when all those kids did a pile up on that body slide...then it broke apart?

Yes, that happened about 30 minutes from where I live at Waterworld Concord. As you said, the kids did a chain, one stopped partway down the slide, and the rest in line bombarded past the lifeguard to make their 'longest chain' in the history of their high school, which resulted in collapsing. It happened the same day my school did their 6th grade trip to what was then PGA.

But yea...where are the lifeguards? Epic fail on their part.

Remember when all those kids did a pile up on that body slide...then it broke apart?

Yes, that happened about 30 minutes from where I live at Waterworld Concord. As you said, the kids did a chain, one stopped partway down the slide, and the rest in line bombarded past the lifeguard to make their 'longest chain' in the history of their high school, which resulted in collapsing. It happened the same day my school did their 6th grade trip to what was then PGA.

If you were the lifeguard/ride-attendant at the top of the slide and 60 kids run past you, there's nothing you can do. Supposedly you shouldn't leave the area you are at, and the only way you can stop them is by physically blocking them from getting on. But seriously would you put yourself in front of 60+ kids running at you to get on the slide? I wouldn't. You would get run over.

^Some do, most don't. It also gets more complicated because most slides have their water supply connected with other slides or pools and stopping the water can be a big deal.

I know from experience that if someone got stuck, or scared, or somehow stopped in the slide we would shut the water down, have to climb UP to get them, etc. It was a complicated and long process. I don't think you'd want a big e-stop button that people or lifeguards could easily mess with.

This topic about Concord's Waterworld accident seems to come up every few months or so. I've seen groups attempt chains at Water World here as well. Fortunately, most of the big slides here are built into the hillside and hardly leave the ground (or are close enough to the ground to where no serious injury would result from breaking) as opposed to free standing support structures 40 feet above the ground where the weight of the sliders isn't evenly supported by the land.

I've also seen people try to stand up in the bowl slides. One of these days some idiot teen is going to hit their head on the edge of the dropdown hole while trying to stand, and be killed in the process.

If you were the lifeguard/ride-attendant at the top of the slide and 60 kids run past you, there's nothing you can do. Supposedly you shouldn't leave the area you are at, and the only way you can stop them is by physically blocking them from getting on. But seriously would you put yourself in front of 60+ kids running at you to get on the slide? I wouldn't. You would get run over.

But its their job to do something about it. If they still push past them thats where the lifeguard needs to get a hold of Security or Management and let them take care of the situation because if something happens the Lifeguard at the top could be held responsible even if they break the rules.

Ok, with another terrible video posted we're just going to close this thread now.

As BeemerBoy said, we're just promoting it by posting and talking about it. Let the idiots weed themselves out by doing stupid things like this with or without video proof.

Until law enforcement and parks start taking these videos more seriously and prosecuting we're just helping these idiots out by giving them coverage.

Thanks!