TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Vekoma Builds Big Air Coaster

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The seating is 2-3-3-2? That's what it looks like. I'm not sure why they needed OTSRs on this ride.

Regardless, it looks rather interesting. Perhaps one of these with an additional car might make for a ride with decent capacity for a larger park.

Eric

^They have OTSR's for the same reason the Intamins have them, it's vertical and they probably have to have a little more restraint than just LB's. I can also imagine it being a little more comfortable with an OTSR than with a LB.

I must say that I have been very exited to see the Big Air. though it doesn't look as detailed as in the concept art on Vekoma's webpage, it still looks like one of the most interesting coasters I've seen. Can't wait to see if any more pop up.

The seating is 2-3-3-2? That's what it looks like.

It is hard to see, but if you look at the 2nd car in the picture of the front of the train you can see 2-4-4-2. In the front care it looks 2-3-3-2, but that might just be the angle of the photo.

The ride looks like great fun and hopefully we can see this ride style come the the US.

I was looking at the stats of this coaster on the Vekoma website, and this thing makes the Intamin half pipes loo like kiddie coasters. This will be Vekoma's tallest and fastest coaster, standing 197ft tall with a top speed of 67mph.

That thing is going to be going as close to the top as it can get than, if my theory is correct. SheiKra is 200 feet up, and 70mph, that thing (as you said) is 197ft tall and 67mph. To me it sounds like it's cutting it a little close to the edge of the ride.

^They have OTSR's for the same reason the Intamins have them, it's vertical and they probably have to have a little more restraint than just LB's. I can also imagine it being a little more comfortable with an OTSR than with a LB.

And if I am not mistaken, it stops you facing downwards vertically like a Giant Inverted Boomerang. Because you're completely vertical, your entire upper body would be folded over.

I think it's supposed to be themed more to airplanes than skateboarding.

• 1 year later...

I was at that park 2 weeks ago and it wasn't running. It looked like the ride was able to run, but, due to rain, they kept the cars covered in tarps and I could not see what it looked like under.

Interesting park, similar to Toverland! They had a huge Vekoma Shoot the Chutes, a Fabbri Booster (included with admission), the Big Air and a few flats outside. Inside the building, a custom Vekoma rollerskater with ROTM like effects, the whole Zamperla kiddie catalogue, a few flats and an interesting Soarin' knock off called "Taiwan Formosa". It showed beautiful scenes from Taiwan, in a smaller theater and with real simulator movements. On the roof was a Zamperla Samba Tower, Flying Carousel and a Fabbri spinning coaster. Interesting park and the Crowne Plaza that just opened in the same resort is amazing!

This is huge. I was nervous on the Halfpipe at Mall of America. This would be crazy fun. But it looks like it has "stuff" on one side, and not the other. Does it lift up one side then just roll back and forth? Or is it launched back and forth like the Intamins?

This is huge. I was nervous on the Halfpipe at Mall of America. This would be crazy fun. But it looks like it has "stuff" on one side, and not the other. Does it lift up one side then just roll back and forth? Or is it launched back and forth like the Intamins?

Here is Vekoma's explanation: http://www.vekoma.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=21

And a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYhQRkDfmhI

The pictures of that park look great. How is it that every other park in the world has incredible theming and parks in America have awful theming?

They don't have to pay their grunt workers as much as we do, and therefore they have more money to put emphasis on theming.