TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Partners to Help Develop Park In Nigeria

NEW YORK, Sept. 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The Government of Cross River State of Nigeria and Six Flags, Inc., (OTC Bulletin Board: SIXFQ) the world's largest regional theme park company, announced today plans to develop a Six Flags branded theme park in Calabar Cross River State as part of the State's "Destination Tourism" development plan.

Under the binding agreement, Six Flags will provide concept development and master planning services to Cross River State Government for the creation of a Six Flags branded theme park located on approximately 250 acres (100 hectares) contiguous to Tinapa Business Resort. Once the initial phase is finalized, Six Flags and CRSG will collaborate on the detailed design, development, construction and management of the location. The park is scheduled to open in 2013.

Senator Liyel Imoke, Governor of Cross River State said, "The Calabar theme park project will be a signature leisure destination for residents and tourists in the West African sub-region, enhancing Cross River State's position as a lead state in the tourism sector in Nigeria and the region. It will serve as a critical component of the State's tourism value chain, guaranteeing additional tourist traffic to existing attractions including the Tinapa Resort, Obudu Ranch Resort, and the Slave Museum. CRSG is delighted to be working with Six Flags, a global leader in themed entertainment, towards the realization of this project."

"The potential economic impact of this exciting project is vast, with the opportunity to create hundreds of jobs during the construction phase and subsequent operations," added Nzan Ogbe, Special Advisor, Governor's Office. "The theme park development is destined to become a major tourism attraction, drawing from millions across the continent and the world."

"We look forward to collaborating with the Cross River State Government to bring the Six Flags experience to this exciting, rapidly expanding region," said Mark Shapiro, Six Flags President and Chief Executive Officer. "The partnership represents another major step in our international development strategy and clearly demonstrates the strength of the Six Flags brand on the heels of our operational turnaround."

About Six Flags:

Six Flags, Inc. is a publicly-traded corporation headquartered in New York City and is the world's largest regional theme park company with 20 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada.

SOURCE Six Flags, Inc.

Link

At 250 acres, this will be pretty sizable park (probably one of if, not the largest in Africa), and it will be far bigger than the parks to be built in Dubai and Qatar.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply don't understand Six Flags' business plan. Should be cool though, and the people of Africa deserve a legit and semi decent sized park! 2013 is a long way off though, and they still have Dubai on hold!

Edit: Now that I think about it, perhaps the government is subsidizing part of the project to help stimulate a region. That makes sense I think.

^ Just like with the Dubai park, Six Flags isn't building the park. Just like what was done with Tokyo Disneyland, they are licensing the brand to someone else who will build the actual park.

MOD EDIT: and for that reason the title of this thread has been edited to remove the implication that Six Flags is building the park.

This is probably a great idea. It helps Six Flags build their brand, it probably gives them a nice little stream of cash due to licensing fee etc, it lets them build a new park and they're not the ones that take the risk and put up the cash. It worked pretty well for Tokyo Disney, didn't it This way the can increase the size of the brand, without doing the same mistake as the last management!

It's also really interesting to see a major park being built in Africa. Hopefully this can start something and maybe we will see more parks starting to pop up!

This is somewhat suprising. I actually travel with work to Nigeria fairly often and we always travel with armed men. If they do open a park i can't see many westerners visiting.

But then i guess thats not the point and maybe they are just jumping on an opportunity. There just seems to be much better places along that coast to place a park. I've been to Senegal, Ivory Coast and Gabon and they were all much more suitable.