TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Should B&M ever make a launch coaster

Should B&M ever design a Hydraulic Launch Coaster?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should B&M ever design a Hydraulic Launch Coaster?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anything wrong with it. If a park has a height restriction where a launch will make a certain concept work, then there is no reason why B&M should not consider that option. B&M will do what they do best, and if it means getting up to speed via a launch (hydraulic or other), then so be it!

Maybe this could be the latest option. At Alton Towers, none of the B&M coasters uses a Launch system. Also Rita is the only launched coaster, and is manufactured by Intamin.

I dont see why not, if not hydraulic, maybe a LIM launch. Also Hulk at Islands of Adventure is a launch coaster. So in a sense they already have built a launched coaster (just not hydraulic), so all they have to do now is create a hydraulic launched version. I could see some great coasters designed by them with a launch if they tried it.

I dont see why not, if not hydraulic, maybe a LIM launch. Also Hulk at Islands of Adventure is a launch coaster. So in a sense they already have built a launched coaster (just not hydraulic), so all they have to do now is create a hydraulic launched version. I could see some great coasters designed by them with a launch if they tried it.

If I remember correctly, Universal had to contract another company to make the launch because B&M refused to do it.

If I remember correctly, Universal had to contract another company to make the launch because B&M refused to do it.

That is correct. And I agree with Jarmor.

"no"

I know at some point someone is going to say,

B&M only build tried and true coasters, something that has been proven to work already

I thought about that for awhile, and though B&M does stick with usually tried designs; the invert, the flying, the floorless and the drop machine were all untried before they were introduced and all of those turned out to be successful. I think they issue B&M probably has is the reliability of launches. It just seems like every launched coaster has some form of issues that hinder complete operation, or it just explodes and wont move (Ring sitter). Until the technology significantly improves, I doubt we will see it.

I know at some point someone is going to say,
B&M only build tried and true coasters, something that has been proven to work already

I thought about that for awhile, and though B&M does stick with usually tried designs; the invert, the flying, the floorless and the drop machine were all untried before they were introduced and all of those turned out to be successful. I think they issue B&M probably has is the reliability of launches. It just seems like every launched coaster has some form of issues that hinder complete operation, or it just explodes and wont move (Ring sitter). Until the technology significantly improves, I doubt we will see it.

Very good argument. B&Ms for the most part are very reliable, at least from my experience. I don't remember the last time I went to a park and a B&M was closed through the day, whereas launches act up all the time.

However, if I may go off subject to the "tired and true" point, I do think it's about time B&M spiced things up layout wise, and not just in the department of where the rider is facing, and car design.

However, if I may go off subject to the "tired and true" point, I do think it's about time B&M spiced things up layout wise, and not just in the department of where the rider is facing, and car design.

What's wrong with vertical loop, dive loop/immelman, zero G roll, cobra roll, double flat spins OR vertical loop, then flat spin?

Thats just about every B&M there.

Being a Florida person, almost every major coaster I have been on was a B&M.

Should B&M do a launch? Definitely.

If any company has the ability to make a reliable launch, they will. I know they wouldn't put one on a ride unless they knew it would work.

^No way! I love Hulk and all, but tire launch just seems so last decade! They would have to go with LIM/LSM technology for sure, at least IMO.

Again, I don't think we will see anything like a B&M launch until the technology becomes fool proof. I think the technology is still a couple years out, but either way I am all for it.

In regards to the B&M woodie, I don't know how I feel about that. In that case I would probably say, stick with what they know best, steel. Follow this link for that discussion.

I say no.. not until they develop a system that works really well like everything else they do. Launched coasters seem to have LOTS of downtime like everybody has said here, but you know what bugs me? Old Schwartzkopf launch coasters never had lots of downtime! (Greezed Lightnin, Montezooma's Revenge, Tidal Wave, etc.) I say bring the old ghetto weight-drop catapult back! Haha!

• 4 years later...

^The question was "Hydraulic Launch Coaster" so, in that case, it's still no. I'm looking forward to seeing how they will develop their LSM system with future rides. Ideally they would be able to have faster and more forceful launches as time goes by as well as being able to have slightly bigger cars. However, taking into account that these LSM systems seem to be limited to a relatively small number of cars per train if yo want a good acceleration, I don't know. Just one question: for those who have tried a few LSM launched coasters (because I haven't), was there any whose acceleration came close to those of hydraulic launched coasters?

^Wasn't fluch von novgorod one of the most powerful LSM launches? (0-100 km/h in 1.4 s)

Those stats are false.

1. Fluch von Novgorod doesn't have a "standing launch". There's a 4.5m drop before the launch, bringing you up to at least 25 kph, maybe more.

2. The top speed of the ride is 88 kph.

based on the statics, Karacho's launch is faster than most hydraulic launch coasters. Look forward to ride it someday.

Karacho not only has a drop before the launch, you take the drop at a speed of at least 30 kph, bringing you up to probably 50 kph heading into the actual launch.

Edited by BDG