TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Odd looking supports

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found 2 more while browsing rcdb (credit to them for the pics).

1931505817_vertigo1.jpg.26f38c9e01f0a4c9c18c69c2180c89b1.jpg

Vertigo from Walibi Belgium. Though it no longer exists, it still had odd supports. To be honest, the whole ride was definitely unique.

597645878_gronalund.thumb.jpg.19a419b82a9b4d0551b0835561ed1d44.jpg

Grona Lund. I give that park mad props because they keep adding coasters in places you didn't think they could. They are being very innovative with their designs, which means weird supports are sure to be present. This is Jetline and Vilda Musen tangled together.

Oh gawd, Psyclone's back from the dead!

I don't think the supports on Deja Vu are that odd, but I think the lattice towers are cool looking. Come to think of it though, the loop has a weird structure supporting it. Too bad the tower has to be there at the boomerang in case it valleys. The ride would look a lot less cluttered without it!

^ anybody know why intamin chose to use their square supports and tubular supports so interchangably on cheetah hunt? Was there any rhyme or reason to where they used one or another?

Theming. Most Tubular supports will have it, while the square supports won't.

Cost: I-beam supports are probably cheaper, Tubular steel only being used where it needs to be.

There are a lot of off support combinations out there, would love to ask the engineer why some are the way they are. I bet there are some funny stories behind them.

I would doubt there are any "funny" stories. In an engineer's world, form follows function. I would bet it is a financial/ cost saving solution.

except this one, I have no idea...is this even theming?huh.jpg.f2059ecffda574dbecd4a60b765d2879.jpg

Oh gawd, Psyclone's back from the dead!

I don't think the supports on Deja Vu are that odd, but I think the lattice towers are cool looking. Come to think of it though, the loop has a weird structure supporting it. Too bad the tower has to be there at the boomerang in case it valleys. The ride would look a lot less cluttered without it!

I posted it because of the loop support, I just couldn't find a great picture.

Great Bear's supports are weird because Hersheypark didn't want the coaster's supports to interfere with the stream that runs under the gaggle of coasters (and Coal Cracker).

Yep, Great Bear was the first coaster that popped into my mind when I saw this thread! Some of those supports near the stream are pretty funky.

Also, when Kennywood built Sky Rocket last year there was one support that had a funky look because it had to straddle the entrance tunnel since they obviously couldn't drill down through it.