TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Odd looking supports

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd and unsafe

You got that right! What the hell? And that's a coaster? Wow, talk about heightening the thrill factor. All the supports in the pic are like that! No thanks, I'll pass on that one for sure.

And what the heck is this?

I guess Arrow couldn't be bothered to make the spine correctly? There has to be a logical reason for this but I have no idea what it would be.

If you look at that same spot here you can see they had to do some welding....hmmm I wonder why.

And all I have to say to this is... is there any track? Wow what a mess.

It looks like a refinery.

• 1 month later...
I had no idea how weird coaster supports could get! Don't they have to be up to some kind of construction code or something?

They have to work without failing, but I'm not aware of any universal codes that have to be adhered to. There might be something in the structural eurocodes that could be applicable to coasters that go up in the EU, but I'm not sure I want to spend a day checking!

There's TUV, but I'm not sure that covers structural things as much as the systems and mechanics of the ride.

Actually on the subject of crazy supports, Dragon's Fury at CWoA has some interesting supports that allow it to navigate Land of the Dragons:

http://www.thorpeparkguide.com/archives/dragonsfury/page2/photos/jan04-20.jpg

What??? The supports at the top of the lift don't even touch the ground! That just looks wrong.

The truss system compensates for the lack of supports on the lift, and the truss doesn't stop until it reaches a support (think Intimidator305). Looks extremely weird but it's strangely sturdy, yay engineering!

This is a cool thread! I am very intrigued why the Michigan's Adventure Crokscrew is like that? Has it been like that since it opened or is this a recent modification?

I can only figure that when they pored the original footings that one was too high so they had to modify the spine so it would fit on the footing...just my thought. anyone know for sure?

This is a cool thread! I am very intrigued why the Michigan's Adventure Crokscrew is like that? Has it been like that since it opened or is this a recent modification?

I can only figure that when they pored the original footings that one was too high so they had to modify the spine so it would fit on the footing...just my thought. anyone know for sure?

When I took a ride, I noticed an odd bump in the train after the corkscrews. The trains could not track it correctly and would actually jump a bit. I went to go check it out and saw that! You can't tell to well in the picture but the tubular section the trains run on actually has a large enough change in the curvature that there is an actual bend.

It's not necessarily a "werid" support, but since when has B&M had this additional support in their vertical loops? Or, why does Katun have one and not any of the other larger B&M inverts, ie) Montu, Alpey, Raptor? I am talking about the one in the middle.

Actually Katun isnt the only one:

Alpengeist

Great Bear

Phaethon

Talon

But yes, it does look a bit weird...

• 1 year later...

^LOOOOOOOL (!!!) True ghetto supports

Tornados supports @ Parc d'atraccions de madrid make sense!! They are just "overloaded"-a-bit, but they make sense if you stand right next/ under the loops. Only thing, they look weird..

TPR.JPG.cff9d052664eec5da6023ea079ea598e.JPG

Supports Tornado-Loop

1068981647_Tpr2.JPG.5a03972af41149987c1083275f4617a8.JPG

It's like a "house" :)