TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Golden Ticket Awards 2009

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that I don't always think the Golden Ticket awards are spot on overall, but I always have to agree with the Publisher's Picks year in and year out. I think they are chosen with heart, class, and with thought - as Scott presented in his post about Dick and Barbara Knoebel.

Jay "Proud to work for a 2007 Golden Ticket Publisher's Choice winner" Willis

Amazing Adventures of Spiderman

Islands of Adventures

32%

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Disney’s Hollywood Studios

16%

Haunted Mansion

Knoebels Amusement Resort

12%

Indiana Jones...Temple of Forbidden Eye

Disneyland

8%

Journey to the Center of the Earth

What a joke!

I was thinking the same thing as well. Until I remember the ACE annual conference was at Worlds of Fun. So there might have been a great number of voters who rode that ride only on the new ride list. It is the only thing I can thing of as I have not heard much about the ride period.

Half the voting population is from Ohio. That may have played into Prowler beating Manta (maybe...), but honestly, most of the voters probably go to KI multiple times a year.

Or maybe, just maybe, it could be because Prowler is a good ride.

But how dare I suggest such an outrageous possibility?

Sorry, I don't want to start that again, but please, I don't think it's that big a stretch.

How did Bizarro beat Millennium Force with Six Flags theming? Oh well I rode 7 (I don't count Bizarro as a new credit) of the top 10 steel coasters: Bizarro, Millennium Force, Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Phantom's Revenge, Magnum XL-200, & Top Thrill Dragster. I also rode 5 of the top 10 woodies: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Phoenix, Thunderhead, & Ravine Flyer II.

I was thinking the same thing as well. Until I remember the ACE annual conference was at Worlds of Fun. So there might have been a great number of voters who rode that ride only on the new ride list. It is the only thing I can thing of as I have not heard much about the ride period.

Half the voting population is from Ohio. That may have played into Prowler beating Manta (maybe...), but honestly, most of the voters probably go to KI multiple times a year.

Or maybe, just maybe, it could be because Prowler is a good ride.

But how dare I suggest such an outrageous possibility?

Sorry, I don't want to start that again, but please, I don't think it's that big a stretch.

Things to consider:

Wahoo Racer is ranked ahead of a dueling water coaster and a half-pipe slide.

For those who don't know, Wahoo Racer is matt racing slide like many other parks, except it seems much shorter.

Evel Kneival is over 20 spots ahead of its clone Thunderbird.

Screaming Eagle is better than T-Express? I think I will just save 2000 dollars and go to SFSTL.

How are EK, Wahoo Racer, the Boss and Screaming Eagle ranked so high? I understand that international coasters are not fairly considered in the poll, but does Six Flags have a contract with Amusement Today?

^^ No, I certainly didn't mean from AT, or anyone of the like. Yeah, it's definitely just a money-making thing with them and the parks. I was thinking more along the lines of what Mitch does with the coaster polls. Something independent, where voices could still be heard.

Worst operations goes to.....

Worst food selection.....

Etc. etc.

The possibilities are definitely there.

Can sorta use Mitch's poll for that too. I take local pride in CGA Grizzly's complete and total utter bottom-ranking annihilation as the worst rated woodie 13yrs running now! No other woodie has even come close to touching it's craptaculous record and lowest ranking complete domination! Go CGA!

I have trouble taking any "Top-10 Wooden Coaster" list seriously when Balder isn't on it, but I guess not enough people have ridden it. (That's the nature of the beast.)

Good thing there's that other far superior poll on best wood/steel coasters every year.

I don't even pay attention to the Golden Ticket Awards anymore, its always the same stuff and it really gets to a point where its ridiculous, imho.

Things to consider:

For those who don't know, Wahoo Racer is matt racing slide like many other parks, except it seems much shorter.

Screaming Eagle is better than T-Express? I think I will just save 2000 dollars and go to SFSTL.

How are EK, Wahoo Racer, the Boss and Screaming Eagle ranked so high? I understand that international coasters are not fairly considered in the poll, but does Six Flags have a contract with Amusement Today?

They do have advertising money involved, but honestly I think the problem is the voting pool is too shallow and lame to be taken seriously. No way in heck is Beast a top 10 woodie anymore for example.

totaly agree with this awards!

but the Cleanest Park is also seaworld Orlando...

of course CedarPoint 1#

and the voyage looks awesome!

i already hope that the bizarro (sfne) gets a golden ticket...

spiderman is a AWESOME ride!!!

and the mummy in Orlando also !!!

Congratulations all of the price winners

Things to consider:

I love SF STL, but was shocked to see how much love it got on the polls. Once again, I feel that ACE having a regional event there the day after the national conference (which was 3-4 hours away) helped the park. That is not me attacking ACE, just trying to use logic.

Evel Kneival is ranked around where it is ranked here on other polls. In Mitch Hawker's poll it is 15 and ranked 16 on CoasterFanatics rankings. So 13 is not a big stretch there.