TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Colossus Backwards

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Fright Fest, is there any information yet on what mazes will be around this year. I really am hoping they have a new one or two or at least bring back some of their better ones that were absent last year like Carnage E. Hall and Blood Falls.

You might actually get a response if you use the search function to find one of our Fright Fest threads and post there instead of steering this thread off topic.

Colossus backwards isn't too bad, even when riding in the old Psyclone trains that they use. My only gripe with it, besides the fact that it is a mere shadow of its former self, is that the layout really doesn't offer a very good race. If the two trains leave the lift at the same time, the one on the left gets ahead on the first turnaround. Next, the right side one catches up during the second turnaround. Finally, it gets ahead on the third turnaround.

It would have been better had the layout been set up for a more or less even race start to finish.

Eric

^I think its a combination of factors...

1. Most of the time, they only run one side. They alternate throughout the year, but its usually right or left. Could be staffing, but I notice they tend to rehab one side while the other is down (at least during parts of the year)

2. By only running it backward during Fright Fest, it keeps it "special" and seems to be a good draw for people to visit the park during Fright Fest.

I also have to wonder if there is some concern that by using the trains for too long would have a detrimental effect on the structure. For so many years, we have heard rumblings that the trains were soooo heavy and really hard on the Psyclone structure. Not sure, but just a thought.

One of the things SFMM has been doing to Colossus is replacing the lower layers of wood with steel I-beams. You can see that on the opposite track as you ride.

Honestly, I'd like to see those ancient Morgans replaced with PTCs (though I doubt that) or almost anything else. They can't operate backwards, which is why the Psyclone trains are used for that.

I don't worry about the structure of Colossus. It was built to handle the original IAD trains, which were rather heavy if I recall correctly. Before the Morgans, the park ran four-car, three-bench PTCs---and one track ran backwards all the time (the track closest to Goliath, "right side" I guess you'd call it).

Eric

^I think its a combination of factors...

1. Most of the time, they only run one side. They alternate throughout the year, but its usually right or left. Could be staffing, but I notice they tend to rehab one side while the other is down (at least during parts of the year)

2. By only running it backward during Fright Fest, it keeps it "special" and seems to be a good draw for people to visit the park during Fright Fest.

I also have to wonder if there is some concern that by using the trains for too long would have a detrimental effect on the structure. For so many years, we have heard rumblings that the trains were soooo heavy and really hard on the Psyclone structure. Not sure, but just a thought.

Oh those make sense but seems like alot of work.

Anyone know why they don't run backwards year round?

Not sure if it is the same as my examples but for American Eagle the backwards trains just torn apart the track. There is a big difference in the roughness on the side that used to go backwards (Blue) over the other side.

With the Racer, Don (the PR guy for the park) told us the insurance companies put a stop to Cedar Fair doing it. Now if that is the case at all the parks or not, I have no idea.