TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's China/Japan 2009 Trip!

robbalvey

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an interesting looking ride, but I don't see what all the fuss is about it. Such massive lines for a very low-tech ride. Even the animatronics are not as sophisticated as those in other Disney parks, especially those over here in the US. But, it is unusual to see another dark side in Disney nonetheless.

It's an interesting looking ride, but I don't see what all the fuss is about it. Such massive lines for a very low-tech ride. Even the animatronics are not as sophisticated as those in other Disney parks, especially those over here in the US. But, it is unusual to see another dark side in Disney nonetheless.

Low tech, this ride is anything but low tech. It utilizes incredible interactivity that is unavailable any where else in the world. Plus it features a very well thought out, very detailed story.

So what did you all think of the new ride Robb? Looks pretty cool, but kind of confusing.

To be quite honest, as a traditional "dark ride" is was pretty good. As a "dark ride with a gimmick" I didn't feel it stacked up to rides like Men in Black, Buzz Lightyear, Cartoon Spin, or Toy Story Mania.

In fact, I would say that the ride is much more like "Cartoon Spin" than the others I mentioned in that the "gimmick" doesn't really make the ride any better, it's just there to give you something to do rather than it being just a normal ride through dark ride, but if you took the gimmick away, it would still stand on it's own.

As far as the ride being "low tech" I would say that the sets were on par with what is seen on Roger Rabbit, Cat in the Hat, or some of the "better" traditional dark rides out there.

IMO it's not worth the insane lines, but this is Tokyo Japan, you have to remember, and they line up like crazy for whatever the "new" thing is. They did the same thing when Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters opened up a few years ago.

I remember standing in a FastPass line that started in Toon Town for that ride the year it opened!

--Robb

I actually thought that the first animatronic of Mike was incredible! I haven't ever really seen anything with movements that fluid. I also liked the effect at the end when Randal gets squished.

They line up also for the ticket booth and the gates. It's a pleasure to know no one will jump lines.

This ride looks like a shooting saloon with riding carts to me. It's all nice but way to overrated i think.. But i want to do it anyway It opened on the day we returned from Japan

First of all, this is the first time I've ever replied to, or commented on anything on this site (been a little afraid) so, if I do, or did something wrong please don't yell at me, ok?...be gentle...anyway, I just viewed the Fireball POV and I was so blown away by it I felt I had to throw caution to the winds and make a comment.

This coaster looks amazing! Even through the video the ride appears to be extremely smooth and very fast! And the structure - magnificent. I am, all in all, a wooden coaster fan, so I am a bit partisan, but this one seems to stand above the rest.

Secondly, the technical aspects of this video are astounding. You've outdone yourself, Robb. This one made me feel the wind in my hair!! The cherry on the sundae, though, is the parting shot with the tower in the center....spectacular! I enjoyed every minute of this video, and I thank you so much for posting it. (Now, let me move off to the corner, so I can blush, )

First of all, this is the first time I've ever replied to, or commented on anything on this site (been a little afraid) so, if I do, or did something wrong please don't yell at me, ok?...be gentle...anyway, I just viewed the Fireball POV and I was so blown away by it I felt I had to throw caution to the winds and make a comment.

This coaster looks amazing! Even through the video the ride appears to be extremely smooth and very fast! And the structure - magnificent. I am, all in all, a wooden coaster fan, so I am a bit partisan, but this one seems to stand above the rest.

Secondly, the technical aspects of this video are astounding. You've outdone yourself, Robb. This one made me feel the wind in my hair!! The cherry on the sundae, though, is the parting shot with the tower in the center....spectacular! I enjoyed every minute of this video, and I thank you so much for posting it. (Now, let me move off to the corner, so I can blush, )

Hey Pat! Thanks for the kind words. You need to post more!

--Robb

Thanks, Robb. You know, now that I've "broken the ice" (as they say) it should get easier... I definitely will post more in the future.

By the way, welcome back! Been following you on Facebook, (great trip reports), and looking forward to the videos.

And now...for even MORE Tokyo Disney!!!

Turtle Talk is coming soon to DisneySea.

Wow! Like REAL soon! It soft opened today! The show itself is exactly the same (except in Japanese of course), but what was amazing is that they actually gave it a fairly detailed "back story." In this version the premise is (since it's inside the giant ship) that the people who created the Columbia ship have developed a special porthole that looks into the ocean. There are newsclippings on the queue walls and more backstory about how they invented the hyrophone and how it ties into the ship, etc, etc...

Here some of the pictures they fabricated for the queue.

Turtle Talk "mock" construction update!

You don't often get days like this at Tokyo Disney where the wait times are only 25 min!

My fourth favorite flavor behind black pepper, curry, strawberry, honey...wait that's five! Oh hell, I like them all!

The Indy queue at Tokyo DisneySea is amazing.

Attention to freakin' DETAIL!!!

The best part about Tokyo's Indy... "I'm Paco."

Jock Strap or Naan Bread... You decide!

Ewwww... You just ate a jock strap!

"Welcome Home!"

Amazing hotel.

Here's the deal...I really don't like Pooh...the character that is...honestly can't stand him. BUT...this ride is AMAZING! This is seriously one of the best "non roller coaster" rides I've ever been on!

Engrish even at Tokyo Disney!

It's a completely trackless ride system and it does things that leave you wet most of the day.

Oooh! New popcorn flavor!

Well we certainly aren't in California!

My favorite location...hands down!

The Japanese start camping out for parades VERY early. It's awesome. They all put down their little mats and make sure they take up ONLY that amount of space. Everything is very orderly and polite.

CONSTRUCTION UPDATE!!!

Amazing food items are sold here.

Pumpkin ice cream for the win! They have little awesome food all over both parks at Tokyo Disney.

Big Thunder Mountain...yup!

On ride photos...ooooh.

OMG! Roller coaster track!

OMG! WATCH OUT FOR THAT GOAT!!!

Sexy.

The Japanese have a bizarre infatuation with Jack Sparrow.

Yup, they build an entire ship! There really seems like there was no budget limit when it came to building DisneySea.

The view as you walk under the hotel into the park. Just amazing.

If I wasn't such an Epcot fanboy this would EASILY be the best theme park in the world! (And realistically, it probably is!)

One more ride on Journey before we end our visit to Tokyo Disney.

Mega Shark versus Giant Octopus!!!

You can even by a miniature Journey ride vehicle!

Did we mention how amazing this part of the park looks?

Spectacular!

TAKE THE TUNNEL!!!

The floppy Gyoza buns are probably the most popular food item on the resort.

This is actually a "short" line for the floppy Gyoza.

This awesome Sea Salt ice cream comes served in 1/2 of Ariel's Bra.

For those of you with kids, the restrooms come equiped with these "child seats" so they can watch you while you poo.

All the toilets also have a "kids seat" on it. Why can't more American parks have stuff like this?

And there is even a shelf (in addition to a hook) for you to put your stuff on while you do your buisness!(Yes, I realize this was the "toilet update" but sometimes it's just the little things about this park that make it awesome!)

This makes Elissa horny.

Swing KidTums! SWING!!! (PS. you can buy those Mickey train handles in the shops!)

We found this awesome item in our hotel shop. "What flavor is it? It's DAMN HOT, that's what!"

A double decker carousel in most other parks would be a really big deal, but at DisneySea, meh, it's a minor attraction.

Camel Toe versus Green Genie...FIGHT!

Scuttle's Scooters is a WIN with KidTums!

It's pretty much "normal" popcorn, but it's still amazing!

More random Journey photos.

The elevator that takes you to the center of the earth.

Inside said elevator.

You do NOT want to mess with this guy!

It's time for us to head to the airport and go to Northern Japan!

Hey look! It's a monorail with AIR CONDITIONING!!!

Hmm...I wonder which stop we need?

Haneda Airport! New airport credit for us!

Yes, you are seeing that correctly...that IS a Pokemon airplane! Too bad we're not taking that to Sapporo!

These things were at the toy store in the airport. They are AWESOME! If you want to get the biggest TPR bag-o-crap you've ever seen...mail these to us!!!

Screw Vinylmation! It's all about these Pop N' Step characters!!!

Next stop...Northern Japan...SAPPORO!!!

--Robb

Edited by ernierocker

"What flavor is it? It's DAMN HOT, that's what!"

Though when a Canadian tells you something is "damn hot", it probably translates to "Californians would still shiver uncontrollably and Robb would ask where this spice was that he keeps hearing about" hot.

Also, dammit all, right after the American West, Tokyo DisneySea is next on my travel wish list. Awesome update.

I know it comes up all the time and I am sure I have already brought it up myself, but I really wonder why parks of that quality don't seem to exist here in the states. Do the Japanese just give bigger budgets to theme parks or what?

Or if you want to put aside ride and theme talk, why don't American theme parks put in those small things in the park to give a hand to it's guests? I don't think I have ever really seen any of that extra restroom stuff in an American theme park. Granted, I haven't been to a huge amount of theme parks so I could be totally wrong about this, but it just seems that there is more of a focus on making the guests feel comfortable at Japanese parks.

Wow - those wait times are really scary. Is it school holidays or something over there at the moment? When we were there in April it was rare for the posted wait times for anything at DisneySea to be more than 5 minutes long, and most everything was more-or-less walk-on. In fact, we had to make a point of walking slowly through the queues to enjoy the magnificent theming.

I know it comes up all the time and I am sure I have already brought it up myself, but I really wonder why parks of that quality don't seem to exist here in the states. Do the Japanese just give bigger budgets to theme parks or what?

Disney doesnt own Tokyo Disney, its owned by a Japanese land development company that has lots of money to spend

Is Journey build inside an existing mountain or is the mountain build just for Journey (like Everest)?

Is that a real space shuttle?

(Sorry, had to)

No its not a real mountain, it was built to be the centerpiece of the park and have the attraction in it.

Wow - those wait times are really scary. Is it school holidays or something over there at the moment? When we were there in April it was rare for the posted wait times for anything at DisneySea to be more than 5 minutes long, and most everything was more-or-less walk-on. In fact, we had to make a point of walking slowly through the queues to enjoy the magnificent theming.

Michael,

You guys got really, REALLY lucky then!

We have visited the parks 19 times now and have only seen the wait times you describe twice. (Once due to a typhoon approaching!)

It is pretty much the "norm" for Tokyo Disney to have 60 to 180 min wait times for major attractions during the peak hours of the day.

--Robb