132 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced a roll back?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. On Kanonen at Liseberg this year during the TPR Scandinavia Trip. In fact, they provided a rollback intentionally: they told us before the launch that we were going to get a very special ride. We were thinking that it just meant a double ride, but we did get a rollback.

Now, Kanonen isn't nearly as tall as KK or TTD, but it was still fun.

-- Dave

I have had just about as many rollbacks as I have had trains that make it over the tower. Last year during morning test rides at the beginning of the season pretty much every test rider would get a rollback!! Rollbacks are amazing when the train is fully loaded, but they are even better when you are the only person on the train, and everyone is looking at you! Best thing EVER!!

~Matthew

^^So if I go to CP and park myself on TTD all day, what are the odds? In fact I am not even sure how many times a day it occurs? Would my best chance for success be if I ran there first thing in the morning?
Your best chance for a rollback is on a cold day, and usually in the morning like the first few trains out. If it is a cold day and the ride breaks down, (which it will) the next few trains out after the break down usually roll back. Again this is all only on a COLD day though! That is all!

~Matthew

Rollbacks on TTD in the middle of the summer are extremely rare. The best time to get one is early in the morning (as in the first 3 or 4 rides of the day) when it's still cold in May, or wait till Halloweekends and do the same. Late night rides tend to result in rollbacks when it's cold, as well. Basically, go in May or October on a cold day, and ride either at the very beginning or very end of the day. That's your best bet.

The closest I have ever been was on TTD at Coastermania this year. I was on the first train during ERT Saturday morning and we crawled over the top. I got absolutely no airtime and everybody on the ground really did think we would roll back. That made me so mad.

CoasterMania was hilarious -- during that morning ERT, when a train would slow down to a near-stop at the top of the tower, every person in the 'line' would take a deep breath. It sounded so funny, every single time you heard the crowd-gasp you knew one was getting close to rolling back.

As for me, nope.

Rollbacks are VERY common on cold, wet mornings, likely because the ride has not been run enough times to get enough friction with the launchers. I went up to CP this August where the Northeast had unseasonally cold, wet conditions (it was a miracle if we got CLOSE to 70 F) and when I was watching it, I could see it hang on every one of them. It probably rolled back, but I never heard about it.

• 1 month later...
The closest to a rollback I have had, was a Superman the Escape roll through. It was pretty cool, I got to see part of Superman hardly anyone sees.

Care to explain?

I think he means when superman shuts down and the car doesn't stop in the station and rolls out the back into the emergency brakes.

As can be seen here.

Superman has "Drive Trips" in which the system fails to keep the magnets synced with the movement of the train. Since the magnets are also used to brake the train, they fail to stop it, causing the train to stop in the safety brakes behind the station.

Non-Sequiter:Back in my Six Flags ride-op days, I had to hit the station stop at Superman because a kid came back up the stairway as te train launched. Funny thing about that is as you hit the station stop, the magnets loose power, so rather than stopping the train, it continues to go the same speed it went when you hit the stop. When I hit it, the train went from the station all the way to radius (base of the tower) at about 4 miles an hour and had to be wenched back...

Well may not be quite on point however I did have a rollback of sorts on Superman: The Escape. As we're sitting on the ride, waiting for the launch the nerves are building. Then suddenly the train rolls forward and speeds up to a blazing 5-10 miles per hour. As we fly at break neck speed towards the tour we surge 15 feet up the tower before slowly rolling back down and towards the station. Needless to say, something didn't work right on that launch.