TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

So is this really the world's steepest coaster??

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe Mumbo Jumbo now has the steepest first drop in the world, so the claim is correct.

There have been a lot of rides that have been built in the last few years that have been touted as the steepest in the world. It has become a way to make a ride marketable and noteworthy.

I don't count it as the steepest coaster out there, since they use trims to bring down the speed on the really steep part, compared to what Eurofighter's and other beyond vertical drop coasters do.

And even if you recognize the drop on Mumbo Jumbo as a drop even if they have the trims, then Afterburner at Wonder Island should be counted as well and it's definitely steeper: Just Look at it, (pic at RCDB)

But then again those 2 drops are nothing, the other Screaming Squirrels which are even steeper, Sequoia Adventure - RCDB

So no in both senses in my opinion.

Sequoia Adventure and Afterburner are braked all the the way down whereas Mumbo Jumbo has only trims. That's probably something to do with it.
I don't understand the difference. Aren't they called trim brakes? And in the pictures I just looked at, it appears that Mumbo Jumbo's brakes cover the drop to the steepest part.

Sequoia Adventure and Afterburner are braked all the the way down whereas Mumbo Jumbo has only trims. That's probably something to do with it.
I don't understand the difference. Aren't they called trim brakes? And in the pictures I just looked at, it appears that Mumbo Jumbo's brakes cover the drop to the steepest part.

I was saying that the brakes don't go down the whole of Mumbo's drop so it actually "drops". Afterburn and Sequoia are constantly braked down the drops so they don't actually "drop".

Do you get what i'm saying?

Actually, wouldn't the world's "steepest" coaster be the Screamin' Squirrel from S&S? In theory, it has a 180-degree drop because it goes right back under itself. On the other hand, though, it's not a "drop" per se.

Eric

Seeing the topic I was going to say the same thing that's already been brought up: can't go steeper than vertical. Top speed actually probably decreases as it's no longer a straight freefall drop. I guess then if you really wanted, you can have an inverted loop and claim it as going well beyond vertical (causing extreme amounts of pain) so you do a whole 360...but wouldn't be much of a drop.

Actually, wouldn't the world's "steepest" coaster be the Screamin' Squirrel from S&S? In theory, it has a 180-degree drop because it goes right back under itself. On the other hand, though, it's not a "drop" per se.

Eric

Here's a question to think about: What is a drop?

Are you sure about that, haux? Look again...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3215/2715011611_945342b299.jpg?v=0

From that photo, it seems to me that the brakes cut off at (the first point in which you reach) 90*.

The whole steepest drop thing is too conditional really. Some may say a vertical drop is the steepest you can go, while others say that you can go beyond that as long as brakes aren't used at any point. But then again, if brakes aren't used during the steepest point then it actually 'drops' at that angle so in theory it should be the steepest drop, but as always, some people disagree.

Flamingolands one of my home parks so I'm just going to say Mumbo Jumbo's got the steepest drop.

What about Flying Coasters and the Pretzel Loop? If you can go steeper than 90 degrees than a Pretzel Loop technically goes back on itself and comes right side up.

Jimmy "Imagine a sitdown steel coaster with only a lap bar restraint with a pretzel loop" Bo