TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney to acquire Marvel

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap. If IOA has to completely re-theme Marvel Super-Hero Island...well...that'd just be nuts.

Maybe out of spite, Disney will open "The Incredible Hulk Coaster", 500 feet of Intamin 0-132mph launched PWN. And Disney will buy the rest of Orange County, and make it go right around the re-themed Marvel Superhero Island.

Right now, there is a Disney exec reading this board laughing at the fact that any of us thought that 3 acres in Orlando had anything to do with them wanting to acquire Marvel

It would be very very interesting to know whether or not the folks at Disney have been working on this since, or before GE's acquisition of the Harry Potter franchise..

I'd have to think this was a long time in the works. 4 billion was probably a tough pill to swallow. Well worth it, though.

Good to hear IOA gets to keep its theming, though I wouldn't mind Spidey being rethemed to Transformers anyway.

I am very excited for this pairing honestly. It is still too early in the game to say what will be done or not. I think that Disney can now open a new set of parks and call them Marvel World instead of trying to incorporate them into Disney World and Disneyland. The Disney parks are classic and I think Disney knows this.

I think they would be awesome with producing awesome Marvel movies. They have the money to produce action packed movies and this will definitely open up a whole new audience for Disney with boys and guys. Lately, it has seemed that Disney was focusing on girls and tweens with Hannah, Jonas, and people of the sort. I mean their name is on National Treasure 1 and 2 and they were pretty good movies.

I feel bad for the new Bizzarro's at SF. They might have to retheme all the two rides... again.

If Disney doesn't let these parks keep the rides and makes them take out all the Marvel related stuff, IMO, that would be a very bad move for Disney. Many people could lose respect. (Including me)

However, for the movie side aspect of it, I don't really see such a big problem.

--James

I feel bad for the new Bizzarro's at SF. They might have to retheme all the two rides... again.

If Disney doesn't let these parks keep the rides and makes them take out all the Marvel related stuff, IMO, that would be a very bad move for Disney. Many people could lose respect. (Including me)

However, for the movie side aspect of it, I don't really see such a big problem.

--James

I believe Bizzarro is DC!

--James

1. Like the other two said, Bizzarro would be DC. Plus, even if they weren't DC and were Marvel, I think you would be feeling bad for Six Flags not just because of the Bizzarro themed rides, ALL of their parks would need to be rethemed or be paying a luxury to keep the superhero names etc. That would put them off the face of the earth. Good thing Six Flags doesn't have the Marvel license I guess, eh?

2. I don't really think the majority of their park-goers would really care. I 'm pretty sure if anyone lost respect, it would be a small portion of those who follow up with the industry, which is already a very small part of their visitors.

3. Man I really want to see some good movies.

Theme park wise, I think the earliest change will be Marvel specific merchandise sold in some of their in-park stores. After that, my next prediction would be that the parks might hold Marvel movie premieres for the upcoming slate. I doubt Paramount, Sony, or Fox would have an issue with being able to promote their next wave of Marvel movies in the Disney parks across the world. The better the Marvel movies do, the more money Disney makes. And unlike Universal, none of the other studios worry about theme park competition. Disney would really only have to be mindful about not putting out a big blockbuster, like Prince of Persia, in the same release window as Iron Man 2.

Imo, if there is going to be an attempt at creating rides based on Marvel characters, it's years away and most likely will appear overseas first. For the US, wouldn't be too horribly surprised to see a Marvel parade float before any permanent attraction.

It's only a matter of time until someone panics about Batman theming.

Ok. Everyone. Please listen.

I am not a huge comic nerd, but it isn't hard to figure out. Six Flags has DC Comics characters ONLY. Batman is DC. Superman is DC. The superhero characters in Six Flags parks are DC, because they have a license with DC Comics.

I doubt we will see DC characters inside of the Disney parks...however, what I can see Disney doing is opening up a new hotel with a DC theme to it...like a superhero hotel (clever name). Or have some sort of restaurant in Downtown Disney. Or sell merchandise inside the park to appeal to the little (and big) boys.

Mainly, my point is I would think that the company would put the DC name on the periphery b/c most people wouldn’t associate Disney with DC and the brand has been built without any of that Disney magic.

^ Exactly, Huh?

^^ No. They didn't purchase Washington, DC, they purchased Marvel, CO. Please keep up with the conversation.

Anyway, in all seriousness. I really don't see anything Marvel being added to the parks within the near future. I really do think this is more of a movie/television plan for the next 5 years or so.

^See, this is why we should be in charge of things. Forget the Harry Potter overlay, Dueling Dragons should have become Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus!!!!!!
This earns a spot in my sig, only because I watched that monstrosity of a movie one night(by accident...very bored).