TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Will Six Flags expand with parks in America?

Nope SFA used to be Wild World then Adventure world, it opend in 82

I'm aware, but if you do a little research you'll see that Six Flags came in and completely scrapped and re-themed the whole park, with totally new themed areas, a new entrance, etc. If you go to SFAfans.com you'll see the concept drawings from when the park opened in '99.

That's just the problem in this case,many of the concepts never became a reality thanks to Burke & Co. going on an SFMM,SFGRAM & SFGRADV expansion kick at the expense of the remaining parks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope SFA used to be Wild World then Adventure world, it opend in 82

I'm aware, but if you do a little research you'll see that Six Flags came in and completely scrapped and re-themed the whole park, with totally new themed areas, a new entrance, etc. If you go to SFAfans.com you'll see the concept drawings from when the park opened in '99.

Not Really, i have been going to that park since it was Wild World, and while six flags did add an entire new entrance area, the only other thing they really did was add a land behind Wild One, (Area now that has Jokers Jinx, ROS, and Batwing) apart from that they didnt really change much.

Right, that's all they did when the park was called "Six Flags America". You have to remember that when the park became Adventure World (which was when most of the dry rides, coasters, etc. came to the park) it was essentially being built from the ground up by Premier Parks. Guess who Premier Parks purchased and changed it's company name to? SIX FLAGS! Get the gist of what my point is now?

True in that case, but still the basic infrastructure was there. I think the point of this thread is will Six Flags ever build another park from the ground up. (Like HRP) and i dont think that will ever happen, 1 because there is very few markets left to expand into, and 2 because of the incredibly high cost of building a park in the US as opposed to Qatar, or Dubai

If SFI were to sell SFA that would get a load of money, but would be a stupid move. SFA is 15 minutes from the nations capitol. I think SFI realized that even if they don't add too many rides, people are still going to come. Thousands and thousands of tourists visit DC everyday and millions live in the DC Metropolitan area.

And you guys forgot that SFA is expecting Thomas Town with 10 new attractions in 2010. If they were even thinking about selling the park, why would they add Thomas Town, and such a huge one at that?

But this is not a SFA discussion so I'm done lol

Magic Mountain in the West

Over Texas in the Southwest

Over Georgia in the Southeast

Great Adventure in the Northeast

St. Louis in Mid-America

Sorry to quote an older post, but I'm new to the thread. If I were to choose a Midwest park to represent SF, I would go with Great America. In fact, if you made that change, you would have a complete list of what most enthusiasts consider the heart of Six Flags. SFSL is not a bad park by Six Flags standards (i.e. it is a lot better than KK), but I wouldn't put it in the same league as GAm or the others, keeping in mind that I haven't been to Great Adventure or Over Georgia.

That said, I don't think this is a bad idea. I don't know how easy it would be for SF to let go of parks like Fiesta Texas, New England, and St. Louis, though. KK, America, and NO should all be sold to groups that care more. I would love to see what could be done with KK if it got some attention and NO just needs somebody to get it back on its feet.

As for the other parks - and this is such an unlikely idea that I feel stupid even mentioning it - I really would like to see them (SL, NE, FT, and maybe DK) splitting off from SF and forming their own small chain. That would give this chain basically the same coverage of the US that the big five do: SL for the Midwest, NE for the East, FT for the South, and DK for the West. But I'm dreaming if I think that's even a tiny bit possible.

But the first thing SF needs to do is stop it with the stupid lockers. I'm sick of paying for individual rides at pay-for-admission parks

Well if you sell parks, you are risking someone like Cedar Fair coming in and closing the park to eliminate competition (Guega Lake or however it's spelled) If Cedar Fair could get their hands on SFKK, SFA, or SFStL cheap, they would more than likely be a repeat to eliminate competition from King's Island, King's Dominion, and Worlds of Fun, which is not what you want.

I think Six Flags is good where they are right now. They have a broad spectrum of parks represented. You have a smaller park like The Great Escape, you have mid-size parks like Kentucky Kingdom and St. Louis, and then you have the larger parks such as Magic Mountain and Great Adventure. If they can keep what they've got right now, I don't think there's a big need for more parks.

Well if you sell parks, you are risking someone like Cedar Fair coming in and closing the park to eliminate competition (Guega Lake or however it's spelled) If Cedar Fair could get their hands on SFKK, SFA, or SFStL cheap, they would more than likely be a repeat to eliminate competition from King's Island, King's Dominion, and Worlds of Fun, which is not what you want.

I disagree with this statement right now. Not to say that you don't make a point, but Cedar Fair is not as healthy as they wish they were. They did not have the explosive expansion that Six Flags has had, but I'm sure they're paying attention to how Six Flags is doing today.

What would make the most sense to me would be a slow sell off over several parks (many of which I would expect not to survive) and return to a regional concept. Not saying this is going to happen, but as of right now I see the growth of Six Flags as being the last thing we should expect to see.

IIRC, the 3 original SF parks SFStL, SFOG, and SFOT aren't fully owned by SF but multiple companies so SF cannot sell off the three original parks.

With today's economy in the tank and multiple chains trying to sell off parks, I don't see SF selling anything off because most major chains are selling off (or considering selling off) parks as it is.

Honestly, I can see them selling off SFA and SFKK first. Other than that, I personally don't see other parks being sold.

I doubt we'll see any new properties acquired by SF. If anything they could stand to shed a few parks (I'm looking at you, SFA and SFKK).

Why does everyone think SFA should go? I found it to be a very nice park, and it's in a very large Metropolitan area. With a little more investment and advertising, they could be the dominant over King's Dominion.

SFI hasn't done any bit of real good with the place for nearly a decade & what with KD's new giga set to debut next season the writing's on the wall as far as competion is concerned....I mean SFI wouldn't even give the park something inexpensive as a THBS clone when they really needed it so why would they start now?

You have been saying these same things for the past 5+ years. Next year they're at least getting a new family area which is something.

People seem to confuse their perceptions of the park from an enthusiast perspective with the park's "profitability". Obviously SFA is a profitable park and can continue be, otherwise it would have been sold or bulldozed years ago when the land it sits on was most valuable and we were seeing Astroworld destroyed and other parks sold. And they wouldn't be investing money into the park for next season

That's just the problem in this case,many of the concepts never became a reality thanks to Burke & Co. going on an SFMM,SFGRAM & SFGRADV expansion kick at the expense of the remaining parks.

You said it perfect. So many SF parks in need of new rides and its seems their only concern is adding new coasters at SFMM and SFGADV. I even think they neglect SFGRAM compared to those other two. Adding two coasters to MM in two years is going a little overboard, and some people claim MM isn't interested in the coaster count record

I still think Six Flags over Texas is the most beautiful park with the best atmosphere in the chain and the best they can do with it is rehab an old wooden coaster?

Freestyle Music Park's President described the U.S. as a saturated market when it comes to theme parks.

This made me chuckle.

Wisdom from FSHRMP's president FTW.

Its true though. Pretty much all major markets have theme at least one theme park now, and once it has one thats completely built up you cant really build another to compete with it. Look at Chicago for example has Six Flags Great America which has 12 coasters, a whole bunch flats, and a waterpark. Theres no way any park could compete with that unless it was a full-fledged huge theme park and nobody just builds those without taking years to fill things out and build up after opening.

^ That's partly why Knott's had so much trouble competing under the Knott family ownership. They just didn't have the capital to keep up with Disney and Six Flags.

Even now under Cedar Fair, the park has had to add coaster after coaster.

Now, of course, being so spread out and so populated, the Los Angeles area can support multiple parks. But if another one came in, I think it'd have a tough time.

Eric

IIRC, the 3 original SF parks SFStL, SFOG, and SFOT aren't fully owned by SF but multiple companies so SF cannot sell off the three original parks.

With today's economy in the tank and multiple chains trying to sell off parks, I don't see SF selling anything off because most major chains are selling off (or considering selling off) parks as it is.

Honestly, I can see them selling off SFA and SFKK first. Other than that, I personally don't see other parks being sold.

Nope,that only applies to SFOT & SFOG.

What they need to do is FIX UP the smaller parks like SFA & SFKK first while just letting the bigger spoiled rotten parks sit tight for a couple of years.

^ Hmmm... IIRC...

- SFA has gotten a ton of new waterpark expansions recently. They're getting a Thomas Town next year.

- SFKK recently got a major waterpark expansion

- SFFT just got a major coaster last year.

- SFNE got a Bizarro refurbish

- TGE has been getting a number of additions recently

- SFOG got a Monster Mansion refurbish

- SFGAdv got a Dark Knight coaster and a Bizarro refurbish

- SFGAm got a DK and Buccaneer Battle

- SFOT is getting a TG makeover

- SFMM is getting two coasters

- SFSTl got Wahoo Racer and Evel Knievel

And despite it's only No. 3 in attendance, SFMM brings in the most revenue for the chain, so that's why it gets the most expensive stuff...

And where does this "FACT" come from.

I always thought Great Adventure had the highest revenue. I have read several times that Great America is the most profitable though. However, I don't know if that is total profit dollars brought in, or profit to expenses ratio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really doubt Six Flags will open any new parks in the country. They are currently in a huge financial mess, and the market is already at capacity. Now, they could buy a park, but I doubt that that will happen, since that is one reason that they are in the mess that they're in now.